Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:23 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times

Advertisements

Trumbo got robbed for AL ROY.

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
AL MVP will be announced in about an hour

Three main candidates: Jacoby Ellsbury - BOS, Jose Bautista - TOR and Justin Verlander - DET

This was my vote: Bautista, Ellsbury, Verlander, Cabrera (Miguel), Pedroia, Sabathia, Kinsler, A-Gonzalez, Gordon, Longoria

I'm going to say that the BBWAA will elect Verlander. Ellsbury will get downgraded due to Boston's collapse. Bautista will also lose votes because the Toronto Blue Jays aren't as good as the Red Sox, Rays or Yankees. Verlander was the best MVP candidate from the teams that made the playoffs, so I think he'll win.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
AL MVP will be announced in about an hour

Three main candidates: Jacoby Ellsbury - BOS, Jose Bautista - TOR and Justin Verlander - DET

This was my vote: Bautista, Ellsbury, Verlander, Cabrera (Miguel), Pedroia, Sabathia, Kinsler, A-Gonzalez, Gordon, Longoria

I'm going to say that the BBWAA will elect Verlander. Ellsbury will get downgraded due to Boston's collapse. Bautista will also lose votes because the Toronto Blue Jays aren't as good as the Red Sox, Rays or Yankees. Verlander was the best MVP candidate from the teams that made the playoffs, so I think he'll win.
bbwaa.com/2011/11/2011-al-mvp/
Quote:
Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander, the unanimous choice for the American League Cy Young Award this year, added the AL Most Valuable Player Award trophy to his collection as well in balloting by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America.

Verlander - DET 280
Ellsbury - BOS 242
Bautista- TOR 231
Granderson - NYY 215
Cabrera - DET 193
Cano- NYY 112
Gonzalez - BOS 105
Young - TEX 96
Pedroia - BOS 48
Longoria - TB 27
Kinsler - TEX 25
Avila - DET 13
Konerko - CHI 11
Sabathia - NYY 10
Beltre - TEX 9
Zobrist - TB 7
Martinez - DET 7
Shields - TB 7
Teixeira -NYY 5
Cabrera - CLE 4
Gordon - KC 3
Hamilton - TEX 1
Robertson -NYY 1

Michael Young at #8 is ridiculous.
That Gordon got only 3 votes is also ridiculous
David Robertson? Really?

CJ Wilson had this to say (via twitter)
Quote:
Wow @justinverlander won the MVP!! Damn- CY young and MVP. What a boss

Last edited by filihok; 11-21-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Michael Young got 1 first place vote.

It was cast by Evan Grant of Dallasnews.com

Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Michael Young got 1 first place vote.

It was cast by Evan Grant of Dallasnews.com

Apparently your analysis failed to factor for sparkitudinality and inspirationizing.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:38 PM

How The Top AL MVP Finishers Were Acquired: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

4 of the top 10 AL MVP finishers were drafted by the team that they played for in 2011.
5 were acquired in trade
1 was an international free agent

Old 11-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
bbwaa.com/2011/11/2011-al-mvp/

Michael Young at #8 is ridiculous.
Twitter
Quote:
Michael Young wasn't even the Rangers' most valuable Michael
Michael Young 3.8 WAR
Mike Napoli 5.6 WAR

Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM

This is why MVP's and Cy Young's shouldn't hold much sway in Hall of Fame discussion.

Peter Abraham, MVP voter

Quote:
I do not put much stock in general character, disposition or loyalty as it's impossible for me to get an accurate gauge of these qualities
Quote:
You have to give [Miguel Cabrera] credit for posting a .344/.448/.586 season after that DUI in spring training and all the subsequent controversy
??? Isn't bringing up Cabrera's DUI and overcoming of it and the controversy putting stock in his character and/or disposition?
Quote:
I do not put much stock in general character, disposition or loyalty as it's impossible for me to get an accurate gauge of these qualities
Quote:
In making my vote, I relied heavily on the statistics at Fangraphs.com

If two players are similar statistically, I would favor the player on the better team.
Quote:
4. Robinson Cano (Yankees): Curtis Granderson had a statistically superior season. But every Yankees person I spoke to, and I asked a bunch of them, felt Cano was more valuable because how he held down a middle of a lineup that showed some cracks this season
Isn't Cano holding down the middle of the lineup related to his character and loyalty?

Granderson had the "statistically superior season" (excellent use of alliteration, BTW) and you said that if two players were statistically similar you would vote the player on the better team. Well, Granderson was statistically superior and on the same team as Cano, but you picked Cano???
Quote:
If two players are similar statistically, I would favor the player on the better team.
Quote:
You can certainly make a case [Miguel Cabrera] was just as valuable as Verlander. But Victor Martinez and Alex Avila provided the Tigers with plenty of pop, too.
So he favors the guy on the better team, which presumably has better players, but then knocks down Cabrera because Martinez and Avila are good players with 'plenty of pop, too'???
Quote:
I would favor the player on the better team.
Quote:
10. Alex Gordon (Royals): Once I decided I could not in good faith vote for a third Red Sox player or another Yankee or Tiger
So, you voted for Gordon because the Red Sox, Yankees, and Tigers were good teams with a lot of good players???

Last edited by filihok; 11-21-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 PM

More Baseball Writer/MVP voter brilliance

Jim Ingraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ingraham
I was the only voter who didn't include Verlander anywhere on his 10-player ballot.

This was my reasoning:

The short version is I don't believe pitchers should be eligible for the MVP Award.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP Ballots
There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.
The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931:

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.

2. Number of games played.

3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.

4. Former winners are eligible.

5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.

Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM

NL MVP will be announced in just under 2 hours

Ryan Braun and Matt Kemp would appear to be the front runners

This was my vote: Kemp, Halladay, Braun, Kershaw, Lee, Votto, Tulo, Reyes, Panda, McCutch

EDIT: It'll be interesting to see how Halladay and Kershaw place in the voting. Kershaw beat Halladay for the CY, and was a better hitter, but will Halladay beat Kershaw in the MVP voting?

Last edited by filihok; 11-22-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball