U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 AM

40,060 posts, read 19,366,010 times
Albert Pujols is by no means the first person to threaten not to show up for the All-Star Game. Some day, he may realize that the game is actually bigger than the individual. His absence will open up a slot for someone else to participate, who might not otherwise have the opportunity. That's most of what he'll accomplish.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,204,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Good ideas. Lets expand on them. I'd like to see and "All OOOOOO" All Star Game played exclusively by those players with names that have the "OOOO" sound in them such as Bruce, Moose, Goose, Lou, Hugh, Boog, Vida Blue, Bobo Newsom, ...any of the Alous. That way, for every batter throughout the game, when the fans start making that "OOOOOOOOO" cheer as they step to the plate, each time the announcer gets to intone that obligatory..."That's not boo, that's Louoooooooo they're saying."
We could use it to showcase the all-Italian team against the all-Polish team.

Or the all-house-parts team (Matt Stairs, Phil Roof, Rolando Roomes. Jimmy Key) against the all-bird team (Jon Jay, Billy Swift, Russell Martin, Dan Haren)

Old 05-21-2011, 06:15 PM

731 posts, read 1,251,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Albert Pujols is by no means the first person to threaten not to show up for the All-Star Game. Some day, he may realize that the game is actually bigger than the individual. His absence will open up a slot for someone else to participate, who might not otherwise have the opportunity. That's most of what he'll accomplish.
I also remember hearing that apparently Adrian Gonzalez would not show up either due to the infamous SB-1070 bill.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,456,244 times
game is sold out - i was able to just buy some tickets for the home run derby .... should be fun!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 PM

10,980 posts, read 6,751,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I wonder. Arizona lost hosting the 1993 Superbowl because of their refusal to honor the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. I would imagine that this gesture on the part of the NFL was at least partly a reflection of the majority of NFL players being African Americans. Arizona eventually yielded to the pressure and now honors the holiday.

MLB now has a very large percentage of Latino players, including a good chunk of the stars. If the Latin players act in concert and all of them boycott the game, it will make the game seem less legitimate, and more importantly, the story of the game won't be the players on the field, it will be the players not on the field and why. That story will have a national audience. It could be a pretty big stink and will draw lots of attention to the controversial SB-1070 bill. It could help inspire other boycotts of Arizona if it catches on and becomes orthodox pc. If Arizona starts losing conventions, filmmakers decide on other locations, businesses start to recharter themselves in New Mexico to escape the boycott......there would be a lot of economic pressure for Arizona to lose the law.

And please note...I have included no comments in favor or against SB-1070 bill. I am commenting only on the potential of the All Star boycott to have some impact.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 AM

except none of that stuff will happen or be sustainable ... even in the first wave it was pretty transparent that people like to make a stand as long as it doesn't cut into their checks

as stated, some of these vocal people had zero problems coming here for spring training and I don't see anyone refusing to come here to play the diamondbacks

the small amount of players who are in a position to do something and actually will do it are insignificant

this whole thing is pretty much yesterdays news as it continues to wind through the courts and other states start putting in their own legislation that can be the current rage

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM

7,342 posts, read 3,861,765 times
every year, I hope all of the Red Sox players skip the all-star game and take it easy for three days. The season's a grind, it's a nice little break in the middle. Even as a kid I was like that.

But I always enjoyed the game

Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 PM

5,831 posts, read 2,319,003 times
Several states have passed or are debating bills similar to SB-1070. And some states and localities are boycotting Arizona businesses. One of the first municipalities to do so was Columbus, Ohio. My friend who likes SB-1070 has quit going to the Clippers games. His brother who supports the Columbus boycott has decided to boycott my friend's Memorial Day cookout. Which will mean more food for me. I love boycotts.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,204,368 times
Several MLB teams have issued special ID cards to their Latino players, to try to smooth out any problems that might arise. No such need was perceived prior to SB-1070. The teams also make immediate legal counsel available to any player who is detained. This is a reflection of the fact that the matter is clearly of concern to Latino players, not just for themselves, but for fellow Latinos who have no such clout backing them up on a day to day basis.

The fact that players did not boycott spring training in Arizona nor road trips to play the DBacks, has nothing to do with boycotting the ASG. Spring training and road trips are conditions of employment, and refusal to report would be the end of their career. (Only Sandy Koufax could get away with that.) Not so the ASG, which is an option on their day off.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM

everyone is willing to make a stand - except when they aren't............

also, I don't believe a word about a thing you posted .... special ID cards, you mean something that is more valid than a government issued visa when trying to "smooth out any problems" ... yeah, that's believable

but keep trying to feed hysteria - the dis-information machine is thankfully starting to die on this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball