U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
621 posts, read 1,062,435 times
Reputation: 176
Dont fault the Yankees for being Baseball' stimulus package. They earn that money and have to give it away to teams that liek to pocket it. See Pirates and marlins. I don't want to ehar anyone complain about the Yankees' financial advantage. They promote that brand to the fullest and instead of pocketing the profits, they do whatever it takes to be competitive year in and year out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,010,389 times
Reputation: 6501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
Dont fault the Yankees for being Baseball' stimulus package. They earn that money and have to give it away to teams that liek to pocket it. See Pirates and marlins. I don't want to ehar anyone complain about the Yankees' financial advantage. They promote that brand to the fullest and instead of pocketing the profits, they do whatever it takes to be competitive year in and year out.
There are PLENTY of other threads for this particular discussion but I will ask a couple of questions at risk of derailing this thread

What do you think the Yankees do with their profits if they do not pocket them?

Where do you think the Yankees rank in terms of yearly profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Texas
11,855 posts, read 6,834,976 times
Reputation: 49771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck91NYG View Post
he had his first down year in his what, 14 year career? LOL. Sure age isn't on his side but the chances are he will have a better season next year. He's going to get overpaid because he is Derek Jeter and he is this generations Joe DiMaggio for Yankee fans, this cannot be disputed. He is the face of the Yankees.

Are you a Mets fan?

The guy is going to have 3000 hits as a 36 year old. The guy is everything that is right with baseball. IF there is one player that I sure know didn't take steroids, it's Jeter. he's been a class act since he's been here
Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,060 posts, read 18,449,242 times
Reputation: 10077
What the Yankees are doing right now isn't entirely original. They're stage-managing publicity for themselves. Yesterday, there was a big, splashy back cover with the ominous words, "Yanks, Jeter $50 million apart."

Mark my words: they're going to get closer and closer as we progress through the winter. Then--who would have imagined it?--Jeter will sign a big contract and it will be love and kisses all around.

They're just doing what they always do: upstaging whatever else is going on in the New York sports world. Normally they keep the Mets off the back pages, but now they're getting ambitious and going after football, basketball and hockey all at the same time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,728 posts, read 34,414,605 times
Reputation: 28431
As a Yankee hater who is sick to death of the hype, it pains me to say this, but Jeter might be the best baseball player of this generation. There are better pure hitters, and there are better pure fielders, but there are no better baseball players, and I sure wish he had played for somebody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
PDD
 
5,635 posts, read 5,155,042 times
Reputation: 6060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As a Yankee hater who is sick to death of the hype, it pains me to say this, but Jeter might be the best baseball player of this generation. There are better pure hitters, and there are better pure fielders, but there are no better baseball players, and I sure wish he had played for somebody else.
I totally agree with your assessment of Jeter but why be a Yankee hater? What have the Yankee players done to make you hate them so much? Now a Yankee fan hater I can agree with, they are just a little obnoxious.

Met fan here who does not hate the Yankees. Also a Jeter fan.

On second thought maybe if I was 12 years old I would be a Yankee hater.

Last edited by PDD; 11-23-2010 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: more thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 02:14 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 3,832,692 times
Reputation: 3081
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Do you think he's worth the $$$ the Yankees are eventually going to give him?


I say NO and in fact they should let him go. He's no better than an average shortstop which they can get someone else to play that position for MUCH CHEAPER. I also don't go for this he's the face of the franchise and team captain BS as captains DO come and go.
Derek Jeter needs to wake up and smell the coffee. He's not worth $18 to $20 million a year anymore. He probably needs the Yankees more than the Yankees need him. Neither party really benefits by him getting 3,000 hits and ending his career in another uniform. Despite what you say he's the face of the franchise of this team's glory years from the mid-1990 to now.

If he's smart he'll sign a three year deal for between $25 and $30 million and call it a career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,728 posts, read 34,414,605 times
Reputation: 28431
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I totally agree with your assessment of Jeter but why be a Yankee hater? What have the Yankee players done to make you hate them so much? Now a Yankee fan hater I can agree with, they are just a little obnoxious.

Met fan here who does not hate the Yankees. Also a Jeter fan.

On second thought maybe if I was 12 years old I would be a Yankee hater.
"Yankee hater" is an idiom for a person who hates the big money steam-roller philosophy of the organization, as well as the way the media kisses their ass because it is profitable for the media to do so, and forcing me to watch every Yankee game that falls on a national telecast day. Buck and McCarver are bigger Yankee homers than Michael Kay, whom I actually don't mind listening to. "Yankee hater" says nothing about the players, whom, by all accounts, mostly seem to be relatively decent human beings.

I also hate having to watch the NY Giants every Sunday, no matter what region I live in. I hate them almost as much as Notre Dame. I can remember some decades ago when one of the national networks televised every Notre Dame game for several seasons. It made me want to throw up.

Of course you're a Mets fan who doesn't hate the Yankees. You're a home town booster, who roots for all things New York, good or bad, win (always) or lose (maybe). Just like every New Yorker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 AM
PDD
 
5,635 posts, read 5,155,042 times
Reputation: 6060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Yankee hater" is an idiom for a person who hates the big money steam-roller philosophy of the organization, as well as the way the media kisses their ass because it is profitable for the media to do so, and forcing me to watch every Yankee game that falls on a national telecast day. Buck and McCarver are bigger Yankee homers than Michael Kay, whom I actually don't mind listening to. "Yankee hater" says nothing about the players, whom, by all accounts, mostly seem to be relatively decent human beings.

I also hate having to watch the NY Giants every Sunday, no matter what region I live in. I hate them almost as much as Notre Dame. I can remember some decades ago when one of the national networks televised every Notre Dame game for several seasons. It made me want to throw up.

Of course you're a Mets fan who doesn't hate the Yankees. You're a home town booster, who roots for all things New York, good or bad, win (always) or lose (maybe). Just like every New Yorker.
So what's so bad about being a 'home town" rooter, It makes more sense than all those "jump on board" Dallas Cowboy fans from a while back. I wonder where they went?
While it is true I root for the Mets and Jets I do not hate the Yankees or Giants, that's kid stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2010, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,010,389 times
Reputation: 6501
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If he's smart he'll sign a three year deal for between $25 and $30 million and call it a career.
That'd be pretty dumb since the Yankees have offered 3 years $45 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top