Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,979,382 times

Advertisements

My first baseball game was back in '91. The Tigers dropped the game to Kansas City but the day was memorable, not only because it was my first game, because it was Bat Day. Nearly 20 full years later I still have that bat. It has crushed Hot Wheels cars, been used in baseball and softball games and even for a wee bit of vandalism as a teen. Nothing has been in my possession longer than this bat. If my place was on fire it would be what I'd grab before I bolted out the door. It is my only possession that cannot be replaced.

Living in Arizona now I was looking over the D'backs schedule and see there is no Bat Day on the books. I went to the Tigers website and found nothing there either (though they don't have any promotions listed at this time). Does Bat Day still exist or is this a thing of the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
I think there was in Philly last year but don't think it happens every year - I think they gave the bats on the way out to maybe prevent shananigans...

I miss bat day from my youth, or even the little bats that were used. Last year they gave out a full size Louisville slugger, forget the reason but it was a pretty big deal, wish i was at the game actually, a give-away that I woulkd have liked, think it had the phillies logo, which to me would have been really cool

Cool on your memories, amazing the personal value some of these objects have. i personally have a framed game 2008 6 WS towel and ticket, that will definately go everywhere with me, though don't think I will smash to many matchboxes with it

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
The Dodgers used to have bat day and helmet weekend for kids 14 and under.

When was 21 I had braces and since I didn't have a mustache or beard I looked pretty young. So on helmet weekend I go through the turnstile and the lady handing out the helmets sees I am probably older than 14 so she asks me "Are you 15?", thinking I'd say "Sure lady", but I didn't take the bait and said "Nope, I'm 14, now gimmie my helmet.". She gave me a dirty look and I took my helmet straight over to the beer line and order four talls, which I held in my hands as I walked by her and thanked her again for the helmet.

Punk.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,104,856 times
In June of 1974, the Cleveland Indians, well on their way to their sixth consecutive losing season, were drawing only 8000 fans a game at home. To remedy this, they designated their June 4th night game against the Rangers, "Ten Cent Beer Night." The promotion was literally that, all legal drinkers could buy as many eight oz. beers as they wished, at ten cents a beer.

The stunt drew 25,134 fans who filed in and immediately began taking advantage of the offer. Things remained under control until the fun began when a woman ran out onto the field and flashed the players and crowd by raising her blouse. The Rangers Tom Grieve hit a homerun and suddenly found his trot being shadowed by a naked man who slid into secondbase. Then a father/son combo jumped onto the field and mooned the outfield bleachers.

When a Cleveland batter lined a hard shot off the stomach of Ranger pitcher Fergie Jenkins, the crowd began chanting "Hit em again, hit em again, harder! Harder!"

Ranger manager Mike Hargrove walked onto the field and was bombarded with hot dogs, fireworks and saliva, an empty wine bottle was thrown and just missed his head.

In the 9th, a fan jumped onto the field and attempted to steal Rangers' outfielder Jeff Burrough's cap. (Burroughs was to go on to win the MVP award that season.) Burroughs tripped while chasing the fan, and Texas manager Billy Martin thought it was because the fan had knocked him down. He charged out of the dugout leading his entire squad armed with bats. Rallying to the fan on the field's side, huge numbers of fans now jumped on the field, having armed themselves with broken bottles, ripped up seats and some knives. Fans not on the field stayed in the bleachers and shelled the players with everything that could be found and converted into a missile. The Indians saw what was happening and their players grabbed bats and raced onto the field to support the Ranger players.

The players were overwhelmed by sheer numbers and had to fight their way back to their dugouts, the fans were left in control of the field and they proceded to trash it, stealing the bases, ripping up the turf, or brawling with one another. Stadium security was helpless and it required the Cleveland Riot Squad turning out to finally chase the fans off the field and out of the stadium. The game was forfeited to the Rangers.

Think what you could have if you combined Ten Cent Beer Night and Bat Day into a single game promotion.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,484,456 times
I am always pretty wow'ed when I read the story about dime-beer-night in Cleveland. There is footage out there of it too, you smell the booze through the almost 40 year old footage. Funny, but also scary as people could have (probably did) get really hurt. Mobs are scary enough, a drunken mob is exponentially more frightening.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Orangeish and Grandstander are right. I'm a fan of ESPN Classic's Sport Century series, the one hour bio on the greatest sports figures of the 20th century. The one they did on owner Bill Veeck fits into this like a glove. One of his promotions (or I should say his sons) was the infamous "Disco Demolition" night in 1979 at Comiskey Park in Chicago. After they blew up a kazillion disco records in between the two games the fans took it from there and tore the field up, set a couple small fires in the stands. That night was set up as a doubleheader, and after some sort of order was restored Mr. Veeck made the announcement to the crowd that the second game of the doubleheader would have to be postponed due to the condition of the field.

One of the sadder moments in MLB history.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
I have a full size Johnny Grubb Adirondack bat that I got at Cleveland Stadium in the mid-70's. That's my only full size bat that I've ever received as a giveaway. I've gotten some mini-bats lately.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 PM

Currently reading Bill Veeck: Baseball's Greatest Maverick by Paul Dickson. It has inspired me to revive this thread. I just scanned the D-backs promo schedule and there is not Bat Day. I don't know if there's ever been a Bat Day in Phoenix. Still wondering if any MLB clubs still do. Please post if you hear about any team doing so this season.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
I think the Dodgers started handing out vouchers (pick 'em up at Target?) on ball day and bat day after this incident in 1995:
Braves fans’ behavior recalls Dodgers’ forfeit to Cards « RetroSimba

After Karros, Mondesi, and Lasorda had been ejected from a close game, fans threw their souvenirs onto the field and the game was declared forfeited.

I can't imagine that any team would hand out baseball bats at the game these days.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Bat Day lives!!!

New York Yankees - April 25

2015 Promotional Schedule | yankees.com: Schedule

Seattle Mariners - May 30

2015 Promotional Schedule | Mariners.com: Schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball