U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who ya got??
Rangers in 4 2 6.67%
Rangers in 5 1 3.33%
Rangers in 6 9 30.00%
Rangers in 7 1 3.33%
Giants in 4 2 6.67%
Giants in 5 3 10.00%
Giants in 6 9 30.00%
Giants in 7 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,161,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I have no interest in ballet, but I would never seek out a dance forum to announce this.
But if you were a huge ballet fan and a paritcular ballet that you did not care for won whatever is the equivalent of an oscar for ballet is, you may voice your opinion in that spot. Most of the people that are saying this are indeed baseball fans, and unhappy with the matchup (I dont agree with them for the record) in the most important series of the year.

Besides most people in here hating are Phillies or Yankee fans that are bitter they didn't reach it, I can't say I blame them. Having your team so close, and then not make it is pretty crushing and its not totally unreasonable for them to be vocal in their opinion of this series sucking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,247,207 times
Texas’ Curious Rotation Choices | FanGraphs Baseball
by Dave Cameron

The gist of the article is this:

More dubious managing by Ron Washington who has decided to start CJ Wilson in game 2 in San Francisco and Lewis in game 3 in Texas.

CJ Wilson has Ground Ball/Fly Ball/Line Drive rates of: 49/33/17. A lot of ground balls and few fly balls
Colby Lewis has Ground Ball/Fly Ball/Line Drive rates of: 38/45/17. A lot of fly balls and few ground balls

San Francisco has park factors of 82 home runs for left-handed hitters and 99 for right-handed hitters. Numbers below 100 indicate that less home runs are hit in SF than in a neutral park.

Texas has park factors of 118 for left-handed hitters and 105 for right-handed hitters. Numbers above 100 indicate that more home runs are hit in Texas than in a neutral park.

It's easier to hit home runs in Texas than in San Francisco. So why would you start a fly ball pitcher in Texas and a ground ball pitcher in San Francisco?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:11 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,481,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Besides most people in here hating are Phillies or Yankee fans that are bitter they didn't reach it, I can't say I blame them. Having your team so close, and then not make it is pretty crushing and its not totally unreasonable for them to be vocal in their opinion of this series sucking.
I can sum that up in two words: sore loser.

Two more: childish behavior.

A little introspection by those who insult for the sole purpose of self gratification would reveal that they are not fans at all, having no respect for the league in which "their" team plays.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM

36,186 posts, read 17,186,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
People not caring isn't relevant to a business that is entertainment based? Wow, are you the former marketing director for the Rangers?

"appropriate behavior"? Would a pompous lecture fall under that category?
I do not understand the nature of your complaint, which leads me to suspect that you did not understand the nature of my points.

I note that this did not stop you from tossing around the insults.

What sort of relevancy are you claiming exists between expressions of indifference toward the particular WS participants and the MLB powers that be? They cannot change their system so as to limit the potential winners to only big market areas, and the television ratings for the Series provides them with 100 % of the information that they need to evaluate how popular a meeting between two particular teams was. Where in this equation does someone's expression of indifference on an internet chatboard come into play? That is what I would need to know in order to understand what it is that disturbs you about my post. You claim relevancy for it, but I would need an explanation as to the how and why.

Last edited by Grandstander; 10-26-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM

276 posts, read 428,248 times
I, for one, am more intrigued by a series such as this with two teams that virtually no one expected to be in it at the end, as opposed to the perennial powerhouses . It's a refreshing sight to see organizations lower on the payroll totem pole doing this well (and this coming from a diehard red sox fan). Many casual fans might not feel the same, but a series like this is great for baseball.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I can sum that up in two words: sore loser.

Two more: childish behavior.

A little introspection by those who insult for the sole purpose of self gratification would reveal that they are not fans at all, having no respect for the league in which "their" team plays.
Prolly. I do know though that I always end up rooting against whoever knocks my team out of the hunt, so I can't blame any yankee or philly fan for being bitter. Some people root for the team that knocked them out because they have AL or NL allegiance, not so much for me. I rooted like heck against the twins since they got superhot the last 2 months of the reg season and stole my WhiteSox playoff spot....

Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM

884 posts, read 579,534 times
I think both the Giants and Rangers overcame the odds and rightly should be here. Giants in 6 as their pitching and bullpen are solid.

Last edited by Iluvmycountry; 10-26-2010 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM

36,186 posts, read 17,186,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
But if you were a huge ballet fan and a paritcular ballet that you did not care for won whatever is the equivalent of an oscar for ballet is, you may voice your opinion in that spot. Most of the people that are saying this are indeed baseball fans, and unhappy with the matchup (I dont agree with them for the record) in the most important series of the year.

What precisely would be the alternative advocacy? That only big market teams be allowed to appear in the World Series? That any Series which failed to feature one or two teams from NY, Boston, Chicago, LA or Philadelphia, is somehow too illegitimate to be worth watching? Such a complaint strikes at the very heart of the MLB structure...that no team is guaranteed anything, all must be won on the field.

Is that the justification behind loudly voicing one's indifference?

However....look back on the World Series played in your lifetime as a fan and rate the very best ones. None have gone seven games since 2002, a series which featured the Giants and Angels. There have been three four game sweeps and two 4-1 triumphs since then, not electric stuff.

2001 was a great one...that was Yankees vs Diamonbacks. The three Yankee wins before that were 4-0, 4-0, and 4-1, but then in '97 we had another seven game sizzler...Cleveland and Miami.

'96, '95, '93 and '92 were all 4-2 affairs, but '91 was unforgettable,.that was the Braves and the Twins.

In the 19 Series covered above, we find four seven game Series which were well worth watching. Of the eight slots available in those Series, two were occupied by one of the big media market teams, (NY '01 and LA '02) and the other six slots went to one of those illegitimate teams which generates so much indifference.

In those 19 seasons, there were five four game sweeps...'98, '99,'04,'05, 'and '07. The Yankees were involved in two of them, the Red Sox were involved in two of them, the only sweep not featuring one of those mega media teams was '05 when the White Sox swept the Astros.

Thus, in the last 19 World Series, mega media teams are represented just twice in the best four played, but represented four times in the five worst.

I think the conclusion is obvious...that the quality of the Series does not depend on the identity of the particpants, rather it is the quality of the play.

If people wish to risk missing a high quality Series on the basis of the teams not being glamorous enough, that of course is their choice.

But is that something boast worthy?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM

Grandstander,

I wasn't saying I agree with them or that I think it is productive to say that it will be a boring series, I was just stating that I can understand their motives.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 AM

908 posts, read 1,505,425 times
I think more people would watch the series if they didnt have to see grown men shaking pom poms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball