Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,099,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I definitely agree that it's a problem when the same few clubs are the top contenders every year. I don't know what to do about it, though. The simple answer would seem to be a salary cap, but that seems unlikely to happen in baseball in the foreseeable future. Lest we forget, it was the owners' attempt to push for a cap that was at the center of the dispute that led to the big strike in '94. We don't want to see that again.

Fortunately, it's still possible for clubs outside that fat-cat top tier to put something good together on occasion. This past season was a good example. I found it refreshing to see some new faces going deep into the postseason, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.
You're definitely not alone. The Yankees are the team that I have stood behind for as long as I knew what baseball was. I wasn't crazy about our team last year especially our middle relief. If the Yankees aren't going to win it, I love to see new teams get into the mix. Even though the rating might not have been there, I was happy about a SF/Texas series. I knew either a team that hasn't won it in years would win one, or a team that has never won one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Looking at the comparison you're trying to make here, in a sense every team is the same. Every team has homegrown talent, trades for role players, and signs free agents. The difference lies in how heavily each club relies on each of these sources of players in comparison to their reliance on each of the other means of signing players, and how much money they spend doing it. No one else compares to the Yankees in shelling out the huge bucks time and again for the biggest stars right in their primes. No one else relies as heavily as the Yankees on this means for putting together a contender, as compared with the other methods of acquiring talent. It's not even close.
I have said this before so I apologize if you've heard it already. The Yankees generate more revenue than any other baseball team due to ticket sales, memorabilia, etc... Should they be faulted for running their franchise so well? The Red Sox are just like them but with less revenue.
I would like to see a much more balanced system with a true cap though. Set a number ($75million, $100 million, whatever) and not allow any team to exceed that number. Also eliminate revenue sharing. This is the root of all evil too. If a team doesn't try their best to turn a profit, market their team, and win, then they will lose money and wont be able to cash in on others good fortunes. If it's a problem, those owners can always sell to people who are willing to go for it, like a Mark Cuban type.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:43 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,251,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I have said this before so I apologize if you've heard it already. The Yankees generate more revenue than any other baseball team due to ticket sales, memorabilia, etc... Should they be faulted for running their franchise so well? The Red Sox are just like them but with less revenue.
I would like to see a much more balanced system with a true cap though. Set a number ($75million, $100 million, whatever) and not allow any team to exceed that number. Also eliminate revenue sharing. This is the root of all evil too. If a team doesn't try their best to turn a profit, market their team, and win, then they will lose money and wont be able to cash in on others good fortunes. If it's a problem, those owners can always sell to people who are willing to go for it, like a Mark Cuban type.
This has been pointed out time and time again. All that a cap would do would be to drive down player salaries.

If the Yankees are currently spending $200 million a year on players were forced to cut that in half to $100 million: two things a) the Yankees' owners would put an extra $100 million in their pockets. b) the Padres wouldn't suddenly start spending an extra $100 million on players. A salary cap does nothing except deflate player salaries and inflate owner salaries.

As a baseball fan I'd much rather have the money I pay to see a game go to the guys playing the game than some old billionaire.

You are also totally misguided in your assessment of revenue sharing. On the field the game is about the Yankees and the Rays, BUT, the MLB is a business and the BUSINESS of the MLB definitely benefits by having strong teams throughout the league. Each franchise isn't competing for revenue with the other franchises-they are working together to make the most money for the MLB.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
This has been pointed out time and time again. All that a cap would do would be to drive down player salaries.

If the Yankees are currently spending $200 million a year on players were forced to cut that in half to $100 million: two things a) the Yankees' owners would put an extra $100 million in their pockets. b) the Padres wouldn't suddenly start spending an extra $100 million on players. A salary cap does nothing except deflate player salaries and inflate owner salaries.

As a baseball fan I'd much rather have the money I pay to see a game go to the guys playing the game than some old billionaire.

You are also totally misguided in your assessment of revenue sharing. On the field the game is about the Yankees and the Rays, BUT, the MLB is a business and the BUSINESS of the MLB definitely benefits by having strong teams throughout the league. Each franchise isn't competing for revenue with the other franchises-they are working together to make the most money for the MLB.
I don't think you understand because i'm definitely not misguided. When you spend over the cap, the money goes into the revenue sharing pot and the cheaper teams get richer. By using a hard cap with no revenue sharing you level the playing field a little more, and you have team scrutinize their books better. Yes, it will keep MLB salaries down but does a ballplayer really need $20 million a year? $10 million wouldn't be enough?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I don't think you understand because i'm definitely not misguided. When you spend over the cap, the money goes into the revenue sharing pot and the cheaper teams get richer. By using a hard cap with no revenue sharing you level the playing field a little more, and you have team scrutinize their books better.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're missing the point.

Teams are competing on the field. Teams are cooperating (to a point) off the field.

Quote:
Yes, it will keep MLB salaries down but does a ballplayer really need $20 million a year? $10 million wouldn't be enough?

Because the Steinbrenner's need to make an extra $100 million a year

Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,731,636 times
Sure will miss him in Tampa Bay. It was fun watching him develop here. I wish he would have went to the Angels, but Redsox are still better than the Yanks.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Sure will miss him in Tampa Bay. It was fun watching him develop here. I wish he would have went to the Angels, but Redsox are still better than the Yanks.
When people make comments like this, the Yanks usually come out ahead; so keep saying this. Only when everyone says the Yanks are the team to beat, do they falter.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're missing the point.

Teams are competing on the field. Teams are cooperating (to a point) off the field.

Because the Steinbrenner's need to make an extra $100 million a year
If they capped it for a lower amount such as $100 million, and also due to the economy, ticket prices would also come down, I'M SURE ! I think you are missing the point especially when it comes to the Yankees. For the Steinbrenner family they definitely want to make a profit BUT it's MUCH MORE about being the team that won it all !!! It was that way for George and we're seeing now that it is exactly the same with Hal.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
If they capped it for a lower amount such as $100 million, and also due to the economy, ticket prices would also come down, I'M SURE ! I think you are missing the point especially when it comes to the Yankees. For the Steinbrenner family they definitely want to make a profit BUT it's MUCH MORE about being the team that won it all !!! It was that way for George and we're seeing now that it is exactly the same with Hal.
Why would the ticket prices come down? Because the owners would want to make less profit? That's traditionally how billionaire's work.

Owners would love a salary cap. Owners of any business would want to know they could only pay their employees THIS much.

I've never said the Steinbrenner's weren't committed to winning. They've also made a lot of money

Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,870,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I guess this makes Larry Lucchino's calling the Yankees "the evil empire" pure hypocrisy. I think at this point they should share the evil empire title.
Regarding whether there's now more than one Evil Empire, and just who the second one might be, perhaps you spoke a bit too soon here, given your team's recent acquisition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball