U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 PM

13,302 posts, read 6,516,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
So your point is if he takes more money to do what he is good at thats a bad thing? So I guess if another company then the one you worked for now offered you guys an outlandish sum of money to go work for them in this economy you all would say no? I highly doubt it. Everyone else in the world can take more pay except athletes? WHY???
I never figured that out either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM

18,820 posts, read 7,017,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I guess winning wasn't that important!!!

7 years 126 million with the Nationals

*** Well at least he isn't a Red Sox guy***
He's a five tool player. But does only two well.

He is maybe the worst base runner since Von Hayes.

Not enough power to justify all of the strike outs.

I will not miss him.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,159,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
So your point is if he takes more money to do what he is good at thats a bad thing? So I guess if another company then the one you worked for now offered you guys an outlandish sum of money to go work for them in this economy you all would say no? I highly doubt it. Everyone else in the world can take more pay except athletes? WHY???
If the Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Phils, Braves, Rangers (contenders) offered me $115-120 million and Washington offered me $126 million, I wouldn't be with the Nats. I guarantee that he could have gotten similiar money with the Red sox. He fits their prototype quite well. He just took the most money offered. It's simple. It shows the priority of certain players. Either way, he was going to get paid but this was the difference between Greed vs. Winning.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 AM

10,992 posts, read 6,769,663 times
After the 1992 season, Barry Bonds left a Pirates team that had won 95, 98 and 96 games the last three seasons and three consecutive division titles. He signed as a free agent with San Francisco which had won 85, 75 and 72 games over those same last three seasons. The six year, 43 million dollar deal he inked was the largest contract in MLB history at the time.

May not what is being said here about Werth also be said about Bonds?

Greed, greed, greed.

Winning? Who cares?

In 1993, the Giants won 103 games.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:53 PM

13,302 posts, read 6,516,827 times
The Nats actually have a lot of young talent coming up (Strasburgh, Harper, Zimmermann).

Instead of seeing this as 'Greed'.

Maybe it's a challenge, or a bit of forward thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If the Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Phils, Braves, Rangers (contenders) offered me $115-120 million and Washington offered me $126 million, I wouldn't be with the Nats.
So, you are saying that you are a frontrunner. You'd rather go to an established team and be content to stay in the background while other players take the glory or criticism instead of taking the challenge of being 'The Man' on a lesser team.

See, these stupid character judgements can go both ways.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 AM

16,547 posts, read 7,052,888 times
With the Werth and Crawford deals, does St; Louis need to offer AP a controlling equity stake in their team?

With attendence and revenue not rebounding due to economy, it appears player salaries have beaten the country out of the recession.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,401,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
not quite....seems you're forgetting about a guy named Howard....not to mention Rollins, Hamels, Oswalt....
Granted, I'm only judging from the playoffs, but I'd take Werth over all 4 of them for sure. Howard is overrated and Rollins is over the hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
After the 1992 season, Barry Bonds left a Pirates team that had won 95, 98 and 96 games the last three seasons and three consecutive division titles. He signed as a free agent with San Francisco which had won 85, 75 and 72 games over those same last three seasons. The six year, 43 million dollar deal he inked was the largest contract in MLB history at the time.

May not what is being said here about Werth also be said about Bonds?

Greed, greed, greed.

Winning? Who cares?

In 1993, the Giants won 103 games.
.....and missed the playoffs

Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 AM

10,992 posts, read 6,769,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post

.....and missed the playoffs
True, but I wasn't going to blame Bonds for Atlanta winning 104 games that year.

If the Nats win 103 games in 2011, but miss the post season, I'm thinking that their fans will still find it a more interesting year than the ones where they win around 70 games.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,426,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
True, but I wasn't going to blame Bonds for Atlanta winning 104 games that year.

If the Nats win 103 games in 2011, but miss the post season, I'm thinking that their fans will still find it a more interesting year than the ones where they win around 70 games.
There's about as much of a chance of the Detroit Lions winning the Super Bowl this year as there is the Nats winning 103 games. Actually, its much more probable that the Lions win the Super Bowl.

Winning 80 games would be exceeding expectations for the Nats.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM

8,126 posts, read 8,159,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The Nats actually have a lot of young talent coming up (Strasburgh, Harper, Zimmermann).

Instead of seeing this as 'Greed'.

Maybe it's a challenge, or a bit of forward thinking.

So, you are saying that you are a frontrunner. You'd rather go to an established team and be content to stay in the background while other players take the glory or criticism instead of taking the challenge of being 'The Man' on a lesser team.

See, these stupid character judgements can go both ways.
There are a few different types of players in baseball. There is the loyal guy who wants to play his whole career for the team he starts with (Mauer, Jeter, etc...). There's the guy who was forced to leave or traded away who wants to make difference with a team to put them over the top ( Crawford, Lee, Halladay,etc...). Then there is the guy who will take the largets amount no matter where it takes them (Werth, Rickey Henderson, Dunn, Manny Ramirez,etc...)
I can't blame the Nats because they are trying to build up their team and are adding some quality but they definitely need a few more to really make a difference. Just like the way Lebron, Wade, and Bosh collaborated; it also is done in baseball, especially if your agent also represents another friend. That's how certain teams can all of a sudden be in the mix for a playoff run (White Sox). I just think that Werth's motivation had nothing to do with a contender being built in Washington, but rather the wad of cash being waived in his face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball