Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times

Advertisements

I was a young kid back in the 50's and my dad played ball for the local team as a pitcher so naturally I aspired to a pitching career long before I was in Junior High. Unfortunately, while my pitching was near historic levels pf play for a kid my age, my ability to either catch or dodge a ball right off of the bat was lacking...a lot. After 2 concussions in one season, my dreams were over. In Texas, we had no professional baseball teams and the Cards were like Gods to me back then. Some things never change even after so many years. While I would have loved to see the Rangers finally get a series, it was not a let down to see my Cards win. They've always been an ELITE team to me. And after game 6 of this series, they have reached new heights to just how deep a team can reach into their souls and beings to pull out a win. My hats off to them, the best team won this year without a doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
From now on, the Cardinals are in the same category as the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies.

This is an elite franchise, with lots and lots of tradition, great hall of famers, in a city that bleeds baseball, who currently has the best player in baseball and the best manager, whether you hate him or love him. This is the team who is second in world series championships, second only to the mighty Yankees, and the team with the most NL pennants.

So let's heart it for the Cardinals!
With last's night championship victory, the Cardinals are now arguably the best team in baseball over the last 10 years. I think the Red Sox or Yankees may have made the case for their being the team of the 2000-2009 decade, but over this most recent ten year period, which began in 2001, it's hard to argue against the Cardinals as being *the* team. They tie the Red Sox for the most titles in that period, and their three trips to the WS ties the Yankees. The Yankees have been to the post-season more, but who wouldn't with that payroll?

Had the Phillies won the title this year they would have been the best team over the past five years, without question. I think they're an elite team but they're aging even faster than St. Louis at this point. And even if Pujols leaves, you know the Cardinals will hang on to someone and go after another big name.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
From now on, the Cardinals are in the same category as the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies.

This is an elite franchise, with lots and lots of tradition, great hall of famers, in a city that bleeds baseball, who currently has the best player in baseball and the best manager, whether you hate him or love him. This is the team who is second in world series championships, second only to the mighty Yankees, and the team with the most NL pennants.

So let's heart it for the Cardinals!
maybe if they win one more world series to make it a better sounding "even dozen", maybe then.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Well, after watching the past 5 games,,, I don't think that they deserve to be in that "elite" stature... for to be in that kind of company, they'd should have shown more intelligence, grit, determination, and desire... instead of swatting for the fence, when a simple base hit would do... instead of jogging down to first base on a "ground out", hustle like you really want it. So durn disappointed in their playing in these games. So many lost opportunities to win. Congrats to the Rangers on some good playing on their behalf. Cards need to pull their bats out of their collective tails, and play some Whitey ball. TLR is smart,,, but good grief, some of the choices he makes...
Well, I think they heard you, and the Cardinals have taken the World Series to a national level event after the already a classic game 6.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I don't think east coast bias has anything to do with it...as "east coast bias" is nothing but a myth. Up there with the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, and Braves, other teams that also get unending media coverage compared to others are the Dodgers, Giants, and Cubs. Probably due to the fact they those teams are from some of the largest metros in the country, so the media will give attention to the teams that will get the most viewers, which means higher ratings, which means $$$. Simple as that. And even the Phillies, from the 4th largest metro in the country and the largest with only 1 MLB team, didn't get any respect or attention from the national media until they won the WS in 2008 and became a perennial playoff team....despite being squarely on the east coast. Before that, the Phils were treated like the KC Royals.
Well, weren't the Phillies treated like the Royals by Philadelphians as well? I've heard many times that in Philadelphia is was all about the Eagles and Sixers, until the Phillies won the '08 WS.

Anyway, my point with the Cardinals is that there is so much greatness surrounding that franchise, that is unbelievable how many people in the baseball world, including the media, disregards it as a lesser team. But somehow the stars aligned after I made this threat, the team put on the greatest WS game in decades, wins the WS with the highest TV rating higher since the Red Sox-Yankees '04 game 7, and to top it all, one of the greatest manager, if not the best, retires with a Cardinals hat on. Now the managerial job at St. Louis is being called the best job in baseball. If Pujols decides to stay, then I will probably argue that the Cardinals are the second best franchise in baseball.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
When did they do that assuring? At the end of this season they forced the resignation of their executive operating owner because he had gone over budget without getting permission from the board of directors. That certainly hints at the opposite...that there is belt tightening in the near future.
Didn't know that. Well, the Giants owners seem to be pocketing the money then. Is a shame, because ATT might be the best stadium in baseball, but it gets tiring watching all the veterans whose time might have already passed (Tejada, Cabrera, Beltran, Zito) playing mediocre baseball all season long. The pitching is still amazing, but if they don't sign an offensive power player, they won't be able to contend for another WS.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
As a Giants fan, I think Game 6 on WS had to be the best and the most clutch ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball