U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:29 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,347,707 times

Advertisements

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/Los_Angeles_Dodgers_Logo.svg (broken link)

Filihok: 2011 Dodgers Roster

Spring training began today. The Dodgers' roster is pretty well established. There's not a lot of roster spots up for grabs, just one infield or outfield position and 4 bullpen spots. But it's always interesting to see how things play out.

Boxscore: LA Dodgers vs. LA Angels - February 26, 2011 | MLB.com: News
Boxscore: LA Dodgers vs. San Francisco - February 26, 2011 | MLB.com: News

A few players I want to keep an eye on this spring played today.

Scott Elbert. Elbert is a hard-throwing lefty who was brought up as a starter who could strike out over a batter an inning but was likely to walk almost as many. Looks like the bullpen is his best chance to play in the majors. He's got electric stuff, but the control just isn't there.

In 26 major league innings he has 29 strike outs and 14 walks.
In 505 minor league innings he has 586 strike outs and 280 walks.

Today, Elbert pitched an inning. He struck out 2...and walked 2

Luis Vasquez. Vasquez jumped up the Dodgers' prospect list when his fastball started clocking at 100mph. He's a ways away from the majors but was just added to the 40 man roster.

Vasquez faced 4 batters today. He walked 3 of them and gave up a sac bunt.

Jerry Sands. Sands jumped up the prospect ranks after hitting 35 HR in 2010.

Sands was 0 - 2 against the Angels today

Dee Gordon. Considered by many to be the Dodgers' #1 prospect. Gordon is a 5'11" 150 lb speedster. He has 144 steals in 324 minor league games. A possibility to take over for Rafael Furcal at SS for the Dodgers in 2012.

Gordon singled and scored a run after taking over for Jamey Carroll against the Giants.

Trayvon Robinson. Robinson is my favorite position player prospect. An athletic centerfielder who can hit a little. He's probably not due until next season, but I like his potential.

Robinson singled and scored a run in relief of Tony Gwynn Jr.

Juan Castro, Aaron Miles, Russ Mitchell and Ivan DeJesus Jr all got starts today. One of these guys is likely to make the team as a backup infielder. Castro and Miles are terrible, Mitchell isn't much better and DeJesus should be playing more often than he will as the 2nd backup. Really not sure what I want to happen here.

Xavier Paul, Tony Gwynn Jr., Gabe Kapler, Jamie Hoffman, JR Gibbons are fighting for playing time in LF and to be part of the bench.

Gwynn, Paul, Hoffman and Kapler all got starts. Gibbons didn't play at all. All of these guys have a lot to prove this spring in order to make the team.

Tim Redding. Redding is a veteran pitcher who's a bit underrated in my opinion. I think he'd make a fine 5th starter. Dodgers already have 5 starters though.

Redding pitched 2 innings striking out 1.

Matt Kemp was much maligned last year. But he was banging Rihanna so he probably doesn't much care. He didn't have the type of season that was expected after his strong 2009 and was accused of not hustling.

Today in his first at bat, he singled. Stole 2nd base. Moved to third on a ground ball and scored on a shallow fly ball. Really early, but a good sign.

Last edited by filihok; 02-26-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 AM

36,982 posts, read 17,444,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Today in his first at bat, he singled. Stole 2nd base. Moved to third on a ground ball and scored on a shallow fly ball. Really early, but a good sign.
The Giants are 2-0 so far, LA is 0-2.

Really early, but is that a good sign?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Spring Training wins are about as relevant to the regular season as our typing back and forth is.

Game 2
Boxscore: LA Angels vs. LA Dodgers - February 27, 2011 | MLB.com: News

John Ely. Acquired for Juan Pierre. Ely ignited Ely-mania last year with a run of 7 outstanding starts. There's probably not a spot for him in the 5-man rotation but at some point in the season the Dodgers will likely need to call some one up.

Ely, did about as well as you can in 2 spring training innings. 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 3 K's.

A bunch of relievers went today. That's where the most opportunity to make the teams is.

Kenley Jansen. Was a catcher up until midway through 2009. Unfortunately he hit like a pitcher, so they made him one. He throws very hard but is extremely raw. He blew away major league hitters last season, striking out 41 in 27 innings. One of the more interesting guys to watch this spring. Is a year and a few months as a professional pitcher enough to get him to the big leagues?

Jansen continued his MO today. An inning, a walk, and 2 K's. Also, a single.

Ramon Troncoso got the Joe Torre Kiss of Death by becoming Torre's go to man in 2009. Torre ran him out there 73 times for 83 innings. He hasn't been the same since. When he's on he gets a ton of gorundballs and a few K's.

A couple of strikeouts in an inning today.

Jon Link was acquired with Ely in the Pierre trade. He's been a reliever most of his career but the Dodgers stated they were going to 'stretch him out' this spring and try him as a starter.

Link went 2 innings today with a hit, a walk, and a K.

As for hitters, today was the lineup that Mattingly said he is leaning toward for the regular season
SS Furcal
3B Blake
RF Ethier
CF Kemp
2B Uribe
1B Loney
LF Thames
C Barajas
As good as any (that has a bunch of no OPB, luck into a few home runs guys) I guess.

The expected backups got the playing time. Good to see DeJesus getting in the game over Castro and Barmes.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:20 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,888,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

I pay no attention to records. Spring training is all about starters testing new pitches and hitters trying new things.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 PM

One thing that worries me is Kenley has options left. So I think he almost has to keep pitching at the level he did last August and September not to get sent down. I know a few guys are out of options so the way things work out they could have that benefit them.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
One thing that worries me is Kenley has options left. So I think he almost has to keep pitching at the level he did last August and September not to get sent down. I know a few guys are out of options so the way things work out they could have that benefit them.
Hawksworth is the only pitcher with out any options left who's on the bubble.
Elbert, Link, Troncoso and Schlichting have 1 remaining. Also Belasario, but he looks like he'll be on the restricted list-meaning the Dodgers can not pay him but maintain his rights.
Ely, Guerra, and Jansen have 2
Vasquez and Montasterios have 3

Xavier Paul and Hector Jiminez are the hitters without options. I like Paul and wish he'd get a chance, but that looks unlikely.

Spring Training, Day 4
MLB.com At Bat | MLB.com: Gameday

Clayton Kershaw. The Dodgers' best pitcher. The best player on the team and in the organization.

Kershaw looked good today. 3 innings, 3 K's and a walk.

Jonathan Broxton. Dodgers closer who turned in his worst major league performance in the 2nd half of last season.

Pitched a scoreless inning against the Sox' regulars. No walks, no K's

Trayvon Robinson got the start in CF and had an RBI triple. Gabe Kapler and Tony Gwynn Jr also started. Gwynn singled and stole a base. Jerry Sands played the 2nd half of the game in LF.

Aaron Miles and Juan Castro got starts at 2B and 3B. They were relieved by Velez and DeJesus. Dee Gordon played the 2nd half of the game at SS. I really don't want to see Castro or Miles on the team.

Most of the Dodgers regulars had the day off today

Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Just bought my tickets for Dodgers @ Phillies on June 6th

Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Just bought my tickets for Dodgers @ Phillies on June 6th
Awesome! This looks like it might be the first year in a while that I won't get to a game. Living in Washington DC and NYC made it a lot easier than living in Albuquerque does. Might dash over to Phoenix, but might not, too much stuff going on.

I should get to lots of 'Topes games though. Hopefully Jerry Sands will be in Albuquerque at least part of the season. It'd be nice to see Robinson and Gordon as well.

Spring Training Day 5&6
Boxscore: LA Dodgers vs. Cleveland - March 1, 2011 | MLB.com: News
Boxscore: Kansas City vs. LA Dodgers - March 2, 2011 | MLB.com: News

Chad Billingsley. An excellent pitcher, especially for a #2. Very underrated. Would love to see Colletti lock up CBills and Kershaw long term.

Pitched a good game against Cleveland. 3 innings, 3 hits, 3 K's.

3B Casey Blake has been hitting 2nd behind Furcal. Looks like that's where he's going to stay.

Jerry Sands hit a home run...off Kevin de la Cruz, who's no lock to make Cleveland's Opening Day Roster. He drew 2 walks in the second game. Sands played RF and 1B

Jamie Hoffman played CF. Not likely to make the roster but he can play all 3 outfield positions, hit a little and run a little. I'm in no way convinced that Hoffman and Paul wouldn't be more useful than Thames and Gibbons.

Aaron Miles played 3B in relief of Blake. Important because Miles is 'battling' Juan Castro and Ivan DeJesus for the 2nd backup infield spot. Miles is primarily a 2Bman.

Tim Redding pitched 3 quality innings in an 'emergency start'. That's 5 solid innings so far for Redding, who has virtually no shot to make the team.

Ramon Troncoso pitched a shutout inning with a K.

Scott Elbert walked 4 while getting 1 out. Good chance that I'll get to see pitch in Albuquerque this year.

Ivan DeJesus and Juan Castro started at 2B and SS. DeJesus had a single and Castro had a home run. It would have been best if Castro had gone hitless the entire spring. He's terrible, I don't want him on the team.

Jay Gibbons got in his first game of the season. 0 - 2.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:35 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,494,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Filihok: 2011 Dodgers Roster

Spring training began today. The Dodgers' roster is pretty well established. There's not a lot of roster spots up for grabs, just one infield or outfield position and 4 bullpen spots. But it's always interesting to see how things play out.

Boxscore: LA Dodgers vs. LA Angels - February 26, 2011 | MLB.com: News
Boxscore: LA Dodgers vs. San Francisco - February 26, 2011 | MLB.com: News

A few players I want to keep an eye on this spring played today.

Scott Elbert. Elbert is a hard-throwing lefty who was brought up as a starter who could strike out over a batter an inning but was likely to walk almost as many. Looks like the bullpen is his best chance to play in the majors. He's got electric stuff, but the control just isn't there.

In 26 major league innings he has 29 strike outs and 14 walks.
In 505 minor league innings he has 586 strike outs and 280 walks.

Today, Elbert pitched an inning. He struck out 2...and walked 2

Luis Vasquez. Vasquez jumped up the Dodgers' prospect list when his fastball started clocking at 100mph. He's a ways away from the majors but was just added to the 40 man roster.

Vasquez faced 4 batters today. He walked 3 of them and gave up a sac bunt.

Jerry Sands. Sands jumped up the prospect ranks after hitting 35 HR in 2010.

Sands was 0 - 2 against the Angels today

Dee Gordon. Considered by many to be the Dodgers' #1 prospect. Gordon is a 5'11" 150 lb speedster. He has 144 steals in 324 minor league games. A possibility to take over for Rafael Furcal at SS for the Dodgers in 2012.

Gordon singled and scored a run after taking over for Jamey Carroll against the Giants.

Trayvon Robinson. Robinson is my favorite position player prospect. An athletic centerfielder who can hit a little. He's probably not due until next season, but I like his potential.

Robinson singled and scored a run in relief of Tony Gwynn Jr.

Juan Castro, Aaron Miles, Russ Mitchell and Ivan DeJesus Jr all got starts today. One of these guys is likely to make the team as a backup infielder. Castro and Miles are terrible, Mitchell isn't much better and DeJesus should be playing more often than he will as the 2nd backup. Really not sure what I want to happen here.

Xavier Paul, Tony Gwynn Jr., Gabe Kapler, Jamie Hoffman, JR Gibbons are fighting for playing time in LF and to be part of the bench.

Gwynn, Paul, Hoffman and Kapler all got starts. Gibbons didn't play at all. All of these guys have a lot to prove this spring in order to make the team.

Tim Redding. Redding is a veteran pitcher who's a bit underrated in my opinion. I think he'd make a fine 5th starter. Dodgers already have 5 starters though.

Redding pitched 2 innings striking out 1.

Matt Kemp was much maligned last year. But he was banging Rihanna so he probably doesn't much care. He didn't have the type of season that was expected after his strong 2009 and was accused of not hustling.

Nice post. I like that you've been following the Dodgers prospects. I'm really excited for Gordon, Sands, and Robinson.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
I'm really excited for Gordon, Sands, and Robinson.
I like Robinson the best out of those guys. They are all 22, played in AA last year and hit:

Robinson: .297/.401/.434 .389 wOBA, 136 wRC+, 14% BB, 29%K, .138 ISO
Sands: .270/.360/.529 .396 wOBA, 141 wRC+, 11% BB, 24%K, .259 ISO
Gordon: .276/.331/.353 .321 wOBA, 91 wRC+, 7%BB, 16%K, .077 ISO

Robinson as a CFer hit almost as well as Sands, a corner outfielder or first baseman. Now Robinson did have a very high BABIP (.395) that will come down, and he does strikeout WAY too much. That'll have to get under control if he's going to succeed in the bigs but he put up a very good walk rate. He's fast and has a little pop. That's a very productive CFer.

Gordon was the worst hitter, but that's expected out of a SS. You have to love the speed 126 SB and 22 triples over the last 2 seasons. The defense is a question. Gordon seems to have good range, and an ok arm, but makes a ton of errors. He doesn't walk enough and at 5'11" 150 lbs doesn't project to have a lot of power. I wouldn't be surprised if he never pans out.

Sands is probably the surest thing, but with the lowest ceiling. He seems to control the plate well with BB% of over 10% at ever level and decent K% for a slugger <25%. The power isn't amazing, but should be acceptable for the positions he is likely to play.

I'll really be hoping these guys get assigned to AAA Albuquerque so I can check 'em out regularly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball