U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:37 AM

7,386 posts, read 4,021,396 times

Advertisements

I might spend a week in the Tampa area this spring so I was checking ticket prices to the 8 stadiums in reasonable driving distance from Tampa.

here's my source
Grapefruit League Stadiums - Florida Spring Training Map

I'll start with the ones I'll never visit due to there exorbitant ticket prices

Toronto-cheap seats $16
Baltimore- Cheap seats $20
Houston- Cheap seats $19
Atlanta- cheap seats $28

c'mon guys it's spring training

now the ones I will try to visit

Detroit- cheap seats $2
Pittsburgh- every seat $3
NY Yanks- cheap seats $3 many at $4 and $5 also
Philly- cheap seats $7

I expect I'll go to a game every day, Detroit once because Lakeland is kind of out there a little.
the rest of the time going between Pitt, NYY and Philly,

wearing my Red Sox gear of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 PM

19,209 posts, read 16,300,066 times
Will see your Sox May 6th

Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,214,572 times
I didn't make it to any of the exhibition games this year in Phoenix but three of the previous four years I was in Tucson for Rockies games. Prices were ideal (4 to 5 dollar range.) Would stay a week at one of the extended stay motels.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 8,669,421 times
I've never made that trip to Florida in winter, though there has been a February or two that got me seriously thinking about it. If I did go, there would be two draws. A nice beach and spring training baseball. Just my luck, I'd walk smack into an alligator's mouth while he was yawning. It'll happen when my working days are over. Hopefully not the alligator thing, but the other two.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:15 AM

906 posts, read 1,279,267 times
I went to some spring training games in 2005.

Vero Beach-Dodgers Vs Mets
Melbourne-Nationals Vs Marlins
Orlando- Tigers Vs Braves

I agree those ticket prices are ridiculous. I can't remember what I paid but I do think it was a little higher than the cheap ones you listed because of having to buy them online (stupid fees).

The stadium the Braves play at is right in Disney World so it's a really nice well kept stadium. Unfortunately my Dodgers left Vero Beach but that was also a awesome complex.

Spring training games are really only enjoyable if you like seeing those organization players or upcoming stars in your organization. The big time starts will bat maybe twice and dissappear by the 4th or 5th inning.

I have to say I am impressed with the Yankees prices. Yankees and Red Sox draw the most because of there stars. Yet the Astros are very high and have no name stars.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,684,900 times
They can be enjoyable as well to see the big name players - really good access to the workouts and for the price it's hard to compare how close you can see them play, even if it is only half a game

If you follow the farm it just gets a whole lot better

Old 12-29-2011, 11:48 PM

13,462 posts, read 16,149,856 times
Yeah, some of the tickets are a bit expensive, but I figure what the heck, it is only for a brief period.

I've been down to Florida 3 times for Spring Training, from the early 90's through mid 2000's. Always based in the Tampa and Lakeland areas, lots of knowledgeable and enthusiastic folks to be around. Though not a Tigers fan, I really enjoyed Tigertown, the Detroit fans are a lot of fun to exchange barbs with during games.

Since moving out West, I'm more Arizona based now, and will be going down to Spring Training for a week in mid March.

I'm planning on going to 3 stadiums, Goodyear, Scottsdale and Camel Back Ranch in Glendale.

Prices seem to be in the $18-$22 range for the types of tickets I usually pick up.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 AM

If you are in need of any information about food/drink/activities around goodyear or glendale let me know.

I'm wanting to make it out to Salt River Fields this year - supposed to be a gem

was just out at scottsdale not that long ago for the AFL championship game - nice complex

Just received my city newletter today, here are some dates to note for Goodyear

Fireworks - March 16, 22, 23 & 31

Catch on the Field - March 12 & 18

Autograph Days - March 3, 7, 12, 14, 19, 26 & 28 - ticketed autograph time prior to the start, shortly after the gates open

Discounted Berm Seats - buy one, get the 2nd for $1 (so it's $9 for 2 tickets) - anytime the two Ohio teams play each other

Hopefully attendance picks up a bit this year

Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM

13,462 posts, read 16,149,856 times
Thanks for the info, especially the fireworks stuff. I'll have a kid with me who will really enjoy that show.

I was at the Goodyear complex a few years ago, when the Indians first moved down there. Frankly, as someone who spends a bit of time watching the minor league prospects I found their setup rather restrictive, especially in comparison to their Florida arrangements. I can't watch the pitchers anymore, and the minor league "games" have crappy views from the risers.

But, for a few days you just deal with it. I do wish the folks managing the complex would improve fan access a bit though. I understand they are there to work, but other places I've been to were MUCH more fan friendly.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM

It's improved a lot .....

Where the reds up and running when you first came down?

I know in the first season a huge obstacle was that half the site was still a construction zone which obviously will restrict access........ they also did listen to a lot of feedback and have put in the effort to open it up a little bit more.

Probably still not as intimate as some - but definitely better.

On a side note, I'll miss seeing Bob Feller bumming along out here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball