U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM

38,756 posts, read 39,297,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Pablo Sandoval tied the record, and just now he has broken it. He ripped one out against the Marlins in the first inning, the team's 20th consecutive home run with no runners on base.

Even if the Giants don't make the post season, SF fans will still have this accomplishment as solace. '11 will not have been an undistinguished year.
The Rays scored five runs, on five solo homers. They had 9 other baserunners, but none ahead of the homers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I looked up your stats and saw that since joining City-Data you have averaged 15.1 posts per day. Since time management is your problem, I suggest that you alter your posting approach. Instead of 15 posts based on no research, why not cut it down to five posts and invest the time you save in actually trying to find out if what you wish to post has any basis in reality?
How about this novel approach. I spend my day doing what suits me and my time management, rather than what suits you.

You took time to look up something that was not relevant to me (although I wondered out loud about it), because it was not relevant to my point which I had raised---namely, that the article about the hapless Astros made no mention of Carlos Lee, who has averaged nearly 100 RBIs per year for his career.

Whether or not Lee (or anybody else) should be in the Hall is something that other posters seem to be obsessed with, but not me. He probably shouldn't be, and Tim Raines (with zero 100-rbi season) probably should be, but isn't. I don't respect HoF selection criteria, one of which weighs heavily on RBIs, a point on which I remarked as an aside.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-13-2011 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 AM

5,892 posts, read 2,409,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Rays scored five runs, on five solo homers. They had 9 other baserunners, but none ahead of the homers.
This reminds me of Catfish Hunter who was consistently among the leaders in home runs allowed. But a good many of them came with no runners aboard.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:32 AM

11,234 posts, read 7,322,289 times
Quote:
You took time to look up something that was not relevant to me (although I wondered out loud about it), because it was not relevant to my point which I had raised---namely, that the article about the hapless Astros made no mention of Carlos Lee, who has averaged nearly 100 RBIs per year for his career.

Remember that scene in Wizard of Oz where Toto pulls back the curtain and the great and powerful wizard is revealed to be an old guy working a machine? Even though the game is clearly up, the wizard yanks the curtain closed and thunders into his microphone "Ignore that man behind the curtain!"

I always thought that one of the more amusingly preposterous bluff attempts.

Your post is another.

You shot off your mouth without knowing what you were talking about and now you are trying to pretend that it was something else. What is difficult to understand is why you think anyone is being fooled by this.

Ignore that cocky post about 100 RBI players and the Hall of Fame!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Remember that scene in Wizard of Oz where Toto pulls back the curtain and the great and powerful wizard is revealed to be an old guy working a machine? Even though the game is clearly up, the wizard yanks the curtain closed and thunders into his microphone "Ignore that man behind the curtain!"

I always thought that one of the more amusingly preposterous bluff attempts.

Your post is another.

You shot off your mouth without knowing what you were talking about and now you are trying to pretend that it was something else. What is difficult to understand is why you think anyone is being fooled by this.

Ignore that cocky post about 100 RBI players and the Hall of Fame!
No, I didn't see the movie. I read the book, where Dorothy had silver slippers.

Exactly what did I say (shooting off my mouth),that was not based on observable or verifiable fact? Supply the quote, in context. Instead of your amusing paraphrasing of it.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
This reminds me of Catfish Hunter who was consistently among the leaders in home runs allowed. But a good many of them came with no runners aboard.
Curt Simmons of the Phillies was once beaten by the Cubs, 3-2. All three runs were bases empty home runs by the same batter, Hank Sauer. It was the second time in his career that Simmons was touched by Sauer three times.

Hunter once went 14 solo shots in a row. Twice in his career, Robin Roberts went streaks of 13 straight homers allowed with the bases empty.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-13-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't see the movie. I read the book, where Dorothy had silver slippers.

Exactly what did I say (shooting off my mouth),that was not based on observable or verifiable fact? Supply the quote, in context. Instead of your amusing paraphrasing of it.
Better that you figure it out for yourself.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:04 PM

13,296 posts, read 6,861,619 times

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. - YouTube

LMAO

Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 PM

13,296 posts, read 6,861,619 times
Justin Sellers, first career hit

Old 08-13-2011, 11:43 PM

Keppinger hit one out in the first inning tonight for the Giants, and as usual no one was on base. That extends the all time record to 21 consecutive solo homers.

In his last seven starts, Tim Lincecum has given up a total of six runs. He has pitched 46 innings and struck out 49 batters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball