Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,297 times

Advertisements

thanks for the memories Tim Wakefield. class act, good luck in what ever you choose to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,519 times
I cannot think of one good reason the Yankees invited Preston Mattingly to camp except that it might be a good will gesture to Don who went away mad. Preston has not exactly torn the cover off the ball in 6 seasons of Single A ball.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
I still can't believe that Roy Oswalt is unsigned. Is he being really picky about where he signs...or is his back problem worse than we know?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I still can't believe that Roy Oswalt is unsigned. Is he being really picky about where he signs...or is his back problem worse than we know?
He's picky enough to not want to go to Pittsburgh.

I think he's one of those who will demand going to a contender.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 AM

I think Oswalt is becoming baseball's Brett Favre.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Why?

It's not like he's hinting that he wants to hang them up or is trying to draw out the process to bring attention to himself ..... he's also not going around carrying a grudge against current/former teams

Keep in mind with him that it's a two way street ........ not only does he have to find a situation that is good for him, he needs to find a team that wants him

The guy has had some injuries and has some serious question marks about his ability to perform this year - let alone 2-3 years down the line.

From my understanding he is looking to get a deal that is near 3 years that would pay him pretty well ...... what is out there from good teams are pretty much 1 year deals or short deals with options that give them a lot of flexibility if he can't get it done anymore

I also think both sides are waiting a bit to see how his rehab goes and he can try and prove what he can do

It's not like you're reading about a half dozen teams beating down his door and aggressively trying to get him

Then throw in that many teams filled their big needs this year and next years pitching class is loaded (probably another reason why a 1 year deal wouldn't make him super pumped) - i understand why this one is taking a while

Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,519 times
It seems like only yesterday when Oswalt was such an important part of the impending Phillies dynasty.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
It seems like only yesterday when Oswalt was such an important part of the impending Phillies dynasty.
Probably still would be if not for his balky back and the emergence of Vance Worley.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:10 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Ryan Zimmerman of Washington Nationals agrees to six-year, $100 million extension, sources say - ESPN

Can someone explain to me where the Nationals are getting all this money from? did Washington just incorporate the nationals into some public program and tax dollars are paying for their salaries?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Can someone explain to me where the Nationals are getting all this money from? did Washington just incorporate the nationals into some public program and tax dollars are paying for their salaries?
The team is owned by real estate giant Lerner Enterpises which is run by Ted Lerner who is said to be personally worth 3.5 billion. Lerner bought the team from its MLB caretakers in 2006 for 450 million dollars.

The public contribution was in the form of the DC residents getting raped for most of the financing for the new 600 million dollar stadium which Lerner gets to use to make money.

While the Werth signing made them look bad last season, I think in general these folks know what they are doing and are at least heading in the right direction. One of the first moves they made after Lerner took over was to lowball on their extention offer to Soriano, driving him to sign with the Cubs and become their Albatross. The Nats also seemed to have oraculated correctly on Adam Dunn's future, allowing him to walk away and sign with the White Sox.

While the price is high for Zimmerman, they have locked up what should be the most productive part of his career, ages 27 through 34. The upside is he becomes the club's George Brett, the downside is he becomes the club's Eric Chavez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball