Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

Hey, take the money if somebody is fool enough to give you that much. But if he never wanted to see another World Series again he could have just gone to the Mets....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:56 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy tea View Post
hey, take the money if somebody is fool enough to give you that much. But if he never wanted to see another world series again he could have just gone to the mets....
Nice!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Hey, take the money if somebody is fool enough to give you that much. But if he never wanted to see another World Series again he could have just gone to the Mets....
The Mets have already signed way too many , near the end of their careers/past their prime type players. Glad to see they passed on him.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
The problem with Washington is that they do this and then that's it. A few more solid role players and maybe they could be a force but just adding JW wont put them near the top of the division.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
he's not even that good to be paid that much and hes older.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
The difference between Werth and Dunn is not the difference between contending and winning 69 games as did the Nationals last year. It might be the difference between winning 69 games and winning 73 games.

Dunn signed with Chicago for four years at 14 million a year. Werth signed for seven years at 22.2 million.

Had the Nationals signed Dunn to the same deal given him by the White Sox, rather than signing Werth, that would have saved them 32.8 million over the length of the four year contract. I'm thinking that they could have taken that 32.8 million and used it to hire some other players who collectively would represent a great deal more that the difference between Dunn and Werth.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Who's complaining? At 7 years, I'm glad he's gone. The Phillies have a good eye for when to let a guy go rather than overpay him. Exhibit A: Rowand, Aaron.

I'm anxious to see what Ben Francisco and Dominic Brown can do with more playing time.
All those accusing him of taking the money and running and showing his true colors. When you guys pay a guy like Haliday its good but when you lose a guy your fans want to complain. They need to stop the whining.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
All those accusing him of taking the money and running and showing his true colors. When you guys pay a guy like Haliday its good but when you lose a guy your fans want to complain. They need to stop the whining.
Speed, i'm not a Philly fan but when you see a guy going to a much lesser team for big bucks it's pretty obvious. Maybe Phil fans are sore but Werth did the obvious here and there's no denying it.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I'm not whining...I'm glad he's gone rather than to be stuck with an albatross of a contract in a few years.

And do you realize that Halladay campaigned to be traded to the Phillies, and accepted a smaller contract than he would have gotten on the open market? This wasn't a case of the Phillies outbidding everyone, it was that the best pitcher in baseball wanted to come to Philly and wants to win.

Jayson Werth took an inflated contract from one of baseball's doormats...its obvious he's more concerned with money than winning. He's happy with the one ring he already has. Glad he's not on my team anymore.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 12-10-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,121 times
So your point is if he takes more money to do what he is good at thats a bad thing? So I guess if another company then the one you worked for now offered you guys an outlandish sum of money to go work for them in this economy you all would say no? I highly doubt it. Everyone else in the world can take more pay except athletes? WHY???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball