U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times

Advertisements

Momentum will soon be building on the possible boycott of the All Star Game in Arizona. Albert Pujols, a US citizen, has so far been the most outspoken proponent of a boycott and has indicted that he will not play.

Could this be the end of the All Star game? After all, who needs the All Star Game? The original All Star game was a publicity stunt by a Chicago newspaper. Through the early TV era, most Americans could not see any major league baseball on TV except the All Star game, the World Series, and maybe some Saturday afternoon games, so the ASG was eagerly awaited as a visual showcase of the great players of the times, like Hal Woodeshick and Jim Finigan.

But today, the fans don't need the All Star game, there's plenty of baseball now on TV. Baseball doesn't need the All Star Game. It's the TV networks who need the game. Getting what they want, as usual.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-15-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 05:50 PM

40,839 posts, read 18,553,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Momentum will soon be building on the possible boycott of the All Star Game in Arizona. Albert Pujols, a US citizen, has so far been the most outspoken proponent of a boycott and has indicted that he will not play.

Could this be the end of the All Star game? After all, who needs the All Star Game? The original All Star game was a publicity stunt by a Chicago newspaper. Through the early TV era, most Americans could not see any major league baseball on TV except the All Star game, the World Series, and maybe some Saturday afternoon games, so the ASG was eagerly awaited as a visual showcase of the great players of the times, like Hal Woodeshick and Jim Finigan.

But today, the fans don't need the All Star game, there's plenty of baseball now on TV. Baseball doesn't need the All Star Game. It's the TV networks who need the game. Getting what they want, as usual.
I agree that the AS Game is the north end of a south bound dinosaur. In the last several years, ratings for the homerun contest the night before have greatly outstripped the ratings for the game itself.

The MLB AS Game is sort of like the Miss America pageant, events which don't really know what they are anymore. Is it simply an exhibition? If so, then it hardly matters who wins and all those abnormal practices such as making sure everyone plays, having players from every team even it it means having undeserved All Stars on the roster, removing the big stars early in the game and so forth...are perfectly justified.

But...because MLB made it into something meaningful, determining WS home advantage, that suggests that the game is supposed to be a real competition. And if it is that, if both teams are supposed to be trying as hard as possible to win, then all those gimmicks listed above are unjustified. It should be the absolute best against the absolute best all the way with the lesser lights watching from the bench like they do in real games.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,764 posts, read 54,390,602 times
i agree, if it really means something let the best play the whole game, not change the whole team every two innings. That will never happen though, because of money. When an owner is paying his best player 15 million he doesn't want to risk injury. The same is killing the all-star games in football and basketball.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:14 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
idiocy all around and there is zero momentum of anything

even people like guillen who were so vocal last year reported to spring training without a peep

it's also still a fairly sought after, well attended and well viewed exhibition

Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,735,730 times
If you don't want an All-Star Game follow my example. Don't vote.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
. The same is killing the all-star games in football and basketball.
I'm not a basketball fan, but I understand that the NBA All Star game has some stunt value with stars showing off even more than they do during normal games. I do not think that the the NFL's Pro Bowl is dying because it has been in a post corporal state for some time.

Though I had not watched one for more than a decade, for whatever reasons I found myself tuning in to the most recent Pro Bowl. It was enlightening. The transparent ethic of the game placed primary value on not messing up their nice Hawaiian vacations by getting injured. Instead of hitting, they engaged in half dance/half wrestling tackles, with an extraordinary number of plays ended by whistle with no one on the ground. Another extradordinarily common event was runners heading out of bounds rather than trying for some more yards and getting tackled. A lot of the lineplay looked very much like what you see when a team is just falling on the ball to run out the last few seconds on the clock.

Speaking of wrestling, the game brought that sport to mind in that it unfolded in seemingly agreed upon, staged turns. The first half the NFC was in complete control, everything went their way as they racked up a 42-7 lead at the half. Then apparently the AFC coach put on a mask and threw some noxious powder into the NFC players eyes, because the second half was the Bizarro staging of the first. The AFC scored 34 points to the NFC's 13, not enough to overcome the first half blowout, but just as overwhelmingly one sided.

The 96 total points is easily understood had you watched this affair. When no is really trying to knock anyone off their feet, offense blooms.

As I noted, I had not watched one of these games for some time, but my memory is that they used to put on a more sincere pretense of actual effort. What I saw this year was pure comedy. They should change it to touch football so that it may become at least a competitive game again.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,820,988 times
I always enjoy it...

Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times
Yeah, I usually enjoy watching the AS game as well, though I would agree that it is not well thought out to have the WS homefield determined by it.

If anything - it could be a tie breaker, if both teams that make the WS have identical records, then use the AS game as a tie breaker, that way chances are good it won't have any meaning, but you can still sell it as if it does.

But I would prefer that it was just a straight exhibition game as well, but if MLB insists on making it have meaning, then I like my above idea better than the current system.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:25 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
How about an All-Rookie Allstar game, as a part of an Allstar double header. Most fans don't have much exposure to the more promising rookies, who play though the season pretty much incognito.

Or an All-Rodriguez/Gonzales All Star game, so we can learn to tell them apart? The Astros currently lead the league in Rodriquez, with three---all pitchers.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How about an All-Rookie Allstar game, as a part of an Allstar double header. Most fans don't have much exposure to the more promising rookies, who play though the season pretty much incognito.

Or an All-Rodriguez/Gonzales All Star game, so we can learn to tell them apart? The Astros currently lead the league in Rodriquez, with three---all pitchers.
Good ideas. Lets expand on them. I'd like to see and "All OOOOOO" All Star Game played exclusively by those players with names that have the "OOOO" sound in them such as Bruce, Moose, Goose, Lou, Hugh, Boog, Vida Blue, Bobo Newsom, ...any of the Alous. That way, for every batter throughout the game, when the fans start making that "OOOOOOOOO" cheer as they step to the plate, each time the announcer gets to intone that obligatory..."That's not boo, that's Louoooooooo they're saying."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball