U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM

10,473 posts, read 5,992,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
He was NOT guilty on all charges.
Reality disagrees. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-07-2011 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: let's no make this personal

Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 AM

15,395 posts, read 8,087,695 times
I've never understood why Bonds draws such visceral disdain from baseball fans. If you have such a big problem with steroid use, then you shouldn't watch baseball at all because 90% of those guys are probably juicing.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 AM

28,826 posts, read 16,822,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
He was NOT guilty on all charges.
Just in case you aren't trolling the other poster (which I think you are).

Barry Bonds found guilty of obstruction of justice, mistrial on others - ESPN

Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM

28,826 posts, read 16,822,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I've never understood why Bonds draws such visceral disdain from baseball fans. If you have such a big problem with steroid use, then you shouldn't watch baseball at all because 90% of those guys are probably juicing.
It's because they already didn't like him and his attitude.

Personally, I never liked the guy and referring to McGuire as "that white boy" sure didn't help anything along with many many other egotistical comments coming from a guy that grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth.

HOWEVER, the entire era was amok with roids and if you look in the home run record books you will still see Sosa and McGuire, Clemons etc etc etc up there at the top. Baseball was looking the other way to help the league recover and frankly Bonds probably made the right decision and IMO should still easily go in the HOF unless you are going to exclude most of the top players from a 10-15 year period.

A lot of people can't seem to separate their feelings on the topic.

P.S. I probably dislike Clemens as much or more.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 PM

10,473 posts, read 5,992,094 times
Quote:
We do not know the identity of those 90%. For those middle of the pack players who juiced and never got caught, we will never know. If someone was destined to be a .250, 10 home runs a year sort, and steroids turned him into a .275, 15 home runs a years sort....nothing unusual enough has happened for us to be aware of it.

The reason Bonds draws so much disdain is that what he did was manifestly obvious once we learned about how widespread steroid use was. Same deal with Sosa and McGwire. They did things which we have come to learn just weren't possible without steroids.

Further, Bonds snatched the single season and all time home run records, something he could not have done without steroids, and that makes him the # 1 poster boy for the 'roid fraud we were watching. When you link all that to Bonds insufferable public personality, then of course he emerges as the star of the scandal. I thought that McGwire was always something of a dullard, and I hated Sosa's slap happy Sammy act, but those guys were popular and well liked by most fans before they got caught. Bonds didn't have a reservoir of existing good will upon which he could rely to deflect the storm of anger coming down upon him.

Finally, Bonds has gone the Pete Rose route and decided to hide behind tissue thin denials rather than confessing and apologizing for defrauding us. People get insulted when someone is obviously lying to them.

So it is quite understandable why Bonds has wound up being especially loathed.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,380,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Reality disagrees. MOD CUT
There is no proof.

Casey Anthony is NOT guilty also.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Barry Bonds is the only one that was NOT on Steroids.

He is just a hard worker and took LEGAL supplements.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just in case you aren't trolling the other poster (which I think you are).

Barry Bonds found guilty of obstruction of justice, mistrial on others - ESPN
That has nothing to do with Steroid use.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's because they already didn't like him and his attitude.

Personally, I never liked the guy and referring to McGuire as "that white boy" sure didn't help anything along with many many other egotistical comments coming from a guy that grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth.

HOWEVER, the entire era was amok with roids and if you look in the home run record books you will still see Sosa and McGuire, Clemons etc etc etc up there at the top. Baseball was looking the other way to help the league recover and frankly Bonds probably made the right decision and IMO should still easily go in the HOF unless you are going to exclude most of the top players from a 10-15 year period.

A lot of people can't seem to separate their feelings on the topic.

P.S. I probably dislike Clemens as much or more.
He is a very humble guy. If media can leave him alone then he won't give you attitude.

BB did not grow up with a silver spoon.

A-Rod admitted to take steroids so we can take his HR's out from the day he admitted.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Also, how does Steroids make you hit more HR's. Bonds had the best eye coordination to make contact and most of his HR's are line drive shots. Its not like his ball was carrying far like McGwuire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball