Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I just keep my fingers crossed on Hamels,
Don't see much reason to cross your fingers. Hamels is having, by far, his best season, but that's to be expected given his age and ability to learn from Halladay, Lee and Oswalt. He might not be quite this good in the 2nd half, but no reason to expect any significant drop off.

Quote:
Oswalt (hopefully a return and innings on the plaoff push),
Yes, I hope that he's not done.

Quote:
and to me very important is Madsen to solidify the back end of the bullpen.
Madson has been the best Phillies' reliever for years.

Quote:
pen has worked out (Stutes, Bastardo, and Madsen) have been far better than anyone would have thought.
The bullpen could be a problem. Madsen is for real. Bastardo is ok. I don't really trust anyone else back there. Stutes is just a guy. His secondary skills are more like a guy who'll have an ERA over 4 than an ERA below 3.

The Phillies don't have any young pitchers, that I know of, to call up into the pen in the late season. They may have to make some moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 11:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Don't see much reason to cross your fingers. Hamels is having, by far, his best season, but that's to be expected given his age and ability to learn from Halladay, Lee and Oswalt. He might not be quite this good in the 2nd half, but no reason to expect any significant drop off.

Yes, I hope that he's not done.

Madson has been the best Phillies' reliever for years.

The bullpen could be a problem. Madsen is for real. Bastardo is ok. I don't really trust anyone else back there. Stutes is just a guy. His secondary skills are more like a guy who'll have an ERA over 4 than an ERA below 3.

The Phillies don't have any young pitchers, that I know of, to call up into the pen in the late season. They may have to make some moves.
Not worried about Hamals pitching, save 2009 he has been a stud and very consistent (no run support last year) it is the glove hand hand that has me worried but looks ok, may just miss one start.

Agree on Madsen - he has great stuff really. Maybe Lidge and/or Contreras can help later this year but not holding my breath

Yes no one to step in, but in watching Stutes he does have a certain tenacity.

Kendrick just plunked the first batter and a ground rule double to the third batter this afternoon. Halladay's start tomorrow cant get here soon enough.

Edit: Make that back to back doubles now for Kendrick

Old 07-01-2011, 01:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Kendrick just plunked the first batter and a ground rule double to the third batter this afternoon. Halladay's start tomorrow cant get here soon enough.

Edit: Make that back to back doubles now for Kendrick
What horrible managing. You take the lead in the top of the 7th and leave Kendrick in. That is just awful.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
Halladay
Josh Johnson
Jon Lester

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
I never thought i'd say it but don't count out Bartolo Colon. He's having a GREAT year.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Not # 55 he is struggling this year.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I never thought i'd say it but don't count out Bartolo Colon. He's having a GREAT year.
Let's not get carried away. Colon is back from the dead but he's not one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball.

His 3.17 FIP puts him around #30 around guys like Edwin Jackson and CJ Wilson, but with a lot less innings pitched

Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Let's not get carried away. Colon is back from the dead but he's not one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball.

His 3.17 FIP puts him around #30 around guys like Edwin Jackson and CJ Wilson, but with a lot less innings pitched
Damn Fili, get real. You take everything so seriously. What if I said the Sox were the worst team in baseball? Colon was having a solid year so far before todays start but I OBVIOUSLY don't put him in the class with Sabathia, Lee, Halladay, etc... Get yourself a beer now and chill....

Old 07-08-2011, 05:57 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Sabathia has been overpowering lately. But we recently "learned" from this thread that he isn't even in the top 12. By now, he may have fallen a few more spots.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Damn Fili, get real. You take everything so seriously. What if I said the Sox were the worst team in baseball?
You'd be wrong.
Quote:
Colon was having a solid year so far before todays start but I OBVIOUSLY don't put him in the class with Sabathia, Lee, Halladay, etc...
When you argue stuff like this I can't give you the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Get yourself a beer now and chill....
I don't drink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball