Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,108,063 times

Advertisements

7 years $142 million. LMFAO

Crawford, for over 20 a year? Now i've seen it all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,333,422 times
Seems unusual for the Red Sox to do this.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Seems unusual for the Red Sox to do this.
Don't get me wrong. Crawford is a very solid player but he is not one of the elite players. I definitely would not put him in a Pujols category so I do think they overpayed a little. I do give them credit though for doing what it took to sign him considering everyone was hearing that the Angels were going to pull out all the stops for him.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,333,422 times
I just thought Boston was more conservative when it came to free agent signings. I also thought that they would get Werth but I was wrong.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 AM

6,402 posts, read 8,951,784 times
The new Evil Empire in baseball.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,664,134 times
I think 4 years at 80 million would have been better. A guy like that who relies on speed as being a huge part of his success might be a huge money problem in 5-6 years when he's not running as fast.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,030,630 times
I'm not surprised that it was the Red Sox who were courting Crawford. They are an intelligent, progressive organization and recognized that among the crop of stars on the market, Crawford represented the best bargain because of his age, he will be 29 next season and does not come with the same degree of decline probability which marks players who are approaching their mid thirties. If anyone was a good gamble for a long term deal, it was Crawford.

However, I was surprised by the size and length of the contract. Crawford is a very valuable player, but a 20 million dollars a year player? I had foolishly added Crawford to my wish list for the Giants, thinking that he might be within their price range, but obviously that was a miscalulation. I had been thinking he might be had for four years at 13 or 14 million a season.

Still, even if he is being overcompensated by Boston, he should help boost the team's fortunes for the next several years.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:25 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,085,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I think 4 years at 80 million would have been better. A guy like that who relies on speed as being a huge part of his success might be a huge money problem in 5-6 years when he's not running as fast.
Wow

Johnny Damon with more speed=142 Mil?

yup, he'll probably earn his contract the 1st two or three seasons, but by the end I think Theo will regret this one.

I have to say I'm surprised by this deal, once they traded for AGon, I figured Theo would look for a cheap right handed OF bat like Mags.

Looking at the 2011 Sox now, there's a lot of lefty bats

RF?-Crawford (L)(putting him in LF eliminates his speed advantage for 81 games)
2b-Pedroia
1b-Gonzalez (L)
3b-Youkilis
DH-Ortiz (L)
LF-Drew (L)-Cameron
SS-Scutaro
C- Salty
CF-Ellsbury (L)

Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Wow

Johnny Damon with more speed=142 Mil?

yup, he'll probably earn his contract the 1st two or three seasons, but by the end I think Theo will regret this one.

I have to say I'm surprised by this deal, once they traded for AGon, I figured Theo would look for a cheap right handed OF bat like Mags.

Looking at the 2011 Sox now, there's a lot of lefty bats

RF?-Crawford (L)(putting him in LF eliminates his speed advantage for 81 games)
2b-Pedroia
1b-Gonzalez (L)
3b-Youkilis
DH-Ortiz (L)
LF-Drew (L)-Cameron
SS-Scutaro
C- Salty
CF-Ellsbury (L)
Crawford is a better power hitting Ellsbury and have you noticed one major thing about this lineup...alot of injury prone guys. I figured Crawford for about 18 per year for about 4-5 years. Can't blame Crawford for taking the deal though because Boston always stands a chance whether for the division or the wild card. If Boston were smart they would be working out a deal for Garza or Greinke while everyone else is concentrating on Cliff Lee.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,261,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
have you noticed one major thing about this lineup...alot of injury prone guys.
???

Pedroia - on the DL once in his career. Over 150 games the last 2 seasons
Gonzalez - has never been on the DL. Has played more than 155 games the last 5 seasons. And 162 games twice
Youkilis - 3 times on the DL in 7 seasons.
Ortiz - 3 times on the DL in his career. Once with the Red Sox. 6 of 8 seasons in Boston he's played more an 145 games
Drew - Yeah. He misses some time
Scutaro - Has never been on the DL
Salty - I doubt he'll be the everyday catcher. Think Russ Martin
Ellsbury - was all over the DL this season, but has been healthy previously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball