U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,225 posts, read 1,815,721 times
Reputation: 546

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most major college ball is pretty similar to Single A ball.

College baseball is less popular than minor league baseball because:

1) MOST of the games are in March and April when it is cold in many parts of the country. (By the way, most MINOR league teams have problems selling tickets early in the year). Also, in some schools, the school year ends long before teh end of teh season.

2) Many games are played at times that are very difficult for most to attend. The last game that I attended (Nevada vs. Cal-Irvine) was at 2 pm on a Thursday afternoon. The AAA affiliate in Reno plays at 7 pm.

3) The games are POORLY promoted. That is, drive on any Div-I campus and ask them for directions to the baseball field. You will get a weird look.

4) Minor leagues have a lot of fun activities to keep the baseball non-diehards occupied. College games have nothing but the game. Some do NOT even have decent scoreboards and the like.
1) Yep. Although SEC teams do draw really well 5000+ for many games that leaves any northern teams "out in the cold." Most teams from up north play an opening tournament or two at a southern location.

2) Scheduling does get tough. They can't go to late on Sundays and most games are early afternoon, which is just too early for some.

3) Probably because I am in the College Baseball Mecca, but around here they are very promoted. Creighton has at least a dozen billboards up and many radio adds. They also sell beer at Creighton games.

For Nebraska they have a big advertising push this season. "Welcome Back to the Ballpark" Having Darin Erstad as head coach also helps.

4) Again probably different here. Nebraska has a large playground in their stadium down the right field line. And Creighton sell's beer.

Both stadiums are also very nice and located right near restaurants and bars near campus, but not on campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,225 posts, read 1,815,721 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I do not think the level of play, the weather, or size of the stadiums matter.

I think the major reason college baseball lacks in interest and attendance is because the CWS is played when school is technically out...

Think about that. The most important part of the season is played when the student body is not there.

Because its played during the summer the current student body has no real interest. The alumni have no interest because the baseball post-season was never part of their culture either. The games are not "events". There are no tailgates and rivalries... There is no discussion at frat parties or study groups. No water cooler smack talk for alumni.

Translation no interest! Its really a complete miss on the part of college athletics.
Trouble is that it is virtually impossible to make that happen. If the CWS needed to happen during the school year it would be in mid-May, pushing college baseball opening day into January. Good Luck!

I think interest is growing though. ESPNU is showing more games than ever and the TV audiences for the CWS have been bigger and bigger every year. Omaha also had it's biggest crowd ever last year, 26,271.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Trouble is that it is virtually impossible to make that happen. If the CWS needed to happen during the school year it would be in mid-May, pushing college baseball opening day into January. Good Luck!

I think interest is growing though. ESPNU is showing more games than ever and the TV audiences for the CWS have been bigger and bigger every year. Omaha also had it's biggest crowd ever last year, 26,271.
That's still pedestrian... especially for the Championships and also considering Basketball and Baseball have more people than that for regular season games!

I wouldnt be surprised if Lacrosse and Soccer Championship crowds are larger.


I feel bad for College Baseball programs. I wonder if they are even profitable? I bet for many schools they are not. smh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,225 posts, read 1,815,721 times
Reputation: 546
Basketball does not get that for regular season games, NBA or College.

MLB baseball gets more, that is the pros though.

Soccer gets ~10K for Championships. Lacrosse gets ~34K for it's championship, about half a football stadium.

The thing is the 26K is over 100% occupancy for the stadium. They average over 20K for all 15+ games for the week and a half of the CWS.

Lecrosse is 3 games for their championship location. Soccer 3. Football one. Basketball 3.

When Lacrosse, Soccer or Basketball start supporting 20K+ attendance for 15 games in a 10 day span that argument may work for me.

Also football bowl attendance and march madness average attendance has dropped recently while CWS average attendance has increased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Basketball does not get that for regular season games, NBA or College.

MLB baseball gets more, that is the pros though.

Soccer gets ~10K for Championships. Lacrosse gets ~34K for it's championship, about half a football stadium.

The thing is the 26K is over 100% occupancy for the stadium. They average over 20K for all 15+ games for the week and a half of the CWS.

Lecrosse is 3 games for their championship location. Soccer 3. Football one. Basketball 3.

When Lacrosse, Soccer or Basketball start supporting 20K+ attendance for 15 games in a 10 day span that argument may work for me.

Also football bowl attendance and march madness average attendance has dropped recently while CWS average attendance has increased.
Averging 20K is all of a sudden an accomplishment?

I am not talking about EVERY school... And are you really going to knit pick about a few thousand when comparing regular season to the championships?

Let's break this down...

Kentucky basketball avgs over 23K during the regular season. Louisville basketball avgs over 20K during the regular season. The rest of the college basketball top 10 avg over 15K. and again that is REGULAR SEASON!!! For the NCAA tourney I am sure the numbers are much higher. In addition, the event is watched 10x more than the CWS on television.

Compare this to the top 25 MOST attended on campaus regular season games in college baseball history. NONE of whom top 15K... The top college baseball program LSU averaging 10K in attendance. And they are the ONLY school in 5 figures. The rest of the top ten go from 7K down to 4K!

Finally... since 2000 the CWS has never avg more than the 23K that Kentucky avgs during its regular season of basketball.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 04-03-2012 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,225 posts, read 1,815,721 times
Reputation: 546
College basketball is more popular than college baseball. I am "nitpicking" because you are comparing a sport that gets more media and fan attention for regular season games than the CWS does.

So yes averaging 20K is an accomplishment for a sport being compared to Single A ball by other people here.

By the way a whole 3 teams averaged over 20K for basketball, a sport immensely more popular than college baseball.

And actually the numbers are lower for the NCAA tournament. The were many reports this season saying NCAA basketball tournament attendance has been very weak the past few years. The have insanely huge crowds for the last 3 games, but many of the early rounds are not drawing well.

If you want to compare basketball and baseball attendance straight up it will never match, ever.

If you want to look at the fact that college baseball attendance has been rising while football and basketball have been stagnant or dropping over the past few years and make an informed decision that way you are more than welcome to.

I really don't care and it doesn't matter what other sports draw for their games the fact is college baseball is growing and getting more eyes. Remember this is all I said before you brought up basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Trouble is that it is virtually impossible to make that happen. If the CWS needed to happen during the school year it would be in mid-May, pushing college baseball opening day into January. Good Luck!

I think interest is growing though. ESPNU is showing more games than ever and the TV audiences for the CWS have been bigger and bigger every year. Omaha also had it's biggest crowd ever last year, 26,271.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,377,906 times
Reputation: 771
I attended a smaller school that managed to win the national title a few years back. People did go nuts over it at the time but it didn't seem to translate into increased interest afterward. It seems like the type of thing where people get excited if the team has a shot in the postseason but don't pay any attention to it prior to that. I'd agree that the timing is a big part of it, not sure if that could be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
If you want to look at the fact that college baseball attendance has been rising while football and basketball have been stagnant or dropping over the past few years and make an informed decision that way you are more than welcome to.
I only brought Basketball up as a comparison to show dismal the attendance and interest is in baseball.

Now having said that... attendance is not dropping or being stagnant in football. It's growing. So that's just false. Check the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12's attendance.

As far as baseball... Last year was great. But The peak at the CWS was in 2004 or 2005. So it's been declining as well. So to just say its growing cause they had a ONE day large crowd is "not being informed".

I'm just stating the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,225 posts, read 1,815,721 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I only brought Basketball up as a comparison to show dismal the attendance and interest is in baseball.

Now having said that... attendance is not dropping or being stagnant in football. It's growing. So that's just false. Check the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12's attendance.

As far as baseball... Last year was great. But The peak at the CWS was in 2004 or 2005. So it's been declining as well. So to just say its growing cause they had a ONE day large crowd is "not being informed".

I'm just stating the facts.
I was talking about bowl attendance for football, forgot to add that to my post my bad. Home attendance is way up, yes.

And the peak average was '04 '05, it helps to have Nebraska in the CWS . But every year since then has been 300K plus attendance.

I bet if basketball had to play their last 15 games of the tournament all in one venue in a 10 day span they wouldn't see 300K attendance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I was talking about bowl attendance for football, forgot to add that to my post my bad. Home attendance is way up, yes.

And the peak average was '04 '05, it helps to have Nebraska in the CWS . But every year since then has been 300K plus attendance.

I bet if basketball had to play their last 15 games of the tournament all in one venue in a 10 day span they wouldn't see 300K attendance.
I think basketball would still draw better... having said that, I wish college baseball was bigger. I actually like it... my original point has been lost in this back as forth over symantics. The bottom line is the schools and NCAA should figure out a way to chg the timing so the CWS is more relevant.

I think its a huge diservice for game, fans, and players! Period...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top