U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 PM

5,365 posts, read 8,697,361 times

Advertisements

Really a nice post, ogre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 11:14 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,273,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Really a nice post, ogre.
Plus one!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 PM

13,462 posts, read 16,206,094 times
Echoing a little on Ogre's posting, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Feller in the spring of 2003, while at Winter Haven, Florida for spring training.

Like he stated, Bob had a great presence about him. I read that he was listed at 6'0" tall when he played, and when I saw him, in his mid-80's, he didn't look like he lost any height at all. He still looked pretty athletic, didn't move around the ballpark like an old guy at all. Navigated the steps very well, didn't have that hesitant approach you often see with older guys.

I heard him talking baseball with Jim Hegan, an Indians announcer, and Marty Brennaman of the Reds broadcast team. He was bantering with them about the teams, and discussing pitchers at length. Didn't have much use for pitch counts from what I heard, and seemed to think that babying arms helped create (instead of prevent) injuries. At least this is what I picked up in eavesdropping on him for about 15-20 minutes.

A real hardnosed guy. A real throwback.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:56 AM

25,443 posts, read 31,957,858 times
Here's a link to some great stories about Mr. Feller from the Plain Dealer:

Indians | Cleveland Indians - cleveland.com

Quote:
A real hardnosed guy
He did have some, uh, choice words to say about the Pete Rose issue ...

Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 AM

13,186 posts, read 12,273,762 times
Great opinions all here.

A good friend of mine lives in Council Bluffs, Iowa, not far from where Feller lived. He met him and introduced Bob to people who came into Tim's music shop and wanted to meet Feller. Bob was gracious giving his time and talked for hours about players he played with and against.

Given the last decade or two regarding the money factor with all pro sports these days, I have more and more respect for guys like Bob Feller, Ted Williams, Hank Greenberg, and so many other athletes who served their country during WW-II. He could easily picked up eighty to ninety wins during those years he served in the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball