Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you have done with the ball from Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit?
Kept it for myself as memorabilia 0 0%
Given it back to Jeter 9 24.32%
Auctioned it off to the highest bidder 28 75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
BTW...the estimated value of the ball I believe was 250k. Had he sold it, he could have afforded the VERY same luxury boxes for the next 2-3 following seasons, paid off his student loans and pocketed another 20-30k. Jeter would have been happy with the ball, and his heart wouldn't have skipped a beat off of the money, and the kid would have less of a heart attack dealing with all of this.
Before a historic ball is actually auctioned, you will always hear some fantastic high value being estimated as its worth. This is merely the auction houses and agents hyping a wildly high figure in the hopes of establishing that value in the public's mind. The actual value of the ball would be whatever someone was willing to pay in order to own it. The auctioneers have no way of knowing in advance if there is anyone out there who wants the Jeter 3000 ball so badly that he or she would part with a quarter million bucks to get it.

It might be the case that the ball is really worth 50 k or such.

That is still a better deal than what the Yankees have provided in terms of reward.

The reasons that I would have ignored Jeter and sold the ball to the highest bidder are: A) Greed...I would want to maximize my luck and make the biggest killing possible. and B) Simply giving the ball to Jeter is a waste in that wealth that would be created via a sale, isn't generated at all when the ball is treated as a personal trophy of Jeter's. If I could sell the ball for 250 k, that is 250 k on which I will be paying taxes which go into the public treasury, I could give a portion to charitable causes, and even just spending it wildly and capriciously still churns money into the economy.

Sitting in a trophy room in Jeter's mansion...it does nothing but sit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
I would have auctioned it off/sold it. I would let Jeter get the first dibs at it and being that he's a pretty good romodel I wouldn't try and take advantage of him. A guy like A Rod? I would feel different about.

Even these guys who are good people I would still expect a lot. They are milionaires and will never have to worry about much once they get older as long as they are smart with their money. Myself on the other hand will probably have to work till im 70 years or even older. It's nothing personal it's just business. I'm not going to let a money maker like that fall in my lap without getting as much as I can for it.

Players these days have no problem going to the higest contract so I don't see why I should have to do any different when gaining a thing like that.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Consider: You have a video camera. You've captured many special moments on it. All of the data is on that camera. Someone else picks up that camera. Its worth $500 to them. Its invaluable to you. What if that person ransomed your camera back to you for 250K or even 3K? What kind of person would that be?
I see what you are trying to say, but horrible example .... if someone else "picks up" my camera - they are in criminal possession of my property - a mere thief

So the type of person who would steal from you and then blackmail you over the contents of your stolen possessions would be a criminal

Comparing someone who buys a ticket to a baseball game and catches a ball to a thief is a huge stretch.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I see what you are trying to say, but horrible example .... if someone else "picks up" my camera - they are in criminal possession of my property - a mere thief

So the type of person who would steal from you and then blackmail you over the contents of your stolen possessions would be a criminal

Comparing someone who buys a ticket to a baseball game and catches a ball to a thief is a huge stretch.
Its a metaphor. Don't over think this.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Embracing that particular metaphor as remotely appropriate demands that no thinking whatsoever be done.

Do they or do they not announce at every ML game that fans are allowed to keep any balls or bats that come into the stands? How does catching a ball and deciding to keep it in any manner compare to the act of theft and intentional extortion in the metaphor which was employed?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
I have been hearing that he's getting money from the Modell's guys and others are going to pay his taxes. I'm glad they took care of him.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
if a metaphor is what was looking to be accomplished then the poster needs to think harder .... as there is zero comparison between theft and extortion and catching a baseball that may have importance to someone

the thought of sentimental value for an indivual vs market value for the actual item isn't so abstract that it really needs a metaphor ... it's pretty easy to understand

but by drawing that comparison it's making it sound that auctioning off the ball is akin to theft - which is making a type of comparison that just doesn't need to be made

Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,461 times
If Jeter asked for it, yes. If he didn't, I'd sell it for the money.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
if a metaphor is what was looking to be accomplished then the poster needs to think harder .... as there is zero comparison between theft and extortion and catching a baseball that may have importance to someone

the thought of sentimental value for an indivual vs market value for the actual item isn't so abstract that it really needs a metaphor ... it's pretty easy to understand

but by drawing that comparison it's making it sound that auctioning off the ball is akin to theft - which is making a type of comparison that just doesn't need to be made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Embracing that particular metaphor as remotely appropriate demands that no thinking whatsoever be done.

Do they or do they not announce at every ML game that fans are allowed to keep any balls or bats that come into the stands? How does catching a ball and deciding to keep it in any manner compare to the act of theft and intentional extortion in the metaphor which was employed?
I guess some of us just do not take message board fodder quite as seriously as others.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 PM

yeah - because pointing out that comparing catching a ball to stealing someones personal property and then extorting them with it is a very poor comparison is taking things seriously ...... as seriously as the guy who goes out of his way to make posts about that person pointing it out....................

i seriously had trouble sleeping last night - kept nudging my wife telling her that she wouldn't believe what someone wrote on the internet............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball