Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the AL West in 2012?
Texas Rangers 19 65.52%
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,464,279 times

Advertisements

The A's got their SS in Stephen Drew. I'm not sure it was the right way to annouce the trade, however. In case, you don't know, the trade was announced over the Oakland Colosium PA announcer. Imagine, if your Cliff Pennington (the old starting SS and who was playing SS that night) and you hear this.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have aquired a new starting SS, Stephen Drew of the Diamondbacks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:01 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,377,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The A's got their SS in Stephen Drew. I'm not sure it was the right way to annouce the trade, however. In case, you don't know, the trade was announced over the Oakland Colosium PA announcer. Imagine, if your Cliff Pennington (the old starting SS and who was playing SS that night) and you hear this.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have aquired a new starting SS, Stephen Drew of the Diamondbacks."
How "classy." Almost as "classy" as bragging about how they built a successful organization with cheap labor.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:15 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
How "classy." Almost as "classy" as bragging about how they built a successful organization with cheap labor.
When the system is set up unfairly from the start, it certainly is something to brag about when you can scam a winner out of it.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

The mortification wasn't Pennington's, he didn't lose a job, he and his .263 on base average have been shifted to secondbase. The victim was secondbaseman Jemile Weeks whose .302 on base average was sent down to Sacramento to clear roster space for Drew.

Weeks is only a slightly better offensive player than Pennington, but Cliff is a much better defender than Jemile.

I was still sorry to see Weeks go and I hope he is back for the expanded September rosters. I loved watching him run the bases. He had eight triples this year and watching Jemile leg out a triple was one of the great treats associated with following the A's.

That said, I recognize that Jemile wasn't such a good player this year and the demotion is justified.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
I don't think Weeks' demotion was as much a punishment (as it would've been for Penny) as an opportunity to find his lost swing. I think he's still in the A's long-term plans, for now at least.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Wow, the Mariners have been on a tear lately!

Could every AL West team have a winning (above .500) record this year? If so, has that ever happened before where every team in the division has a winning record?
Yep, too bad they got swept (and poured on) in Chicago.

I didn't like how that Sunday game played out (or didn't play out rather).

Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Looks like 100% of us were wrong.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,650 times
Quote:
Wow, the Mariners have been on a tear lately!

Could every AL West team have a winning (above .500) record this year? If so, has that ever happened before where every team in the division has a winning record?

Too bad the Lastros are coming over to the AL West next year. Oh well, that provides 18 free wins to every other AL West team, haha!
I wouldn't be too sure next year. Every year is a different one. As the A's have proven this year, you just never know.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
I wouldn't be too sure next year. Every year is a different one. As the A's have proven this year, you just never know.
That is true. That being said, the Astros are in full rebuild mode with much of the same roster as they have this year. I really want them to improve though to make a more exciting division race. Plus, adjusting to seeing new pitchers, new ballparks, etc. that many of these players have not seen before may be a tough hill to climb. That being said, they could also pull an Oakland A's and surprise everyone.

I honestly think the AL West will be the toughest division to play in this decade. A lot of good teams to contend with.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Quote:
That is true. That being said, the Astros are in full rebuild mode with much of the same roster as they have this year. I really want them to improve though to make a more exciting division race. Plus, adjusting to seeing new pitchers, new ballparks, etc. that many of these players have not seen before may be a tough hill to climb. That being said, they could also pull an Oakland A's and surprise everyone.

I honestly think the AL West will be the toughest division to play in this decade. A lot of good teams to contend with.
Also, teams that contend one year sometimes don't the next. That's what will make any prediction of any team fun, but also challenging. And who knows what will become of the Rangers after "The Collapse"?

But back to this year; who would have ever guessed Oakland back when we made our division and league predictions last spring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball