Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:50 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,298,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Let me do some research
2008 NL East Final Standings
Phillies 92 - 70
Mets 89 - 73

Phillies Record in September 17 - 8
Mets Record in September13 - 12

NL East Standings September 1st
Philles 75 - 63
Mets 77 - 61

As of September 1st the Phillies had a 44% chance of winning the division. The Mets had a 55% chance.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
Very small rumor. Joe Torre as the next manager of the Mets. Torre currently is denying it, but has complimented the team on its youth...

Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Very small rumor. Joe Torre as the next manager of the Mets. Torre currently is denying it, but has complimented the team on its youth...
Your Friendly Local Mets fan reads this, sighs, and murmurs "Oy, vey." Ten or fifteen years ago...dancing in the streets. Now? I couldn't even begin to tell you who I'd like to see as next year's Met manager (that's mainly because the one person I have strong feelings about, Bobby Valentine, just happens to be on the Wilpon's bad side).

Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Your Friendly Local Mets fan reads this, sighs, and murmurs "Oy, vey." Ten or fifteen years ago...dancing in the streets. Now? I couldn't even begin to tell you who I'd like to see as next year's Met manager (that's mainly because the one person I have strong feelings about, Bobby Valentine, just happens to be on the Wilpon's bad side).
I think that once they get past the Omar Minaya stage, they will improve. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I think that once they get past the Omar Minaya stage, they will improve. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.
I agree with you. The problem is, how much more suffering must we endure before that happens? This is almost--but not quite--as bad as the nightmare inducing M. Donald Grant years in the 1970s. (The saving grace is that, at the very least, Minaya is a baseball guy, while Grant was a stockbroker).

Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,541 times
The Mets don't want Joe Torre, but the talk has caused a minor battle between Torre and Jerry Manuel.

Kind of funny to see Manuel upset that Torre said he would be interested in talking to the Mets if they called about the managerial job that he still has. I've spent some time years back talking to Manuel, and he's a very nice guy, but the truth is he was asking the Mets about the job for months while Willie Randolph still had it, and during part of that time the Mets had no plans to move on from Willie. Is there really any doubt they're moving on from Jerry?

You can't blame these guys for getting upset when someone is talking about their job, but let's face it; "Baseball Manager" is one of those jobs where we all accept that almost every hiring will eventually end with a firing. There are so few exceptions today. Even when both sides agree to make it look like it's something else, it's almost always a firing, even if it's a polite one.

I have a better job in mind for Jerry Manuel at this point anyway, as he will not get another managerial job anytime soon. Broadcasting. He would fit in just about anywhere and be an instant hit. Meanwhile, unless he does something very, very stupid (and he might) Wally Backman will be the next manager of the Mets.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post

I have a better job in mind for Jerry Manuel at this point anyway, as he will not get another managerial job anytime soon. Broadcasting. He would fit in just about anywhere and be an instant hit.

What's he going to broadcast? Bedtime stories?

He speaks sooooo slowly that his press conferences put me to sleep.[img]http://******************/tired-sleeping-smiley-36.gif[/img]

Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
What's he going to broadcast? Bedtime stories?

He speaks sooooo slowly that his press conferences put me to sleep.
So you've only heard him do one thing and you assume that's all he has to offer?

He's never going to be a play-by-play guy, but he could very easily succeed in various other on-air spots. If anything he would have to be reeled in a little, because he can talk an audience's ear off if he's given the opportunity.

What could he possibly say about the team he manages that would be of interest to anyone? In spite of their month of June, which basically amounted to a very long episode of Fantasy Island, they never had a chance.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 AM

69 posts, read 119,318 times
Jerry Manuel: newspaper columnist.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I agree with you. The problem is, how much more suffering must we endure before that happens? This is almost--but not quite--as bad as the nightmare inducing M. Donald Grant years in the 1970s. (The saving grace is that, at the very least, Minaya is a baseball guy, while Grant was a stockbroker).
As a Yankee fan I know what you are going through. The 80's and early 90's were tough for us too. I always hope you do well because the rivalry especially in the playoffs is great.
Torre just came out and apologized to Manuel because of this stir and has denied the rumor.
I think he might be waiting to see what happens to Girardi.
Maybe a return to the Bronx is in his future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball