Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 PM

938 posts, read 1,228,891 times

Advertisements

Unless Atlanta wins 100 next year. Remember this was a franchise that had won 14 straight Division titles. Hank Aaron at the helm - with them in your league you can never win enough games unless your more than 12 ahead with 6 games remaining. I'd like the 101 now -- just another reminder of such a great season -- so far. It is Baseball after all and what was that saying -- oh yeah!!!! "Its not over 'til its over".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
Unless Atlanta wins 100 next year. Remember this was a franchise that had won 14 straight Division titles. Hank Aaron at the helm - with them in your league you can never win enough games unless your more than 12 ahead with 6 games remaining. I'd like the 101 now -- just another reminder of such a great season -- so far. It is Baseball after all and what was that saying -- oh yeah!!!! "Its not over 'til its over".
Well, if next season it looks like Atlanta is going to win 101, then the Phillies can turn it up a notch.

As for "Its not over till its over", I've grown tired of that cliche and feel that it is time to replace it. How about "It doesn't start till it starts?"

Old 09-23-2011, 09:41 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
You'll have to wait until it's over before asking that one.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
Unless Atlanta wins 100 next year. Remember this was a franchise that had won 14 straight Division titles.
Which has nothing to do with now.

Quote:
Hank Aaron at the helm - with them in your league you can never win enough games unless your more than 12 ahead with 6 games remaining.
They'd really only have to be 7 games up with 6 games remaining.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 AM

Speaking of this season. An absurdity defining how good Atlanta was in the past. So good I hated them sorta like the Dallas Cowboys in their hayday. So good it hurt. You know what I mean New Englanders?

Old 09-24-2011, 01:05 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
The Braves' dominance might have continued to this day if Ted Turner had not sold out to Time-Warner, an entity more concerned with the bottom line than with winning division titles. One of my co-workers, who was a devout Braves fan, predicted what would happen when he saw the sale coming. I reminded him that, too, he would soon be owned by a corporation whose top brass were Yankee and Met fans.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:11 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I'm not sure Atlanta could've kept the momentum either way. You can't exactly replace a trio of HOF-caliber starting pitchers...yeah, Philly did it, but look how the Yankees (and everyone else with money) have struggled to sign non-homegrown pitching.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm not sure Atlanta could've kept the momentum either way. You can't exactly replace a trio of HOF-caliber starting pitchers...yeah, Philly did it, but look how the Yankees (and everyone else with money) have struggled to sign non-homegrown pitching.
Good point, but the Braves were a solid organization throughout, and I believe that some of the stars would have stayed around longer if the ownership and management philosophy had not changed.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Default Congrats Detroit Tigers!!!

Its nice to see an occasional David enter the scene. I'm a Phillies fan but enjoy good baseball and seeing them fend the way they did was an impressive start for them. Good Luck and hope we are able to be there in a Series.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Default Phillies - what's missing?

As extraordinary a season as a fan I feared St. Louis. When I watched the Phillies play the team lacked spark. I remember contest between the Marlins and Phillies in past years and the Marlins always seem to be able to put together 1 and 2 bats that have some pop and speed. I believe the Phillies have all the chemistry for the greatest of clubs but lack that speedy leadoff that causes Pitchers to go daffy. I think 2012 may see Rollins traded for some speed at the top of the lineup -- that coupled with the fine pitching, 3-6 of the order should give them the pop to allow them to go even further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball