U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 AM

908 posts, read 1,569,242 times

Advertisements

Tampa Rays once again have the title of having the worst fans. Will someone please move this team to a city that can afford baseball tickets. This is an amazing franchise.

Best: 1. Tampa Bay Rays | Forbes: Best And Worst Baseball Teams For The Buck | Comcast.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:51 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,528,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Tampa Rays once again have the title of having the worst fans. Will someone please move this team to a city that can afford baseball tickets. This is an amazing franchise.

Best: 1. Tampa Bay Rays | Forbes: Best And Worst Baseball Teams For The Buck | Comcast.net
I would love to see them move to San Antonio, It would allow for them to move into the AL West and finally put that division up to 5 teams.

I read that MLB is planning to radically re-align the divisions soon anyway..

possibly moving the Astros to the AL West.. I think San Antonio would be a good baseball city though. Much better then Portland, Memphis, or Vegas.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:50 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,818,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post

I urge you to read this book about the Tampa Rays. The first few chapters discuss the history of Tampa getting a Major League Baseball franchise and the issues that the teams faces.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:21 PM

41,270 posts, read 18,634,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I urge you to read this book about the Tampa Rays. The first few chapters discuss the history of Tampa getting a Major League Baseball franchise and the issues that the teams faces.
You persuaded me, I just ordered it from Amazon. If I don't like it I'm cyber suing you.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,401,000 times
They'd do fine if they would just move to Tampa. Nobody wants to drive across that bridge to their games. Or even better, out toward Plant City/Lakeland, so people from Orlando wouldn't have any traffic on that end.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They'd do fine if they would just move to Tampa. Nobody wants to drive across that bridge to their games. Or even better, out toward Plant City/Lakeland, so people from Orlando wouldn't have any traffic on that end.
They can't 'just move to Tampa'

Quote:

Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,401,000 times
Quote:
They can't 'just move to Tampa'
I don't have time to read a whole book for an answer that someone can summarize for me in 25 words or less. If you can't or won't, maybe someone else will.

I didn't say they COULD just move to Tampa. I said much of their attendance problem arises from the fact that they are not in Tampa, a problem that would be partially resolved IF they moved.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,205,465 times
I have family in the area and i've been to the stadium. The support has grown but still not enough for such a competitive team. Maybe Orlando would be a better location.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 PM

41,270 posts, read 18,634,241 times
Quote:
Okay, I bought and read the book...and it was a stinker.

The gravest problem is that the author Jonah Keri, is a mediocre writer at best. He is attempting to do what Michael Lewis did, the differences being:
A) Michael Lewis is a very gifted writer
B) Having obviously learned the lesson from Moneyball of not having your industry secrets published in a book, the Rays played it a lot closer to the vest and revealed only the surface of things to Keri. At the end of the book I still had little idea of what actions or decisions represented the Two Percent of the title.

The Keri book reads a lot like it was authorized by the Rays publicity department and everything had to be submitted to them for approval before it could be published. It has a distinct feeling of a book which was assembled rather than written.

The Keri book also suffers for having had a sub mediocre editor. Repetition abounds. Before page 40 Keri had told the same story about the high school band which was asked to buy tickets, twice, the story of chasing fans out of the high priced seats twice, and the Dillards's Department store story twice.

In the book there are two different sub sections dealing with what a useless dump Tropicana Field is, and then just in case you didn't get the message, there is an entire chapter devoted to it toward the end.

If I can spot all of these flaws in one reading, what was the problem with the guy who was being paid to look for these sorts of errors? Keri's editor would have also been doing him a great kindness by explaining that humor in a book which has a serious theme, should be integrated and seem seamless, not interupt the story. Whenever Keri tries to be funny, it is as though..."Okay, timeout for a distantly related wisecrack where I take a gratuitous shot at someone or something which has nothing to do with the Tampa Bay saga...and now back to our show.."

Keri's editor also forgot to inform him that if you start a story, you need to finish it or explain its relevancy. Several times Keri mentions things and I was waiting to read how this panned out, or how it related to the Rays doings...but no explanation materialized.

There are chapters which go nowhere. Keri writes warmly, with much admiration, about the Rays promotional approach and how they were so much better than Naimoli in establishing community relations, but then has to admit that none of that seems to have helped attendance.

Even if it had been well written and edited, what remains is that Keri didn't have the goods for his subject. The Rays management team did not reveal their operational secrets to him and the sad fact is that neither Keri nor his readers has much of a clue as to how they did it. You could take "Moneyball" and instantly start to apply the Billy Beane methodolgies to your own team. Trying to do that with "Two Percent" would be an utter waste of time.

If "Moneyball" was a seven course dinner at a five start restaurant, "Two Percent " was the Grandslam Breakfast at Denny's.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Okay, I bought and read the book...and it was a stinker.

If "Moneyball" was a seven course dinner at a five start restaurant, "Two Percent " was the Grandslam Breakfast at Denny's.
I mostly agree with this

However, I didn't bring the book up because I felt it was an epic literary masterpiece. Just that it explained the Rays situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball