Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM

371 posts, read 815,681 times

Advertisements

Is the designated hitter coming to a National League*park near you? - Tom Verducci - SI.com

I don't like it one bit..., but I can see the logic now that there will be vastly more inter-league play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
So "vastly more interleague play" is a plot to force the NL to adopt the DH?

There is no reason for a significant increase in interlegue games. There has to be one IL game every day. That's 162, which seems like plenty to me. Currently, they play a total of 250. There has to be an odd number of IL games every day, so they can reduce it to 162 or raise it to almost 500, the latter being the most probable. If you want to keep at 250, just schedule another week into the mid season when everyone plays interleague.

Unless it's random (which it's not), IL play seriously throws the schedule out of balance. The Mets have to play the Yankees every year, while the Cardinals are playing the Royals. Serious advantage to the Cardinals if they and the Mets turn out to be fighting for a wild card spot.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-07-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Ugh!

Hate the DH

Double switch, what is that...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Double switch, what is that...
Baseball's most exciting move?

This seems largely to be an emotional preference issue, one where some like the rule and others don't and all rational argument is actually just advocacy for that emotional preference. I'm fine with the DH, but I'm not going to waste time trying to persuade the ones who aren't fine with it, that they should be.

However, I would like to say that one of the more annoying aspects of the debate, whenever it erupts, is the anti DH folks claiming that it is bad because it eleiminate the strategy of the double switch.

Like anyone ever comes to the park saying "Wow, maybe we'll get to see Dusty Baker make a double switch today!" Nor can i understand why anyone thinks this is something special, I mean, who can't figure out when it needs to be done and how to do it?

If anyone actually gave a ding diddly do damn about the double switch, we would be having debates over which managers were the best at doing it, which were the best double switches ever made, what was the most clutch double switch ever...like that.

Anyone ever been in, or even heard such a discussion?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM

The double switch wasn't even invented until long after the DH rule was created, probably in the 80's. Sure, there were a few managers who did it on the spur of the moment if it presented itself in a game situation, but it was never somethng that they thought in advance about or used as routine strategy. Before that, they just pinch hit for the pitcher.

Just pinch hitting is probably a better strategy, because you don't have to take any regulars out of the game to PH and you still have bench players batting in either case. If you double switch three times, you've got three starters on the bench, and three subs now stuck in the lineup for the rest of the game. Which, if your double switching bears fruit and tie the score, might be quite a few innings when one run would have won it.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Baseball's most exciting move?

This seems largely to be an emotional preference issue, one where some like the rule and others don't and all rational argument is actually just advocacy for that emotional preference. I'm fine with the DH, but I'm not going to waste time trying to persuade the ones who aren't fine with it, that they should be.

However, I would like to say that one of the more annoying aspects of the debate, whenever it erupts, is the anti DH folks claiming that it is bad because it eleiminate the strategy of the double switch.

Like anyone ever comes to the park saying "Wow, maybe we'll get to see Dusty Baker make a double switch today!" Nor can i understand why anyone thinks this is something special, I mean, who can't figure out when it needs to be done and how to do it?

If anyone actually gave a ding diddly do damn about the double switch, we would be having debates over which managers were the best at doing it, which were the best double switches ever made, what was the most clutch double switch ever...like that.

Anyone ever been in, or even heard such a discussion?
One thing the lack of the DH does IMHO is create the need to be more strategic and planful. The double switch is but one aspect; but like the notion of your question

I will tell you the answer will not be Charlie Manuel

LaRossa made moves last to the point of craziness or was it a world series, not sure....

One thing though is the DH and lack there creates signifcant differences in the WS. Most NL teams dont carry a true DH and most pitchers in the AL get few ABs prior to the WS. Overall I say advantage AL but that also could be debated.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
You notice that whenever a discussion about the DH ensues, it's always that the National League should (or will be, depending on who's pontificating) adopt it. Never that the American League should abandon it.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You notice that whenever a discussion about the DH ensues, it's always that the National League should (or will be, depending on who's pontificating) adopt it. Never that the American League should abandon it.
Going back to something that preceded a change is off the table. It just doesn't happen. It's like a 154-game season with no interleague nor wildcard nor luxury boxes nor NBA-sized pitchers nor batting gloves nor high fives nor one-handed catches nor interviews with the manager in the fourth inning. Simply never go back. Doesn't happen.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So "vastly more interleague play" is a plot to force the NL to adopt the DH?

There is no reason for a significant increase in interlegue games. There has to be one IL game every day. That's 162, which seems like plenty to me. Currently, they play a total of 250. There has to be an odd number of IL games every day, so they can reduce it to 162 or raise it to almost 500, the latter being the most probable. If you want to keep at 250, just schedule another week into the mid season when everyone plays interleague.

Unless it's random (which it's not), IL play seriously throws the schedule out of balance. The Mets have to play the Yankees every year, while the Cardinals are playing the Royals. Serious advantage to the Cardinals if they and the Mets turn out to be fighting for a wild card spot.
I agree about the out of balance schedules. It's also not fair how the Dodgers have to play the Angels EVERY YEAR 6 TIMES! While the Giants play Oakland.

I would love to see them adapt an NFL system for playing outside there league/conference. I love knowing that the Dolphins will play the NFC East every 4 years. So if they are due to play in NY I can start thinking about making a trip up to Jersey for a game a couple years in advance. Same would apply to the Orioles. If I knew the Dodger would play in Baltimore every 6 years or less I could plan some vacations well in advance but it's so non traditional.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Going back to something that preceded a change is off the table. It just doesn't happen. It's like a 154-game season with no interleague nor wildcard nor luxury boxes nor NBA-sized pitchers nor batting gloves nor high fives nor one-handed catches nor interviews with the manager in the fourth inning. Simply never go back. Doesn't happen.
What about uniforms? After the '70's experiment with shorts, day-glow colors, open collars, and those god awful bannana suits the Pirates wore, MLB teams decided to junk all of that and return to the old classic look.

Some of the things you listed above....huh? "NBA sized pitchers?' Like that has been some aesthetic choice rather than the fact that people in general are taller than they were 50 years ago. I don't think anyone who can retire batters effectly would be barred from playing on the basis of height. Tim Lincecum isn't any taller than Ron Guidry was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball