U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 PM

7,843 posts, read 19,616,271 times

Advertisements

Does anyone follow or loosely follow college baseball? In Wisconsin we have one D1 baseball program the Milwaukee Panthers who play at Hank Aaron Field which holds about 200 people. Pathetic I know but that's all the demand for that mid-major baseball program. Mississippi State on the other hand has a stadium of 15,000 Dudy Noble Field, Polk-DeMent Stadium. From what I gather they fill it up quiet regularly. College baseball seems to be king in the South and Southwestern states. LSU, ASU, MIA, USC, Texas, Cal State Fullerton and Stanford are all cream of the crop when it comes to titles and appearances in the College World Series. I would like to point out that Florida State is 0-20 in the CWS and Oklahoma State is 1-19, Clemson 0-12talk about being the Buffalo Bills of college baseball. Does anyone besides parents and friends of players pay attention to college baseball? I would like to go to Omaha at least once maybe when my Canes are in the CWS again I hear it's a great experience. They do need to stop using alum bats that's one aspect of college ball I don't like. I have the MLB baseball package and I took in a game yesterday between UC Irvine vs. Southern U and it was some good ball. I am surprised college baseball isn't bigger around the country.

CWS Titles:

USC 12
LSU 6
Texas 6
ASU 5
The U 4
Cal-Ful 4
Minn 3
Arizona 3
Stanford 2
Oklahoma 2
South Carolina 2
Michigan 2
Oregon St 2
Cal 2

Miss State:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,820,683 times
Considering I live in Omaha, yes I am a huge College Baseball fan.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,713,376 times
College baseball is popular in the South and Southwest because it is comfortable to sit outside in March in those areas.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,455,078 times
We only have an NAIA team here, now in its fifth season, there is pretty good fan support. A couple of hundred per game, at $5-10 for tickets. Season is now well under way, now 3-4. We also have a team in a collegiate wood-bat summer league, so we have about 60 home dates per year, between the two college-level teams. Collegiate-league games draw about twice as many fans, with beer and lots of goofy promotions.

I can't remember ever seeing a student at a college game, it's all just the general population that attends the games, which are played at an off-campus municipal field.

When I lived in a community college town in Florida, the average attendance at the free-admission games was about ten, mostly girl friends of the players. But there were no lights, so spectators sat in the Florida sun for day games. It was an easy walk from my house, so I went pretty often.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:35 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,744,144 times
Here in Johnson City, TN, East Tennessee State opened the season this weekend against Eastern Kentucky and were fortunate to have temps in the 50's Friday and Saturday. Admission was free. The Buccaneers have a nice new baseball facility and negotiations are ongoing for the Appalachian League's Cardinal farm team to start using it. The Cardinals' present facility is old and rundown and in need of expensive updates, and attendance in recent years has been disappointing, despite the Cardinals' recent championship seasons.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,167,632 times
I don't have much interest in college baseball; I'm much more interested in affiliated minor league baseball and wooden bat summer collegiate league baseball. (Yeah, I know those summer wooden bat leagues have college players, but having the players use wooden bats and also having the leagues receive some financial support from MLB makes a big difference in my mind, even if the difference isn't all that significant in reality.)

Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,162,633 times
The majority of college baseball stadiums in even the big six conferences are very small, not very nice-looking, or both. As someone already said, the southern half of the US tends to dominate the scene. Here are the top 44 2011 attendance totals:

2011 Division 1 College Baseball Attendance Report

That said, there are some good atmospheres at games, especially with a lot of those listed in the link. I follow Texas Tech, which has drawn festive crowds over the years in spite of not having a Big 12-caliber stadium, in terms of looks. (It was renovated this past off-season, so now it's much better.)

Last edited by shoe01; 02-23-2012 at 04:27 AM..

Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,455,078 times
One amazing figure in those attendance counts. Ole Miss drew an average of over 8,000 fans per game. But there are only 16,000 students enrolled at Ole Miss, and the census population of the city of Oxford is only 14,000. That means that on game days, about one-third of all the people in Oxford were in the stands.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM

16,536 posts, read 21,026,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Considering I live in Omaha, yes I am a huge College Baseball fan.
Myself as well. As iamjacobm has the college World Series, in my area I have the junior college world series. It has been based in Grand Junction, Colorado since 1959 and is well supported by the locals. Another part of the JUCO events is the JUCO banquet. A lot of major league stars have been guest speakers over the years, among them Tommy Lasorda, Joe Garagiola, Pee Wee Reese, George Brett, Duke Snider, and Willie Mays.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,990,627 times
I have had some fun watching college baseball. Here in the Merry old ancient land of FLorida we host college tournaments throughout February and March. Many schools come to play as most of the time (though not this year), their home fields are under snow this time, and playing in Florida gets them a week or two of action. We have watched some good games and although I may not follow it all the way through the world series, I at least get to go out and see if there is any major league talent waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or