U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 PM

9,937 posts, read 7,621,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Will somebody ever notice that it should not take 32 days to play 19 games, which during the regular season are played in 20 days at the most?

Anybody seen the long range weather forecast for 9:00 PM in Minneapolis on November 1, while the players playing that night will have had at least 12 days off in October? The average daytime high for the date is 49, and the overnight low 32. The record high is 77, record low 10. Above.
uhhhhh...any of you buttercups bother to read the local forecast? It's been in all the papers.

Weds 7 pm - 68
Thurs 7 pm - 68

Oh no! Bring your parkas, girlie head-warmers and woolie pjs.

"past results are no guarantee of future returns"...yeah! global warming!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM

283 posts, read 337,671 times
Quote:
Will somebody ever notice that it should not take 32 days to play 19 games, which during the regular season are played in 20 days at the most?

Anybody seen the long range weather forecast for 9:00 PM in Minneapolis on November 1, while the players playing that night will have had at least 12 days off in October? The average daytime high for the date is 49, and the overnight low 32. The record high is 77, record low 10. Above.
I have a friend in Minnesota that says if it is too cold up there they may move the series to the Metrodome....Wouldnt something like that be illegal? Would the league allow something like that?

Of the 8 in I think 3 have NO HARDWARE, Rays, Rangers & Giants it would be nice to see a new team win it all. I know every fan has their favorite, but if your team is elimated do you still have interest or move on to football?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 AM

38,741 posts, read 36,255,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcFly View Post
I have a friend in Minnesota that says if it is too cold up there they may move the series to the Metrodome....Wouldnt something like that be illegal? Would the league allow something like that?
I would think that would be a nightmare. Reserved seats are sold to season ticket holders, how would those transfer to a different ballpark? There's no date conflict with the Vikings, though. The Metrodome has 7,000 more seats, and can be expanded to 16,000 more seats than Target Field, so who knows, maybe they'll move it just for the money. Imagine---MLB doing something just for the money! Just think, 48,000 more tickets at $100 a pop, and all they need to do is blame the weather. I bet they're already ordering the little rubber thumb-socks to count all that money.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-05-2010 at 12:28 AM..

Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I have a friend in Minnesota that says if it is too cold up there they may move the series to the Metrodome....
100% wrong

Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 AM

Quote:
I would think that would be a nightmare. Reserved seats are sold to season ticket holders, how would those transfer to a different ballpark? There's no date conflict with the Vikings, though. The Metrodome has 7,000 more seats, and can be expanded to 16,000 more seats than Target Field, so who knows, maybe they'll move it just for the money. Imagine---MLB doing something just for the money! Just think, 48,000 more tickets at $100 a pop, and all they need to do is blame the weather. I bet they're already ordering the little rubber thumb-socks to count all that money.
Flawed. Twins would make more money at Target Field...they got virtually no money from the suite sales at the dome and nothing from the concession sales. Concessions alone have avg $40/person/game at Target field.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 AM

3,076 posts, read 2,845,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Reds drive to glory was done in something of a bland way. They finished at .562 ball and they seldom strayed far from that percentage all year. They had one seven game winning streak in August, they had two five game losing streaks, and never more than four in a row of either at any other time.

Their zenith was September 4th when they reached .585 ball, but the five game losing streak followed immediately and they tucked themselves back into their .565 comfort zone.

On June 4th they were at .564. On July 4th they were at .566. On August 4th it was .560...and October 4th they finished at .562.

Their season never seemed to reach a crescendo, nor plunge into canyons.

They were good, but they were also blah.
Blah? Maybe they weren't on ESPN because they aren't from NY or Boston, but I don't think 45 come from behind wins is "blah". Nor having the probably MVP on the team and a $100 millon payroll. They led the NL in offense, although they did struggle the last month. While they have no big-names to the average fan, everyone in their starting lineup can rake.

That being said, I think Philly rolls them. Philly has just been way too hot for awhile now.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 PM

24,764 posts, read 30,003,684 times
Quote:
Where is Cincinnati?
In Ohio, right where I left it.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,202,896 times
I feel good for both Reds and Rangers fans - they've been waiting a long time for another playoff appearance. Mind you, as a Phillies fan, I want to see the Reds make a quick exit from the playoffs and if the Phillies and Rangers make the World Series, after the cheers for Cliff Lee's introduction have subsided I know many of my fellow Philadelphia fans will bring their "Dallas Sucks" chants with them across Pattison Avenue.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 AM

10,765 posts, read 6,480,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Blah? Maybe they weren't on ESPN because they aren't from NY or Boston, but I don't think 45 come from behind wins is "blah". Nor having the probably MVP on the team and a $100 millon payroll. They led the NL in offense, although they did struggle the last month. While they have no big-names to the average fan, everyone in their starting lineup can rake.

My argument was not that the games and players were blah, rather it was the nature of their stable win/lose pattern. They established themselves at the .565 level in June, and never strayed far away from that mark through the end of the season. They were steady and relentless rather than marked by highs and lows in the distribution of their wins.

The Reds were not blah, it was their undramatic drive to the division title which lacked fireworks. The blame belongs to the other clubs in the division for not mounting stronger challenges.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 AM

8,126 posts, read 7,996,746 times
What I like about this year is there is no clear cut favorite to go all the way. Many teams could possibly take it. That makes it more exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball