Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,563,914 times

Advertisements

Do you think he's worth the $$$ the Yankees are eventually going to give him?

I say NO and in fact they should let him go. He's no better than an average shortstop which they can get someone else to play that position for MUCH CHEAPER. I also don't go for this he's the face of the franchise and team captain BS as captains DO come and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,452,728 times
He should not be paid like a top 5 short stop thats for sure. I think the only way he stays is if he takes a HUGE paycut, but who knows. The Yankees can print money anyways.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,999,864 times
The time has arrived for the Yankees to pay for their own promotion of Jeter as Mister Captain Yankee...the human icon for all things good and virtuous in pinstripes. I do not blame Jeter, it was the team which decided that it needed a captain, the team which constructed the image that it wished to project. Now it is a prisoner of those efforts. By placing Jeter on a Ruth/DiMaggio/Mantle level, the team must now appear to be grateful for the supposed array of intangible benefits such doings bring about.

It will not be possible to treat Jeter as just another roster question, it will not be possible to employ him with a contract which is in line with the on field production which is likely. The Yankees pushed that intangibles line for 15 seasons and if they let Jeter walk, or try and lowball him with a normal contract, they are invalidating what they have been insisting is true...that Jeter has winning value beyond his stats, that the Yankees do not win on talent alone, but because of some sense of Yankee pride which exists on the club.....embodied by Derek Jeter.

They will wind up paying heavily for their own bs.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,497,177 times
Once upon a time, there was a man by the name of Branch Rickey. He believed that the right time to move a player was when that player was in his prime. Holding onto players when they passed their prime was a major league no-no in his book. Apparently, there are general managers who haven't read Rickey's book.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The time has arrived for the Yankees to pay for their own promotion of Jeter as Mister Captain Yankee...the human icon for all things good and virtuous in pinstripes. I do not blame Jeter, it was the team which decided that it needed a captain, the team which constructed the image that it wished to project. Now it is a prisoner of those efforts. By placing Jeter on a Ruth/DiMaggio/Mantle level, the team must now appear to be grateful for the supposed array of intangible benefits such doings bring about.

It will not be possible to treat Jeter as just another roster question, it will not be possible to employ him with a contract which is in line with the on field production which is likely. The Yankees pushed that intangibles line for 15 seasons and if they let Jeter walk, or try and lowball him with a normal contract, they are invalidating what they have been insisting is true...that Jeter has winning value beyond his stats, that the Yankees do not win on talent alone, but because of some sense of Yankee pride which exists on the club.....embodied by Derek Jeter.

They will wind up paying heavily for their own bs.
Yankee pride my . More like Yankee $$$, keeping that nose clean and saying the appropriate things is what he is.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,092,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Yankee pride my . More like Yankee $$$, keeping that nose clean and saying the appropriate things is what he is.
Did you ever think that maybe the money coming to him was for many years of hard work, loyalty, and not being a media fu-- up? I think all baseball salaries are crazy but considering all factors he is worth whatever he gets.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Did you ever think that maybe the money coming to him was for many years of hard work, loyalty, and not being a media fu-- up? I think all baseball salaries are crazy but considering all factors he is worth whatever he gets.
Nope.

Why because he kept his nose clean and says the appropriate things?

$$$ from hard work and loyalty = Past contracts kept that in check.

Take away the $$$ from the past and LONG TERM hard work / loyalty would almost never exist.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:13 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,092,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Nope.

Why because he kept his nose clean and says the appropriate things?

$$$ from hard work and loyalty = Past contracts kept that in check.

Take away the $$$ from the past and LONG TERM hard work / loyalty would almost never exist.
Bonds made a ton of money. So did Manny. Why do you think one is gone from baseball and everyone else thinks of the other as a headcase and no one knows if or where he will play next year? Because they are problem individuals. Jeter keeps his private life fairly private and doesn't make too much media noise and that's how most GM's like it. He will get what is deserved and probably on a 3 year deal. Yes, baseball salaries are crazy but it's more than just about your on field performance.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Bonds made a ton of money. So did Manny. Why do you think one is gone from baseball and everyone else thinks of the other as a headcase and no one knows if or where he will play next year? Because they are problem individuals. Jeter keeps his private life fairly private and doesn't make too much media noise and that's how most GM's like it. He will get what is deserved and probably on a 3 year deal. Yes, baseball salaries are crazy but it's more than just about your on field performance.
That does it! I'll call the GM's and tell them I'm available to be signed! I can wear a baseball uniform and play nice on and off the baseball field.

Still doesn't make sense to me.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,999,864 times
It struck me some years back that the great advantage to being able to outspend the competition isn't just collecting the best talents, it is also being able to make mistakes and not be crippled as a consequence. For most clubs, if they take a chance on a mega deal and the player turns out to be underwhelming, they have to live with their misfortune and typically they are unable to pursue any other high priced talent until the bad contract expires.

Not so with the Yankees, if one of their fat contracts backfires on them, they eat the contract and hire some other costly player to replace him. When Chuck Knoblauch suddenly forgets how to throw..and hit, when Hideki Irabu and Jose Contreras and Kevin Brown and A.J. Burnett and Carl Pavano turn out to be mediocre or bad pitchers...the Yankeees swallow their salaries and still are able to outspend the other clubs to hire replacements.

That...that ability to not be destroyed by their mistakes, allows the Yankees to take greater chances with their recruitment of players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball