U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 PM

41,367 posts, read 18,667,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
i chuckle in disgust because back in the 1990's all this nonsense could've been avoided had they simply said the wild card gets 0 home games in the LDS and only 1 home game in the LCS. then if the WC makes it to the WS, then they are given no penalties (that's the reward - respect, baby). this idea (mine) is also good for each franchise because then the ballpark and each franchise have extra incentive to get as many home games in the playoffs as possible (to sell beer, hot dogs etc etc)

oh well! now it's convoluted! (disgusted laughter)

seeds! buahahahah puke
Do you wish to see the above applied to a wild card team which wins 95 games but has the misfortune to be in a tough division won by a team with 99 wins, while at the same time, the winner of another division did so with just 87 wins?

Your system imposes penalties on the wild card team regardless of the actual merit of the team during the regular season. Is this a penalty for being in the wrong division?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,474,678 times
Divisional play by itself imposes penalties, which cannot be counterbalanced by any finagling with the playoffs.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:24 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,843,117 times
Grandstander so that i dont give a knee jrk answer, let me ponder what you wrote

Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,832,235 times
Pondering this is good.

I, for one, believe that the world would be a much better place if people did more pondering and less knee jerking

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,090,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

2) Assuming all you say above is true, the problem remains that a three game series doesn't change any of it in terms of fairness. Slumps, hot streaks etc, are no more or less likely to determine the outcome of a three game series than they are a one game playoff.
Yes it does change all of it with regard to playoffs. As the playoffs series get longer you are more likely to get the same results as you would if you played a large amount of games over a long period of time, the better team winning. So luck obviously plays much less of a role in a 3 games series then it does in a 3 game series.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,744,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Pondering this is good.

I, for one, believe that the world would be a much better place if people did more pondering and less knee jerking
With the possible exception of physical therapists.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Yes it does change all of it with regard to playoffs. As the playoffs series get longer you are more likely to get the same results as you would if you played a large amount of games over a long period of time, the better team winning. So luck obviously plays much less of a role in a 3 games series then it does in a 3 game series.
I'm guessing you meant "one game" there at the end.

Assuming that is a correct guess, how can you assert such a thing after I have walked you through the actual odds in play? Did you miss the numbers? The whole point was that you do almost nothing to alter the luck factor by playing three games rather than one game.

Recall..it required a 13 game series for a 100 game winning team to have a full game advantage over a team which won 88 games...and that is still the 100 game winner prevailing seven games to six, not blowing the 88 win team out of the water.

When we are speaking of a wild card playoff, it would require some extremely weird circumstances for a 100 game winning team to be facing an 88 win team, it is much more likley to be a pair of teams with 87-92 wins going against one another, and in such a case, it would require probably a 35 game series for the one with more wins to gain a full game advantage.

The post season really is a crap shoot. The last two seasons, Philadelphia has been the top regular season winner, 97 wins in '10 and 102 wins in '11. The Worlds series winners were the 92 game wiining Giants and the 90 game winning Cardinals.

As I have noted, a three game series would radiate the appearance of being more fair to the better team, but it is only appearance.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,843,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Pondering this is good.

lool

to grandstander: i guess my response would be: look at mlb's structure before the wild card came into existence.

if a team didn't win 1 of the 4 divisions, they didn't get to go to the playoffs- end of story. so if you regard my idea (which will never be implemented anyway) as unfair, what would you call the old structure? downright cruel? alot of people liked it. i bet the biggest proponents of the wild card back in the early 1990s were semi-predictable 2nd banana teams like the bosox. and the whole expanded playoff discussion that's happening now is simply another way for 2nd banana teams to have a safety net so they can backdoor their way into the playoffs. it's sort of disgusting.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post

to grandstander: i guess my response would be: look at mlb's structure before the wild card came into existence.

if a team didn't win 1 of the 4 divisions, they didn't get to go to the playoffs- end of story. so if you regard my idea (which will never be implemented anyway) as unfair, what would you call the old structure? downright cruel? alot of people liked it. i bet the biggest proponents of the wild card back in the early 1990s were semi-predictable 2nd banana teams like the bosox. and the whole expanded playoff discussion that's happening now is simply another way for 2nd banana teams to have a safety net so they can backdoor their way into the playoffs. it's sort of disgusting.
Very well, but in what manner did your proposed solution address the fairness issue? You have shifted the unfairness, but not eliminated it.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,474,678 times
I think we ought to go back to 1981 style, and have the commissioner (then Bowie Kuhn) announce at midseason which teams are going to be in the playoffs, no matter what. Especially if the Yankees and Dodgers are two of the teams so anointed. And then disqualify the two overall division leaders in the NL from getting in the post season at all, which is OK because they were in the media backwaters of St. Louis and Cincinnati. The Reds won more games than any other team in all of baseball, and were not invited to the playoffs. The Yankees and Dodgers were, even though they played exactly .500 ball after Kuhn gave them a pass and guaranteed them their place in the post season.

The most shameful day in the history of baseball.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-20-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball