U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,020,838 times
Reputation: 6501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
So your point is if he takes more money to do what he is good at thats a bad thing? So I guess if another company then the one you worked for now offered you guys an outlandish sum of money to go work for them in this economy you all would say no? I highly doubt it. Everyone else in the world can take more pay except athletes? WHY???
I never figured that out either
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
 
17,976 posts, read 6,251,773 times
Reputation: 7457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I guess winning wasn't that important!!!

7 years 126 million with the Nationals

*** Well at least he isn't a Red Sox guy***
He's a five tool player. But does only two well.

He is maybe the worst base runner since Von Hayes.

Not enough power to justify all of the strike outs.

I will not miss him.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,059 posts, read 7,714,034 times
Reputation: 2291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
So your point is if he takes more money to do what he is good at thats a bad thing? So I guess if another company then the one you worked for now offered you guys an outlandish sum of money to go work for them in this economy you all would say no? I highly doubt it. Everyone else in the world can take more pay except athletes? WHY???
If the Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Phils, Braves, Rangers (contenders) offered me $115-120 million and Washington offered me $126 million, I wouldn't be with the Nats. I guarantee that he could have gotten similiar money with the Red sox. He fits their prototype quite well. He just took the most money offered. It's simple. It shows the priority of certain players. Either way, he was going to get paid but this was the difference between Greed vs. Winning.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
10,458 posts, read 5,975,471 times
Reputation: 7593
After the 1992 season, Barry Bonds left a Pirates team that had won 95, 98 and 96 games the last three seasons and three consecutive division titles. He signed as a free agent with San Francisco which had won 85, 75 and 72 games over those same last three seasons. The six year, 43 million dollar deal he inked was the largest contract in MLB history at the time.

May not what is being said here about Werth also be said about Bonds?

Greed, greed, greed.

Winning? Who cares?

In 1993, the Giants won 103 games.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,020,838 times
Reputation: 6501
The Nats actually have a lot of young talent coming up (Strasburgh, Harper, Zimmermann).

Instead of seeing this as 'Greed'.

Maybe it's a challenge, or a bit of forward thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If the Red Sox, White Sox, Yankees, Cubs, Phils, Braves, Rangers (contenders) offered me $115-120 million and Washington offered me $126 million, I wouldn't be with the Nats.
So, you are saying that you are a frontrunner. You'd rather go to an established team and be content to stay in the background while other players take the glory or criticism instead of taking the challenge of being 'The Man' on a lesser team.

See, these stupid character judgements can go both ways.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 AM
 
15,710 posts, read 6,175,151 times
Reputation: 5710
With the Werth and Crawford deals, does St; Louis need to offer AP a controlling equity stake in their team?

With attendence and revenue not rebounding due to economy, it appears player salaries have beaten the country out of the recession.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 AM
 
1,077 posts, read 1,303,140 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
not quite....seems you're forgetting about a guy named Howard....not to mention Rollins, Hamels, Oswalt....
Granted, I'm only judging from the playoffs, but I'd take Werth over all 4 of them for sure. Howard is overrated and Rollins is over the hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
After the 1992 season, Barry Bonds left a Pirates team that had won 95, 98 and 96 games the last three seasons and three consecutive division titles. He signed as a free agent with San Francisco which had won 85, 75 and 72 games over those same last three seasons. The six year, 43 million dollar deal he inked was the largest contract in MLB history at the time.

May not what is being said here about Werth also be said about Bonds?

Greed, greed, greed.

Winning? Who cares?

In 1993, the Giants won 103 games.
.....and missed the playoffs
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
10,458 posts, read 5,975,471 times
Reputation: 7593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post


.....and missed the playoffs
True, but I wasn't going to blame Bonds for Atlanta winning 104 games that year.


If the Nats win 103 games in 2011, but miss the post season, I'm thinking that their fans will still find it a more interesting year than the ones where they win around 70 games.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 AM
 
Location: NE PA
7,940 posts, read 9,033,746 times
Reputation: 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
True, but I wasn't going to blame Bonds for Atlanta winning 104 games that year.


If the Nats win 103 games in 2011, but miss the post season, I'm thinking that their fans will still find it a more interesting year than the ones where they win around 70 games.
There's about as much of a chance of the Detroit Lions winning the Super Bowl this year as there is the Nats winning 103 games. Actually, its much more probable that the Lions win the Super Bowl.

Winning 80 games would be exceeding expectations for the Nats.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,059 posts, read 7,714,034 times
Reputation: 2291
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The Nats actually have a lot of young talent coming up (Strasburgh, Harper, Zimmermann).

Instead of seeing this as 'Greed'.

Maybe it's a challenge, or a bit of forward thinking.



So, you are saying that you are a frontrunner. You'd rather go to an established team and be content to stay in the background while other players take the glory or criticism instead of taking the challenge of being 'The Man' on a lesser team.

See, these stupid character judgements can go both ways.
There are a few different types of players in baseball. There is the loyal guy who wants to play his whole career for the team he starts with (Mauer, Jeter, etc...). There's the guy who was forced to leave or traded away who wants to make difference with a team to put them over the top ( Crawford, Lee, Halladay,etc...). Then there is the guy who will take the largets amount no matter where it takes them (Werth, Rickey Henderson, Dunn, Manny Ramirez,etc...)
I can't blame the Nats because they are trying to build up their team and are adding some quality but they definitely need a few more to really make a difference. Just like the way Lebron, Wade, and Bosh collaborated; it also is done in baseball, especially if your agent also represents another friend. That's how certain teams can all of a sudden be in the mix for a playoff run (White Sox). I just think that Werth's motivation had nothing to do with a contender being built in Washington, but rather the wad of cash being waived in his face.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top