Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,823,091 times

Advertisements

I hate it. (You knew I'd say that, didn't you?)

Let's say of the top five teams, their final win totals are:
A = 104 (Division X title)
B = 101 (in Division X)
C = 98 (Division Y title)
D = 87 (Division Z title)
E = 92 ( in Division Y)

In the post season E plays one game against B and beats them, and after a single game, B, the second best team in the league, is eliminated. And then you wind up with D and E in the LCS.

Jeez, if you're going to do that, have four wild card teams, and take two days to eliminate three of them. Or eight wild card teams, there is plenty of time before it snows to play three days and eliminate seven of them. At least, the successful wildcard would have to prove itself by winning three straight. Which is better than qualifying by winning a one-game series.

There should never, ever be a one-game series, except to break an actual tie with identical records.

Nice going, Bud, you moron.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-04-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,117,582 times
I think if they are going to do this, let it be more like the NFL and give the best teams in each league a bye week and let there be a best of 5 still for the first round not just a 1 game playoff for the wildcard teams.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,470,206 times
I hate the idea of a one game series as well. Obviously it will be exciting but hardly seems proper for true competition. Heck, The variance in a 5 game series is too high for me. I think this format will change within 3-5 years...

Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,836,483 times
I hate it, 162 is enough to get to 4, 163 isnt required

Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 PM

8,282 posts, read 23,061,343 times
I think they way it is now is perfect however I wish the divisional series was a 7 game series instead of 5.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I think they way it is now is perfect however I wish the divisional series was a 7 game series instead of 5.
They could play longer series if they would get rid of the stupid "travel days". Hey, Bud, have you ever heard of the Aeroplane? If there's going to be a lengthy travel, play a day game before traveling. Oh, God, No, the networks who own MLB would never allow that.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,052,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They could play longer series if they would get rid of the stupid "travel days". Hey, Bud, have you ever heard of the Aeroplane? If there's going to be a lengthy travel, play a day game before traveling. Oh, God, No, the networks who own MLB would never allow that.
You're not back with this well ground axe, are you? The start times for televised games are geared to maximize the size of the audience. Why is that such an unreasonable thing in your mind? What criteria should be employed? Start times based on the fact that there were day games when jtur was younger and he is feeling all nostalgic about it? God is a fan and intended for games to be played in daylight? Baseball is too adult for the kiddies so games should be played while they are in school and can't watch?

What?

Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 PM

6,402 posts, read 8,961,227 times
Bud is a dud.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,917,031 times
One stinking game to determine who moves on in the playoffs? Football - yes. Baseball - not such a sound idea. But I guess we'll have to live with it until the next tweak. If a team is worthy of making the playoffs, at least give them a chance to compete in an actual series. Obviously, I ain't too crazy about this new introduction either... Use a bye. Use a shorter season. Use your imagination, MLB.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You're not back with this well ground axe, are you? The start times for televised games are geared to maximize the size of the audience. Why is that such an unreasonable thing in your mind? What criteria should be employed? Start times based on the fact that there were day games when jtur was younger and he is feeling all nostalgic about it? God is a fan and intended for games to be played in daylight? Baseball is too adult for the kiddies so games should be played while they are in school and can't watch?

What?
I said ONE game could be played in the daytime, to enable the post season to accomplish 19 games in less than 29 days. Which doesn't strike me as an insurmountable task, since they find a way to do it in 20 days in the regular season. And they do it by playing occasionally in the afternoons of getaway day.

But now that you have raised another issue, they start EVERY Worlds Series game (every one, no compromises) to accommodate the crybabies in California who don't want to miss the national anthem, at the expense of school kids in the east who have to go to bed on school nights in the fifth inning.

If you want to raise the question of whether God ordains the start times of MLB games (trumping TV networks), there is a Religion Forum on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball