Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

Okay so I don't think Baseball is boring and never thought baseball is boring but yet I still meet a lot of people that say baseball is too boring to watch. Is baseball really boring and are we just lying to ourselves to save face? NO! I love baseball, I love baseball more than any other sport. I could watch a baseball game everyday for the rest of my life. I realize that people today need action every 2.3 seconds just to hold their attention. Maybe I love baseball and other people like it for this reason of growing up in the game. I played baseball from Tee Ball up until college and played rec. league baseball once in college. I have two uncles that are umpires and I found myself going to games they umpired to see how they call a game.

Is baseball "A Thinking Man's Game" or is it an old man's game? I don't like watching Tennis but I can still see how someone would enjoy it. Baseball is about "The Numbers" and the history and the little quirks the game has more than any other sport aka "inside baseball". People love to score baseball, I don't know of any other sport where people actually enjoy scoring a game.

I find myself fascinated with the game of baseball, their is so much to learn. Even at the age of 28 I still feel like their is a whole world of baseball to learn. So why do people not like baseball or think it's boring? Do you have to grow up in a city that always had a baseball team to enjoy it?

Is Baseball too complicated and over the head of many fans b/c it is a complex game? I guarantee you that a woman who watches baseball is smarter than a women who watched football.

If you compare action between football and baseball they are basically the same. The time in between a hike and a pitch is the same and if Ben Sheets is pitching you don't even have time to wipe your nose.

So why do people say baseball is boring? I just don't see it and I think they are NUTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 01:43 PM

So I found this article and it just proves that the average baseball fan is smarter than the average non-baseball fan.

8 Reasons Baseball is Lame and Boring - The Bigger Picture - Your Life - MSN Lifestyle (http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/bigger-picture/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8415498 - broken link)

Then I found this

10 reasons baseball is better than football | SportsJustice | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I admit it's a tough argument to say Baseball is better than football but I still think it is. I am also the guy that tells you that every game is a must win and every game of the 162 game season counts, just ask Met's fans or Brewers fans about the 2008 season where we needed the Marlins to beat the Mets at Met's stadium and a Brewers win for the Brewers to go to the playoffs for the first time in 26 years! I would like to thank Wes Helms for that late inning home run to beat the Mets!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I like the quote: "Baseball is dull only to dull minds."

The only reason people think baseball is boring is because we live in this instant gratification ADHD society where people have some need to constantly see agression and physical contact. That's why football has gained a lot of popularity and why crap like MMA has gotten big (while traditional boxing has become almost unheard of). Baseball is more of a thinking man's game and these days, just by watching the news and seeing what passes as entertainment on TV these days, it doesn't suprise me that a great game like baseball isn't as popular as it used to be.

But its really not losing popularity as much as you'd think...a lot of ballparks are packed to capacity every night. The Phillies have been selling standing-room-only tickets to most of their games.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:54 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
I love baseball. It's kind of like a cops daily routine: 90% boring, 10% sheer excitement. That 10% I love, it makes my day.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But its really not losing popularity as much as you'd think...a lot of ballparks are packed to capacity every night. The Phillies have been selling standing-room-only tickets to most of their games.
I know, I am glad that baseball is more popular than ever and I would like to thank the greatest sport commissioner ever and best baseball commissioner Bud Selig but that is for another topic. I see so many fair-weather fans now than ever and I remember when Milwaukee was drawing 2,000 and you could sit anywhere in the stadium and now it's the place to be and we are drawing 3 million plus. I just hope they turn into smart or true baseball fans.

I also would like to tip my cap to MLB.com and MLB Network for being the best sports website and best sports network. NFL.com sucks but not as bad as NBA.com and the NFL Network well that's a joke by itself.

Why Baseball Is the Greatest Sport on Earth - The Bigger Picture - Your Life - MSN Lifestyle (http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/bigger-picture/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8415497 - broken link)

Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Americans love sports that involve force.
If the rules of baseball could be changed...let the fielders tackle the runners.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans love sports that involve force.
If the rules of baseball could be changed...let the fielders tackle the runners.
What about George Carlin's idea?

If the pitcher hits the batter with the ball (plonk) batter's out. You get two good pitchers in there and the game can be over in half an hour.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
What about George Carlin's idea?

If the pitcher hits the batter with the ball (plonk) batter's out. You get two good pitchers in there and the game can be over in half an hour.
Carlin may have read up on baseball's early history, when the game was considerably more of a contact sport than it is today! Baserunners were out when they were physically smashed with the ball by the opposing fielders. Fans weren't known as fans--they were called "cranks," which gives you an idea about the way they behaved. And of course the spitball was a legal pitch; pitchers could "load up" with practically anything!

As to the question of boring, not a chance. Baseball involves more strategy and subtlety than lots of other sports. The problem is that the television screen, which cannot capture the entire field in motion, reduces the game to a contest between pitcher and batter. If you want to appreciate baseball, you have to go to the ballpark and watch it in person. So the culprit isn't the game, but TV. And a generation of people who have to have everything handed to them with all the t's crossed and i's dotted doesn't help.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Carlin may have read up on baseball's early history, when the game was considerably more of a contact sport than it is today! Baserunners were out when they were physically smashed with the ball by the opposing fielders. Fans weren't known as fans--they were called "cranks," which gives you an idea about the way they behaved. And of course the spitball was a legal pitch; pitchers could "load up" with practically anything!

As to the question of boring, not a chance. Baseball involves more strategy and subtlety than lots of other sports. The problem is that the television screen, which cannot capture the entire field in motion, reduces the game to a contest between pitcher and batter. If you want to appreciate baseball, you have to go to the ballpark and watch it in person. So the culprit isn't the game, but TV. And a generation of people who have to have everything handed to them with all the t's crossed and i's dotted doesn't help.
These are the things that make a very good radio guy such a pleasure to listen to, and unfortunately there aren't many truly great ones left. I've listened to Vin Scully call games in ways that not only could I see the whole field and everything else of note in the park, but I also felt like maybe I should grab my glove in case a foul ball came my way. And a lot of those times he called the whole thing by himself!

Here's to the guys who have made it possible for so many lucky fans to watch baseball on their radios. It's an art-form that isn't nearly what it used to be. There was even a fun song about that called "Play By Play (I Saw it on the Radio)" by Terry Cashman. There's a youtube link for it, but it doesn't seem to be working right now.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 PM

^ Good Point! Baseball is a sport where a ton of people listen to games on the radio vs only watching it on TV. When was the last time anyone listened to a football game on the radio. Also their is a whole culture of people who love to watch a baseball game on mute and listen to their favorite radio personality such Harry Carey or Bob Uecker. Although I fear digital TV and Satellite will ruin this aspect of the game.

Their is something to be said about grilling out on a Saturday while you listen to the ball game in the backyard or sitting on a boat somewhere listening to the game.

YouTube - Letterman - Artie Lange and the Cough Button

YouTube - Letterman - Norm MacDonald's Bob Uecker Story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball