Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,989,113 times

Advertisements

Do you think college baseball is not as popular because it's last in line of other MLB affiliate's?

AAA
AA
A
College Ball?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,902,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Do you think college baseball is not as popular because it's last in line of other MLB affiliate's?

AAA
AA
A
College Ball?
The NCAA isn't an MLB affiliate. The aluminum bats (though they've been "deadened"), the perceived level of play, and the time of year all contribute to the general lack of popularity (with exceptions).

Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,989,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
The NCAA isn't an MLB affiliate.
Yeah duh I was saying its below even the MLB affiliates.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
There is one statistic that can be used league-wide to estimate the quality of the level of play, Total Wild Pitches and Passed Balls per game. Neither are dependent on the offsetting performance level of the other team, and the official scorer can't ignore them or call them something else.

Here is the number of PB+WP/G in several leagues:

MLB 0.89
Big Ten (NCAA) 1.74
Carolina League (AA) 2.96
Pioneer (Rookie) 4.33

If this is a valid yardstick, that would place the top tier of NCAA schools at fairly close to the level of Triple-A.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-28-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 AM

2,308 posts, read 3,902,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is one statistic that can be used league-wide to estimate the quality of the level of play, Total Wild Pitches and Passed Balls per game. Neither are dependent on the offsetting performance level of the other team, and the official scorer can't ignore them or call them something else.

MLB 0.89
Big Ten (NCAA) 1.74
Pioneer (Rookie) 4.33

If this is a valid yardstick, that would place the top tier of NCAA schools at fairly close to the level of Triple-A.
I've not seen that. Pretty cool.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,177,421 times
Watching Darin Erstad's Nebraska Cornhuskers on the Big Ten Network right now. Looks like 4K+ on hand in Lincoln for the game.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,201,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

MLB 0.89
Big Ten (NCAA) 1.74
Pioneer (Rookie) 4.33

The Carolina League is high Single A, not Double A.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 AM

852 posts, read 1,352,307 times
I also live in Omaha and consider myself a big college baseball fan. I will say that I don't pay too much attention until the regionals. I'll catch parts of games here and there and I try to check out the Nebraska vs. Creighton game each year. I usually go to three to four CWS games each year. It's probably the highlight of my summer. I've never been to a bowl game or March Madness but I can't imagine that they're any better than the CWS. It's a blast and I'm thrilled it will remain in Omaha for another 25 years.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

AAA
AA
A
College Ball?

Most major college ball is pretty similar to Single A ball.

College baseball is less popular than minor league baseball because:

1) MOST of the games are in March and April when it is cold in many parts of the country. (By the way, most MINOR league teams have problems selling tickets early in the year). Also, in some schools, the school year ends long before teh end of teh season.

2) Many games are played at times that are very difficult for most to attend. The last game that I attended (Nevada vs. Cal-Irvine) was at 2 pm on a Thursday afternoon. The AAA affiliate in Reno plays at 7 pm.

3) The games are POORLY promoted. That is, drive on any Div-I campus and ask them for directions to the baseball field. You will get a weird look.

4) Minor leagues have a lot of fun activities to keep the baseball non-diehards occupied. College games have nothing but the game. Some do NOT even have decent scoreboards and the like.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,878,564 times
I do not think the level of play, the weather, or size of the stadiums matter.

I think the major reason college baseball lacks in interest and attendance is because the CWS is played when school is technically out...

Think about that. The most important part of the season is played when the student body is not there.

Because its played during the summer the current student body has no real interest. The alumni have no interest because the baseball post-season was never part of their culture either. The games are not "events". There are no tailgates and rivalries... There is no discussion at frat parties or study groups. No water cooler smack talk for alumni.

Translation no interest! Its really a complete miss on the part of college athletics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball