Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 AM

2,326 posts, read 3,935,108 times

Advertisements

Why don't they move it a few weeks? I can imagine a scenario in which a college pitcher gets the news of being drafted while on the mound from a heckler. Some regionals were going on Monday and Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I don't see where that's a problem. The worst it can do is set back by a couple of days the player's eligibility to negotiate a signing bonus, but there's only one team in contention for the contract.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
If anything I wish they'd move it up to the time between the end of the regular season & the regionals

I really don't see too much ammo for a heckler - at least not A list material and even if they were able to come up with something, it seems like a lousy reason to move things forward

With MLB trying to create more excitement around their draft and get some of these players known at earlier stages I think it could create a nice memory/time marker for a fan to be able to see a guy who their team just drafted play a little bit

Could also boost ratings for the regionals as well - UCLA had 2 pitchers go in the top 3 and were eliminated by the time the draft happened .... would of been interesting as a Pirates or Diamondbacks fan to turn into the UCLA games to see these guys throw .... especially if you were a d'back fan who also followed ASU as they finished their season with a big series against UCLA

Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

With MLB trying to create more excitement around their draft and get some of these players known at earlier stages I think it could create a nice memory/time marker for a fan to be able to see a guy who their team just drafted play a little bit
The downside of that is having the fans clamor to have the guy brought up to the majors prematurely, which is neither good for the player nor the club, nor ultimately the fans..

I thought the whole idea of the draft was to select talent to be developed in your system, and not to showcase razzle-dazzle players commanding high signing bonuses who are not yet ready for MLB.

The sucessful teams of the future (thus serving their fans faithfully) will be the ones who quietly draft players that have raw athletic talent and the character and discipline to develop their tools as well as mature playing smarts. Scouts know who these players are---the media does not.

Frankly, I'm growing weary of "MLB trying to create more excitement", instead of just playing the game on the field and letting it sell itself on its own merits.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Bah - if a player can't play then there will be zero clammoring .... it really doesn't hurt anything

as a marlins fan i've seen it from all angles .... i've seen the josh booty route - super high prospect, who signed a big bonus, baseball only contract and couldn't hit a lick at a professional level .... no marlins fan was clamoring for him

then you have guys like miguel cabrera - who we were all excited about in the minors, were ecstatic when he made his jump from AA and he flat out performed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball