Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:14 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,524 times

Advertisements

I love how people rip Francona. He won 2 titles since '04 and got to game 7 of the ALCS in '08. He also was the man that led the Sox to that 3-0 comeback in '04. Apparently, it's all about "What have you done for me lately?". Francona is one of the best managers in baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:11 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The only one team can win the title statement will get you put in a COMA in this city
lol, wat

A) no single fan base would deny the statement "only one team can win a title"

B) You have several years of posts showing that you hate Philly and love to troll their fans - and that your comments about them have no basis in fact

C) lol wat

Old 10-01-2011, 11:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I think blaming Francona for the Red Sox swoon is bogus just like heaping tons of praise on him for two world championships may be overstating it.

Francona is a good solid manager-----he had nothing to do with
1. Kevin Youklis injuries---his absence was profound---missed his leadership and hustle
2. Bucholtz injury
3. the off years and production from Crawford and Lackey
4. having to use pitchers nobody heard of in September
5. they could have used another arm down the stretch

Maybe Francona recognized that the latest composition of this team just didnt respond to his leadership------but I would not hold this against him------the Red Sox have won two world series championships during his reign, which is two more than they won for many many years.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Tamiznluv:
Quote:
The in and outfield totally fell apart in Septmeber
Well, that is everyone save the pitcher and catcher. You need to be more specific. Are you saying the pitching was the same but the defenders collapsed and played poorly? Do you have some data of any sort upon which you base this?

Are you saying that the infielders and outfielders collapsed offensively as well? That is clearly not the case, I provided the data which shows that their offense performed as well in Septemeber as it had for the rest of the year.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
So if that's the case what was the Red Sox paying Francona to do?
What were the Lakers and Bulls paying Phil Jackson to do? The Yankees/Torre? A manager makes substitutions when necessary but players have to perform. Most solid managers probably have only a few games a year that their substitutions lead to losses.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:57 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
What as a yankee fan makes you uniquely qualified to answer this question? I've watched every game in September and francona had PLENTY to do with the sox collapse. If you had watched the games I'd be inclined to think you'd agree.
It doesn't make me more qualified. It's just the fact that alot of people think that Yankee fans would just blame the team or the manager because we hate the sox. Whether I like a team or not, I can always be unbiased. Alot of times this year I saw Girardi making major substitution mistakes with the pitchers. Many times taking out AJ Burnett too late or guys like Sabathia too early. With Burnett it was easy to see that he was winding down after 4-5 innings in most games.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
What were the Lakers and Bulls paying Phil Jackson to do? The Yankees/Torre? A manager makes substitutions when necessary but players have to perform. Most solid managers probably have only a few games a year that their substitutions lead to losses.
What should Francona be held accountable for this season?

Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
lol, wat

A) no single fan base would deny the statement "only one team can win a title"

B) You have several years of posts showing that you hate Philly and love to troll their fans - and that your comments about them have no basis in fact

C) lol wat

No fan in this city would ever look at the bright side of FAILURE.

That's like me being interviewed for a position and know that several candidates are being interviewed and would accept not getting the job because other people were interviewed. I would still be pissed and would want to improve on how I can win if in that situation again.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:38 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
What should Francona be held accountable for this season?
Maybe you should answer your own question, as you seem to want to blame him for everything without mentioning anything specifically he did to lose the team games.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
I love and always will love Tito for 2004 and 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball