Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times

Advertisements

The DH rule needs to go....or at least stay out of the NL. Let the fans who would rather watch a baseball version of Arena Football be American League fans. Just because pitchers are light hitters doesn't mean they shouldn't bat. What about all the shortstops who are kept around for their amazing defense but barely hit .230? Or catchers that that can't hit but are kept for their defense and handling of the pitching staff? Should we allow up to 3 DH's in the lineup??

As far as the Astros moving to the AL, I don't get it. Didn't they just move the Brewers to the NL barely a decade ago or so? Why not just move the Brewers back to the AL? I'm glad I'm not a Houston fan, there will be a lot of late night road games at Seattle, Oakland, and Anaheim. I already hate when my Phils make 1 trip a year to the west coast....hate those 10:30 pm games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE DUDE View Post
I think it sucks. The Astros are a National League team, move the Brewers back to where they belong to even things out. AND ENOUGH with the expanded playoffs! Pretty soon it will be another NHL where every team makes the playoffs!
Agreed. I didn't see why they just couldn't move Milwaukee back to the AL or move either the Diamondbacks or the Rockies (time zones notwithstanding), two teams with less tradition and tenure than either the 'Stros or the Brewers.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Agreed. I didn't see why they just couldn't move Milwaukee back to the AL or move either the Diamondbacks or the Rockies (time zones notwithstanding), two teams with less tradition and tenure than either the 'Stros or the Brewers.
I don't want to move the the AL East again, NYY, BOS and little ol MIL the Brewers would never win another division. Maybe the AL Central, but I agree the dbacks or rockies should move.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM

758 posts, read 590,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I don't want to move the the AL East again, NYY, BOS and little ol MIL the Brewers would never win another division. Maybe the AL Central, but I agree the dbacks or rockies should move.
Nobody said the Brewers had to move to the AL East. Like I said, I proposed an Eastern Conference and Western Conference altogether like in the NBA and NHL. Then the Brewers would be in the same division as Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and maybe Pittsburgh. Also, I think there should be salary caps and floors in the MLB like there are in every other sport so that the amount of revenue each team gets is distributed equitably. That's why I like football better than baseball because the differences between the really good teams and really bad ones that anything can happen any giving Sunday. Football is more spontaneous and more exciting to watch than baseball which becomes pretty boring and predictable after awhile.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
^ I think the best possible solution would be to banish all this talk about realignment for ever and ever, and just leave things the way they are. Owners egos and television dollars should be pushed off to the side, as well. I know it's completely utopian, but what would make me happiest is if baseball was turned back into a spectator sport (as opposed to its current status as a media event).
That's exactly why I like the idea of realignment and Designated Hitters. I even like the concept of each team having their own set of complimentary colors rather than every other franchise donning blue-and-red. The owners and television dollars scream so loudly because there isn't anyone or anything like this to keep them in check. If I had it my way, they'd practice these principles I just mentioned across the board, and they would have salary caps and floors.

Also, I'd have the baseball playoffs changed to where there were 8 teams that make it, and they'd have first rounds, conference semi-finals, conference finals, and then the World Series. I'd have the top seed play the number 8 seed while the number 2 seed plays number 7 and so on and so forth like they do in the NBA and NHL. I'd have baseball start the first week of April, and each team would play 30 games in each month so that the season would be over by mid-September and the 16 teams that made it to the playoffs would get ready for the postseason.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Houston Astros announce fan-friendly initiatives for 2012 | MLB.com: News

Crane also said they would consider a name change, but he indicated nothing was on the horizon on that front.

This I am not in favor of!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Default The Astro-Nots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Houston Astros announce fan-friendly initiatives for 2012 | MLB.com: News

Crane also said they would consider a name change, but he indicated nothing was on the horizon on that front.

Nothing on the horizon he said? Trustworthy fellow:
Quote:
HOUSTON -- New Houston Astros owner Jim Crane is considering changing the name of the franchise as well as its uniforms.

Crane said Monday the team will conduct a study to decide whether or not to switch the name.

"We're going to study the information both from the fans and from all sorts of marketing people," Crane said. "I'm not saying we're going to change. We haven't made the decision yet whether we're going to change."

"We haven't said we're going to do that, so don't jump to any conclusions," he said of a possible name change. "Sometimes change is good."
New Houston Astros owner Jim Crane mulls name, uniform change - ESPN

Sure sounds like he is greasing the skids for a name change.

The article points out that "Astros" was chosen in the '60's when the space program was a mania and Houston was its center. The Shuttle program is no big deal to most people, so I'm confident that they will hire some marketing firm to test out new names which appeal to younger Houstonians.

What is yet unexhausted among Texas symbolism? Colt 45's has already been used, so that is out. Dallas has the Cowboys and Mavericks, Arlington has the Rangers, San Antonio has the Spurs, Houston has the Texans... and the Rockets (another NASA holdover) ..

Cactus? Saddles?

Tumbleweeds? Bushwhackers? Hornswogglers? Rustlers? Sidewinders?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Nothing on the horizon he said? Trustworthy fellow:

New Houston Astros owner Jim Crane mulls name, uniform change - ESPN

Sure sounds like he is greasing the skids for a name change.

The article points out that "Astros" was chosen in the '60's when the space program was a mania and Houston was its center. The Shuttle program is no big deal to most people, so I'm confident that they will hire some marketing firm to test out new names which appeal to younger Houstonians.

What is yet unexhausted among Texas symbolism? Colt 45's has already been used, so that is out. Dallas has the Cowboys and Mavericks, Arlington has the Rangers, San Antonio has the Spurs, Houston has the Texans... and the Rockets (another NASA holdover) ..

Cactus? Saddles?

Tumbleweeds? Bushwhackers? Hornswogglers? Rustlers? Sidewinders?
You're forgetting one thing, though. Cacti is plural for cactus, and cacti don't grow in Houston. The climate there is too humid. I know most people think Texas is all sand and desert, but most of those old John Wayne cowboy movies were filmed in Monument Valley along the Utah/Arizona border. Around Houston is actually swampland and bayous like in New Orleans. Most of the city is mostly piney woods. In fact, there's a town north of Houston called "The Woodlands" for that very reason. Trust me! I grew up in that neck of the woods.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Orpheus
Quote:
You're forgetting one thing, though. Cacti is plural for cactus, and cacti don't grow in Houston. The climate there is too humid.
Nicknames may be singular, such as The Miami Heat, or The Chicago Fire. All that is required is the insertion of the definite article..."Here comes The Cactus!"

But, no problem, The Houston Hornswogglers it is. They have hornswogglers in Houston, don't they?

Last edited by Grandstander; 01-24-2012 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Orpheus

Nicknames may be singular, such as The Miami Heat, or The Chicago Fire. All that is required is the insertion of the definite article..."Here comes The Cactus!"

But, no problem, The Houston Hornswogglers it is. They have hornswogglers in Houston, don't they?

Yes, I imagine they do considering there are 6 million and counting people there. One might surmise there are hornswogglers in every major American city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball