U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which "Big 3" would you prefer?
Glavine/Maddux/Smoltz 4 26.67%
Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels 4 26.67%
Tim Hudson/Barry Zito/Mark Mulder (the Oakland yrs) 0 0%
Tim Lincecum/Matt Cain/Jonathan Sanchez 2 13.33%
Johnson/Schilling/Brian Anderson 2 13.33%
Clemens/Pettitte/Mussina 0 0%
Gooden/Darling/Fernandez 2 13.33%
other... 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:57 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 3,110,385 times
Reputation: 1065
Default Which "Big 3" pitching staff is better in your opinion?

Okay, so I was inspired to do this poll months ago but held off a little. I was listening to local ATL radio before the 2010 playoffs started and the discussion was about Philadelphia's "Big 3"...long story short, David Pollock said that Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels were the best pitching staff within the last 20 years (my reaction to the left). It's not that serious but then his co-host was like, "What about Tom, John, and Greg?", and Pollock was like, "No, they're talented, but they're nibblers. They aren't power pitchers."

Of course I turned the station because I felt the intelligence leaking out of my skull because it's 3 HOFers vs 1HOFer. In their prime, who'd you rather have on your team? Which set of 3 has the most talent? Compare/contrast, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:56 PM
 
3,551 posts, read 3,629,074 times
Reputation: 1521
I'm too young for Gooden/Darling..... but i picked schilling/johnson I would also add Pedro/Schilling/lowe or wakefield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 3,110,385 times
Reputation: 1065
^^^I've only saw some tapes of the Gooden/Darling/Fernandez trifecta. I forgot to put down the Wainwright/Carpenter/Garcia trifecta, my fault. I'm going to put my vote in, it should be no shock to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:24 PM
 
12,673 posts, read 11,677,518 times
Reputation: 2477
Lincecum/Cain/Sanchez and that is why Giants are in the WS up 1-0 in the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,940 posts, read 8,661,949 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Okay, so I was inspired to do this poll months ago but held off a little. I was listening to local ATL radio before the 2010 playoffs started and the discussion was about Philadelphia's "Big 3"...long story short, David Pollock said that Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels were the best pitching staff within the last 20 years (my reaction to the left). It's not that serious but then his co-host was like, "What about Tom, John, and Greg?", and Pollock was like, "No, they're talented, but they're nibblers. They aren't power pitchers."

Of course I turned the station because I felt the intelligence leaking out of my skull because it's 3 HOFers vs 1HOFer. In their prime, who'd you rather have on your team? Which set of 3 has the most talent? Compare/contrast, whatever.
Maddux is a lock to be a HOF....but Glavine and Smoltz are borderline. As with this Phils staff...Doc will be in, Oswalt probably not, and Hamels is still young, so who knows?

Sure, H2O are more power pitchers, but I would say from a dominance standpoint, the 90s Braves staff and the current Phils staff are about even. What we need in Philly first is the championship that Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz won.....the Phils won 2 years ago with Hamels/Blanton/Myers/Moyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-28-2010, 09:50 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,940 posts, read 8,661,949 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Lincecum/Cain/Sanchez and that is why Giants are in the WS up 1-0 in the series.
We're talking best of all time....the Giants have a long ways to go before they're in that conversation. Lincecum will go down as a great pitcher, and Cain might also. I don't see Sanchez as ever amounting to more than a decent #3. He gets rattled way too easily, as we saw in Game 6 of the NLCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-28-2010, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
9,747 posts, read 5,259,435 times
Reputation: 6948
If we are reaching back in time we must include the late '60's. early '70's Orioles group of Palmer, McNally and Cuellar, as well as the early '60's Dodger combo of Koufax, Drysdale and either Osteen or Podres.

Reaching way back, the last time the Cubs won a WS was in 1908 and they did it behind the extraordinary pitching of Three Fingered Brown, Ed Ruelbach and Jack Pfiester.

And how can we be having this thread without mention of the late '40's/early '50's Cleveland collective of Bob Feller, Early Wynn and Bob Lemon/Mike Garcia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-28-2010, 05:06 PM
 
12,673 posts, read 11,677,518 times
Reputation: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
We're talking best of all time....the Giants have a long ways to go before they're in that conversation. Lincecum will go down as a great pitcher, and Cain might also. I don't see Sanchez as ever amounting to more than a decent #3. He gets rattled way too easily, as we saw in Game 6 of the NLCS.
Lincecum will go down as a legend. He has 2 Cy Young's already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-31-2010, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Elizabethton, TN
5,617 posts, read 2,085,413 times
Reputation: 1773
How about The Oakland A's' Hunter, Holtzman and Blue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-31-2010, 01:10 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 3,110,385 times
Reputation: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Maddux is a lock to be a HOF....but Glavine and Smoltz are borderline. As with this Phils staff...Doc will be in, Oswalt probably not, and Hamels is still young, so who knows?

Sure, H2O are more power pitchers, but I would say from a dominance standpoint, the 90s Braves staff and the current Phils staff are about even. What we need in Philly first is the championship that Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz won.....the Phils won 2 years ago with Hamels/Blanton/Myers/Moyer.
I think all 3 of ATL's killers from the 90s would make it, easy. I agree that Halladay has it and (to me) Oswalt's borderline and I don't know about Hamels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If we are reaching back in time we must include the late '60's. early '70's Orioles group of Palmer, McNally and Cuellar, as well as the early '60's Dodger combo of Koufax, Drysdale and either Osteen or Podres.

Reaching way back, the last time the Cubs won a WS was in 1908 and they did it behind the extraordinary pitching of Three Fingered Brown, Ed Ruelbach and Jack Pfiester.

And how can we be having this thread without mention of the late '40's/early '50's Cleveland collective of Bob Feller, Early Wynn and Bob Lemon/Mike Garcia?
Grand, you left me hanging there. Do you have any links expounding there greatness? Who had the better pitching repertoire? Who' you prefer? Who faced better hitter? etc. I picked those from (basically) my time, 86-present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top