Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been tenaciously searching for a sports job (preferably baseball) since my current marketing contract position will end in March. I've applied to over 30-40 jobs within the past month, and with a phone interview here and there but nothing else has developed. I have a degree in Communication so I'm looking for an entry level position in inside sales/promotions/PR. I know it's a difficult industry to get into, but with some phone calls, I at least know my resume is getting through to them.

Anyway, recently there was an opening for a position with an AAA Minor League Baseball Affiliate. I sent my resume, and cover letter, and they contacted me, and we spoke for a little bit. The job description sounded interesting, but during the phone call, he mentioned not wanting to discourage me since this position has low pay, and is consisted of a team of high school graduates and college students. It's a part time position with hours worked usually on game days only.

Below I will paste the job description, but from what it sounds like, it will consist of customer service/fan interaction during baseball games assisting with on field activities. The way his voice translated over phone, it sounded as if I'm probably over qualified for the job; But we still scheduled an in person interview. I want to get my foot in the door, but at the same time not feel out of place working with a younger age group. There are other similar jobs I can get into, just not specifically in professional sports, which is my main career path. Also, if I take this job, I will have to take another full time position elsewhere too.

So I'm hoping there are some of you out there that have been in a sports organization. What are you opinions, and would you consider doing this? I will definitely work my butt off in hopes I move up within the organization.

Thanks in advance.

Job Description:
Responsibilities

Provide a high level of customer service to fans and sponsors•
Ensure proper implementation of sponsored and non-sponsored elements •
Work with adults and children during in-game activities to ensure a fun and safe experience•
Assist with planning and preparation of all game-day activities•
Work with Express management on various objectives throughout the season•
Coordinate special events, autograph sessions, Kids Run the Bases and Used Car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
If you are serious about a career in pro sports promotions, then you are better off seeking work from a position of being employed in the profession than from a position of zero experience.

It is like an acting career, you have to be willing to start at the bottom, endure abuse and frustration, and exericse patience while waiting for a break.

Napoleon held that "Luck is the residue of design" and that applies to your situation. You will need luck to get what you are after, but you are far more likely to get lucky if you are inside the profession doing something, even at the lowest levels, than you are if you are outside the profession because you felt the lower level jobs beneath your dignity.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:05 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Sounds like the job is in the promotions/marketing area.

Is that your area of interest/expertise?

I don't see how taking the position could be a negative. It'd provide you the opportunity to network at the very least.

When you interview let the interviewer know your intentions and see how receptive he/she is to allowing you access to the higher ups in the organization. Remember you get to ask questions at an interview too...it's not one-way.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the replies as it's good advice. To the 2nd replier, the field in marketing, sports, promos is in my general interest. Inside sales is another good entry level I am also hoping for. From there though, I want to move up and work on the internal business side of baseball, or also Mid level positions in Guest/Media Relations, PR, Sales, Communication/Event Coordinator 5-10 years from now.

I'm definitely not doing this for the money, and I'm willing to start at the bottom. I understand they may discourage me from the position since they don't want to get my hopes up. All I can do is also get a good understanding about their organization/ask lots of questions during the interview, and get the job so I can network, and have my place in a professional sports setting.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 AM

Well as for an update, the interview went well and this smaller market team has penciled me in for their upcoming season.

But now, I am in another similar predicament as the Dodgers just contacted me about a seasonal position on game days only. It will probably average 25-30 hours a week, and I wonder if making the move from Texas to LA would be smart, especially since the cost of living is a lot greater. They are hiring about 5-10 individuals and I would assume having the Dodgers on the resume looks fantastic.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
I would assume having the Dodgers on the resume looks fantastic.
And you can get me tickets when I come to town...:smile:

Having the Dodgers on your resume will look better than the AAA team, but

Which position will let you build your skills more and learn more?

Old 01-29-2011, 12:15 AM

ha, yeah i could only imagine how many friends will want tickets

yeah, i actually booked a flight this past tuesday to interview with the dodgers. at first, the AAA team seemed to have more experience to build on, but the job in LA would be great, and i'd be able to network a ton. both are great, but the cost of living in LA worries me. i'd give it a +1 for the dodgers position.

there were a ton of applicants and they were bringing in about 100 to interview face to face for the dodgers (they already had weeded out about 400 applicants. they are hiring about 10). i'm hoping they call me in for a 2nd interview, but this just seems like a longshot. i'm happy, as either way, i'm going to get some sort of baseball work related experience.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Baseball Info Solutions Job Openings | FanGraphs Baseball

Quote:
Research and Development Intern
Baseball Info Solutions is looking for a Research & Development intern for the spring and/or summer of 2011. The intern will work out of our Coplay, PA office and will work closely with the BIS Analysts and John Dewan, supporting their research for publications and future products, including Stat of the Week, The Bill James Handbook, and The Fielding Bible. The paid internship requires a variety of skills including (but not limited to): computer expertise, writing ability, and a passion for baseball.

Entry Level .Net Programmer

Baseball Info Solutions is looking for a entry level .Net programmer to start ASAP.
The entry level.NET developer is responsible for designing and implementing solutions based on business and client requirements. The .NET developer will work independently on smaller projects and as part of a team on larger projects. The ideal candidate will demonstrate professionalism and high level communication skills as he/she may work directly with management and clients. The .NET developer will be expected to demonstrate strong problem solving and decision making skills in a fast paced environment. An understanding of relation database design and knowledge of reporting services is helpful.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM

what exactly is that posting? didn't quite understand the meaning behind that post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball