U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM

13,302 posts, read 6,535,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are backup catchers around the league, who have a lot of experience and would be productive additions to the Giant's roster. Gerald Laird was the first who came to mind, but he's on the DL too. Pudge Rodriguez is probably available.
There are a few other catchers that might make sense for SF.
Astros: JR Towles and Jason Jaramillo. Houston is going nowhere and Castro (on the DL) is the catcher of the future.
Blue Jays: Jose Molina is a free agent after the season, and JP Arencibia looks like the real deal.
Brewers: Wil Nieves could be available as LuCroy and Kottaras are 1&2 in Milwaukee
Cubs: might move Koyie Hill if Wellington Castillo convinces them he can play
Dodgers: wouldn't mind them trading Barajas away and letting Ellis show if he can play
Mariners: Adam Moore deserves a shot to play. Miguel Olivo could be offered up
Mets: Love themselves some Josh Thole, so Ronny Paulino could go
Pirates: They would let Ryan Doumit go for cheap
Yankees: Sabean loves him some old dudes-Posada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 PM

11,007 posts, read 6,797,418 times
filihok:
Quote:
Yankees: Sabean loves him some old dudes-Posada?
That nightmare crossed my mind immediately, but then it struck me that Sabean would never go for Posada, not while Bengie Molina is wallowing around out there as an unsigned free agent.

Which would also be a nightmare, but probably a less costly one.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
filihok:

That nightmare crossed my mind immediately, but then it struck me that Sabean would never go for Posada, not while Bengie Molina is wallowing around out there as an unsigned free agent.

Which would also be a nightmare, but probably a less costly one.
Bengie Molina sickened by Posey injury, says Giants should be “smart enough” to make him an infielder, and “heck yeah” he could catch if Giants call | Extra Baggs (http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2011/05/26/bengie-molina-sickened-by-posey-injury-says-giants-should-be-smart-enough-to-make-him-an-infielder-and-heck-yeah-he-could-catch-if-giants-call/ - broken link)

Quote:
To be quick, I’ll just transcribe the whole interview. But here are the bullet points:

–Molina said “heck yeah” he could put on a uniform tomorrow, but he realizes he’d probably need a few weeks in the minors first to get in game shape. He would “put his mind” into returning and go to the minors if the Giants really wanted him to do so. But he has not received a call from the Giants, and he’s not expecting one because he perceives hard feelings from the front office at how his tenure ended.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Filihok: Yakety Sax: Toronto Blue Jays

Quote:

Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 PM

Filihok: Fili's GODs for May 27th 2011: Rockies v Cardinals and Mariners v Yankees

Quote:
Two games tonight that I'm especially interested in. The first is the Colorado Rockies vs the St. Louis Cardinals.

Rockies' rookie Juan Nicasio makes his major league debut against the Cardinals. Nicasio is a 24 year old right-hander making his first major league start. Nicasio is 5 - 1 with a 2.22 ERA in AA thus far. More importantly he has 10.01 K/9 and just 1.59 BB/9. Nicasio does a decent job of getting ground balls but his percentages have been decreasing at each level:
A - 49%
Hi A - 45%
AA - 42%
Nicasio throws a mid-90's fastball, slider and change up.

Pitching in the bigs against a potent Cardinals offense (117 wRC+; 2nd in baseball) is a big jump for a guy who was pitching in High A Ball last season.

The second game features another young pitcher, Michael Pineda. I reviewed Pineda's review here. Pineda was very good that day, and has been even better since. Pineda is 6 - 2 with a 2.16 ERA for Seattle in 9 starts. He's striking out 9.41/9 and walking just 2.16/9. His 2.26 FIP is better than every starter's in baseball not named Roy Halladay or Matt Garza.

He is showing the left/right split that I was concerned about:
vs L: K/9=8.78, BB/9=2.36, HR/9=.68
vs R: K/9=9.95, BB/9=1.99, HR/9=.28
He's just been so good that it hasn't mattered.

I was concerned about his change up not being good enough to get out left-handed batters. He's responded by only throwing it 6% of the time. His run value per 100 change ups is slightly negative, but only -.22.

He's thrown his fastball (62%) and slider (32%) much more often. Both of those pitches have been excellent. His fastball has been worth 1.69 runs per 100 pitches while the sider has been worth 2.93 runs per 100 pitches. That's the 8th best fastball and 12th best slider amongst starters.

Tonight he faces a challenge. The New York Yankees and their #1 (118 wRC+) offense. He gets a bit of a reprieve though, as the game is in cavernous SAFECO field and not New Yankee Colosseum. SAFECO is particularly hard on left-handed batters, which the Yankees have plenty of (Granderson, Cano, Gardner and switch hitters Teixeira, Swisher and Posada), with an 86 park factor for home runs according to StatCorner.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM

5,834 posts, read 2,326,567 times
The Yankees' Lance Pendleton retired 9 straight Rangers on Jackie Robinson Day and has looked good ever since. Anyone know why the Astros sent him back?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 AM

7,350 posts, read 3,907,178 times
not sure where to put this, so here's as good as anywhere else.

The other day I turned to FSS (fox sports south) to watch a Braves game, it turns out I was a few minutes early, because "in his own words Greg Maddux" was airing, so I watched the last few minutes.

Chipper Jones starts telling a story about his rookie season 1993, not to far into the season and he's still trying to prove he belongs on the team,

there's a popup out in front of homeplate and Chipper comes charging in and plows right into Maddux, Greg gets up and says "good going Larry now stay the **** away from me If I'm over here you stay the **** over there.

Chipper was laughing his head off while he told the story, and I was ROFLMAO

Old 05-30-2011, 12:47 AM

Kershaw

9 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 10 K's, 116 pitches, 79 strikes, 30 batters faced, 8 ground balls, 8 fly balls, 0 line drives, 4 infield flies

Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 AM

5,834 posts, read 2,326,567 times
The espn.com team stats are totally wrong today. Baseball-reference.com has the correct stats.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:09 PM

6,812 posts, read 11,820,333 times
I hate the Reds! I hope Votto and Gay Bruce catch one right in the ear hole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball