U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM

41,344 posts, read 18,662,366 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles Angels' Albert Pujols objects to team's 'El Hombre' billboards - ESPN Los Angeles

Quote:
TEMPE, Ariz. -- To the surprise of no one, the Los Angeles Angels have built their marketing efforts around newly acquired slugger Albert Pujols.

The Angels have 20 "El Hombre" billboards around Southern California.
But one segment of that campaign has run afoul of the player's wishes. The Angels have 20 billboards around Southern California with Pujols pictured in an Angels uniform alongside the Spanish words "El Hombre."

Pujols has asked not to be called that in deference to St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Famer Stan Musial, who was referred to as Stan "The Man" during most of his 22-year career.

The Angels said they did not consult Pujols or his agent before launching the campaign. It was planned shortly after the Angels signed the first baseman to a 10-year, $250 million contract in December.
When I first saw the headline, my thought was that Pujols was objecting to the billboard on the basis of not wanting to be placed above his new teammates before he has swung a bat in a game for his new club. I hadn't thought of the Musial angle, but I suppose one of those motivations is as noble as another.

My larger view is that the billboards are just more eyesore clutter for the drivers of Southern California, marketing uber alles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,592,904 times
That's funny--that the Angels couldn't even be bothered to consult with Pujols. And now they've upset him. The man they're building their franchise around, and they managed to create a bad feeling with him even before the season starts. The players wearing Angel uniforms may be major leaguers, but the front office certainly isn't.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,744,576 times
Perhaps the Angels' marketing rights are buried somewhere in the contract, but neither Pujols nor Dan Lozano noticed because they were too busy counting the zeroes.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,088,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's funny--that the Angels couldn't even be bothered to consult with Pujols. And now they've upset him. The man they're building their franchise around, and they managed to create a bad feeling with him even before the season starts. The players wearing Angel uniforms may be major leaguers, but the front office certainly isn't.
How much does pujos have to get paid to be considered with angels first former cardinals later. I guess what he his getting paid isnt enough.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,465,024 times
Five days before Pujols was signed, the Angels traded away Jeff Mathis, in order to vacate Uniform Number 5 for Albert. I guess they knew what as coming. I can't imagine Mathis giving up his Uni for Pujols, and they wanted to avoid bad blood in the clubhouse. Pujols 2012 salary will be 7 times the 2011 salary of Mathis, who has a lifetime BA below .200 in over 400 MLB games.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 AM

41,344 posts, read 18,662,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mathis, who has a lifetime BA below .200 in over 400 MLB games.
Isn't that a good enough reason to get rid of the guy regardless of the Pujols situation?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,465,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Isn't that a good enough reason to get rid of the guy regardless of the Pujols situation?
But he was a steal, at only $1.7 million a year salary.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Los Angeles Angels' Albert Pujols objects to team's 'El Hombre' billboards - ESPN Los Angeles

When I first saw the headline, my thought was that Pujols was objecting to the billboard on the basis of not wanting to be placed above his new teammates before he has swung a bat in a game for his new club. I hadn't thought of the Musial angle, but I suppose one of those motivations is as noble as another.
I read an article in Sports illustrated about Musial a year or so ago. It said Pujols got the El Hombre nickname and at first didn't object. But after getting to meet Musial, he was filled with respect for him and did feel worthy of such a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Five days before Pujols was signed, the Angels traded away Jeff Mathis, in order to vacate Uniform Number 5 for Albert. I guess they knew what as coming. I can't imagine Mathis giving up his Uni for Pujols, and they wanted to avoid bad blood in the clubhouse. Pujols 2012 salary will be 7 times the 2011 salary of Mathis, who has a lifetime BA below .200 in over 400 MLB games.
Lesser players give up their number for big stars all the time. Often they pick up a nice chunk of change for doing so.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,889,246 times
John Kruk gave Mitch Williams a case of beer for his number.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,592,904 times
I can't quite put my finger on the reasons why, but somehow I think that the situation with Pujols has nothing to do with his uniform number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball