U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

2,266 posts, read 1,458,270 times
Default When going to a baseball game: day or night?

I'm just interested in hearing what other people have to say about this. Living here in Tampa, it doesn't matter because the Rays have a dome. But whenever traveling, I try to go to night games. I have been to a day game on a few occasions, and it was both good/bad depending on what ballpark it was.

But I much prefer night. The past 2 games I went to outside of Tampa were at Yankee Stadium (one a playoff game) and both were night games. I'll be taking up a Mets and/or Yankee game next week, and this question just sprung into my mind to see what people prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,007,854 times
I guess I prefer day games slightly

But as long as the weather isn't too hot or too cold it doesn't much matter to me.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 AM

38,729 posts, read 34,398,394 times
Night games start out as day games, in full daylight, at midseason. At M:B stadiums, most seats are exposed to full daytime sunlight, with not many in the shade. (At bullfights in Spain, the seats in the shade cost 2 or 3 times as much as those in the sun.)

I would expect the biggest factor to be traffic accessibility to the ballpark. Getting to a week-day day game can be murder at a downtown stadium, especially if you need to park. Besides Wrigley, I think Ive been to only one such game in the past 25 years, at Comerica. But that ballpark is in a neighborhood where you'd much rather park on the street in the daytime, than at night.

I used to walk down the street to a lot of college games in Florida, where there were no lights and no shaded seating, so I'd sit in the sun, with a total attendance of maybe 10 or 20. It wasn't so bad, but then that was February to May. The college team here has lights, but play about half their games in the daytime, seats under the roof in the shade. As for viewing, I can't really say there is a difference. We have a summer collegiate league here, but they play only at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball