U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do People Still Collect Baseball Cards?
Yes 14 46.67%
Nope 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 PM

7,678 posts, read 18,905,816 times

Advertisements

I was born in 82 aka brewers first world series but not Milwaukee's first but the cities 3rd appearance. Growing up in late 80's and 90's baseball card trading seemed at it's height in the late 80's to early-mid 90's. Now it seems dead. I remember the days of collecting full sets and rushing to the store on saturday to pick up the latest Beckett. Collecting Beckett's actually became a thing of it's own too. I have such fond memeories of my father and I sitting at the dinner table with thousands of cards in white rowed boxes and plastic cases and putting cards in order and taking out duplicates. Do fathers still do this with their kids and are kids into collecting cards or was it just a fad. It seemed like once wrestling and power ranger and every other kind of card collecting came out it took the air out of collecting baseball cards. I still have my Griffey Jr rookie card, and the infamous Billy Ripken F Face card which I have 3 versions of. Growing up I knew of so many baseball players I knew who did what and when they started playing and where they went to AA or AAA at. I Still score baseball games but I think card collecting is dying just as scoring a baseball game is and just like having headphones on to listen to your favorite radio announcer call the game as you watch it.

Is card collecting dead and is it because there just isn't the profit like there used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM

12,840 posts, read 23,199,762 times
My kids do. They love em, just like I did (I was born in 1983, for reference).

Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 PM

6,467 posts, read 9,808,127 times
I love baseball cards. Have tons of them. Some very valuable.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 PM

7,678 posts, read 18,905,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I love baseball cards. Have tons of them. Some very valuable.
Do people still do it more for the novelty of it or for profit?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM

2,020 posts, read 2,886,394 times
Wow, great thread! Brought back some memories. You're totally right about the becketts too.

What dissappointed me with bekcets is they stopped listing a lot of cards. I know why because it became so busy but just dissappointing.

Like you I was born in the early 80's and began collecting in the early 90's with my dad. We have thousands and thousands of cards. Actually really wish I could get rid of a lot because it's just too much that we have.

A long with cards I collected starting lineups, magazines etc.

Up until recently I had still collected Dodger cards every few years to try and keep uptodate with my Dodgers collection. But I really stopped collecting cards back in about 1996 or 1997.

Reasons I stopped collecting was one, i was getting older and it got more expensive too. Also, it used to be where you'd collect a set and have 1-2 insert sets. Now, they just made too many insert sets to the point where you'd never be able to get them all. Also, too many parrallel sets to. One was fine like Topps Gold or leaf gold. But a parrallel set for each insert etc. was just too much.

My dad and I would go to card shows and he would get a lot of older cards for great prices and our collection just expanded exponentially.

Now days it also is dissappointing to buy a pack of cards and only get 7 cards per pack and even the wax boxes only have about 12 packs in them. you used to be able to buy a wax box and get 36 packs of cards with 12 cards per pack. Those were the days!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Also,

Now days people really focus on the condition of the card. People will send there cards in to get graded. If you have a perfect mint 10 card it's worth a lot more than the book value because it's so rare to get a perfect mint card. I never got into any of that and didn't even know it was an option until a few years ago.

I am still a member of a baseball forum called the-bench or something along those lines? so there is still a community for people with that interest.

Unfortunately I really have no desire to collect anymore. Outside of maybe keeping my Dodgers collection updated it no longer interests me.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 AM

8,936 posts, read 15,851,020 times
It's definitely gone by the wayside ... you can still get some becketts and other value books ... if you have any of the ones from the mid 90s go and check the values .... i did this a number of years ago and they've all pretty much tanked

then again, collecting cards was not exactly a profit motive for me

I enjoyed the photos, graphics, learning different players, getting all their historical stats & info at a fingers notice .... trying to find that diamond in the rough card or the misprint .... trading with friends ... going to the card shop (at one time my small town of 10,000 actually had two card shops) and haggling .... having my parents yell at me for blowing my money on frivolous crap

good times

I still have boxes & binders and the ever prized "unopened team sets" and maybe even an unopened season series or two

I have cards that I prize as gifts received (my Steve Largent rookie card for one) and ones that I gave as gifts (a golden nolan ryan)

I just think with the proliferation of cable, the internet, etc a lot of the things with cards have died down a bit

I'll still grab a pack every now and again - still think they make neat stocking stuffers and hope they never fade out completely

Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,686,612 times
yup. Still grab a pack once in a while.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's definitely gone by the wayside ... you can still get some becketts and other value books ... if you have any of the ones from the mid 90s go and check the values .... i did this a number of years ago and they've all pretty much tanked

then again, collecting cards was not exactly a profit motive for me

I enjoyed the photos, graphics, learning different players, getting all their historical stats & info at a fingers notice .... trying to find that diamond in the rough card or the misprint .... trading with friends ... going to the card shop (at one time my small town of 10,000 actually had two card shops) and haggling .... having my parents yell at me for blowing my money on frivolous crap

good times

I still have boxes & binders and the ever prized "unopened team sets" and maybe even an unopened season series or two

I have cards that I prize as gifts received (my Steve Largent rookie card for one) and ones that I gave as gifts (a golden nolan ryan)

I just think with the proliferation of cable, the internet, etc a lot of the things with cards have died down a bit

I'll still grab a pack every now and again - still think they make neat stocking stuffers and hope they never fade out completely

Last time I was in a car shop it was probably 2006 maybe 2007. I remembe the card shop owner say there used to be 200 stores in our area. He then said there is now 2 left. His store and another store. I remember driving past that store some time later only to see it had been closed. Internet has def hurt the business IMO. Also, the economy tanking a few years ago also hurt it I'm sure. At least where I live it costs too much to keep a store like that open.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM

6,467 posts, read 9,808,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Do people still do it more for the novelty of it or for profit?
I think when you are young it's for novelty. Once you get older it's for profit. But to be honest, I have never really considered selling any of them. I guess in a way it's nice to know that you have something to sell that is worth something in the event you go belly up.

But you know the saying.....something is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or