Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM

20 posts, read 39,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Well done by the Phillies.
I will say that some guys don't have the cojones to pitch under the bright lights on the Bronx. It looks like Cliff is one of those guys.
As a Yankee fan, I will say that I am disappointed, but I think that a seven year deal would have been a noose around their necks. The Phillies did the right thing and gave him five.
I don't think he's one of those types. I'd say he's one of those guys who doesn't want their wife to be treated like a human spittoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm not worried about Lee choking under the bright lights, not worried at all.

This is a great signing by the Phillies, but they need to move Blanton and Ibanez to get their payroll back to a reasonable level. Blanton shouldn't be a problem, but moving Ibanez may not be very easy.
What about Kendrick? He may be easier to trade then Blanton, due to his age and salary.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Kendrick doesnt move salary though, that is now the Phils issue

he may be part of deal though to add value but is not the piece needed for salary. They would keep Kendrick because of his price tag, they gain nothing b just moving him

Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
What about Kendrick? He may be easier to trade then Blanton, due to his age and salary.

That's why they'd rather trade Blanton than Kendrick...to dump Blanton's salary. Kendrick isn't costing them much for similar production.

The 5th spot will be a spring training competition between Kendrick and Worley.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Yet, he signed with Philly, with fans representing the lowest forms of life that we have here on earth. Too funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wimpy View Post
I don't think he's one of those types. I'd say he's one of those guys who doesn't want their wife to be treated like a human spittoon.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Yet, he signed with Philly, with fans representing the lowest forms of life that we have here on earth. Too funny.
Blah Blah Blah. More overblown media stereotype garbage. Nevermind that NY fans spit on, cursed at, and threw beer on Cliff Lee's wife...nevermind that there have been gang-stabbings at Dodger games...nevermind the beer-bottle throwing incidents only a few years ago at Browns and Saints games......those dastardly Philly fans booed Santa!!!

Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
I don't remember any Philly fans spitting on his wife. But, there are at least two too many threads for talking **** about fans. Hopefully this won't turn into a 3rd.

Anyway.

Twitter / Jerry Crasnick: Cliff Lee's deal with Phil ...
Quote:
Cliff Lee's deal with Phillies: $107.5MM in salary for 5 years. $12.5MM buyout for a guaranteed $120MM payout
So the deal is 5/$120 or 6/$135. Average Annual Value of either $24 or $22.5 million

Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM

20 posts, read 39,262 times
Quote:
And him and his wife picked the fans "representing the lowest forms of life on Earth" over Yankees fans. What does that tell you?

Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
I woke up this morning & heard the news. I was 100% sure I was dreaming! WOWEEE!!!!!
THis is PHantastic! Now we just need a leadoff hitter & the WS is a sure thing. A package of players incluiding Blanton &/or Kendrick may get that.

If you perform in Philly, the fans treat you like a god! Lee saw that side of the Phillies fans.
In Philly they also play REAL baseball, whereas NY & texas only treat the pitcher as half a player.

BTW - Phils fans did NOT boo Santa! Well - they sort of did. THey threw snowballs, too. But all the while, they were actually in good cheer, as was the recipient of the snowballs. They booed a kid who replaced Santa, because Santa didn't show up.
It was at an Eagles game where their record was 2-11. THe weather was awful - windchills in single digits and field a muddy mess. THe fans were at least expecting a fancy half time show, with a float carrying santa. But the float got stuck in the mud, and Santa was a no show. THe Eagles found some 20 yr old kid wearing a red suit & had him walk on the field instead of Santa. He was scraggly, skinny, an awful suit, and the fans were frustrated that the team & then the halftime show was so awful.

Ironic aside - one of the Fans throwing snowballs was an 11 yr old kid named Matt Millen. He went on to star at Penn State & won 3 Super Bowl rings. He is now the President of the Detroit Lions, the team that is allowing the Vikings to use their stadium due to the snow damage to the Vikings' stadium.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,998,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
those dastardly Philly fans booed Santa!!!
LOL....AND cheer for that #7 guy..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball