U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What is strange is that even Braves mania isn't as big as it used to be. This year I knew a few people who skipped school to see opening day. Other than that, college football seems to be very popular here. I personally couldn't care less.
could that be because they don't have the same quality team they had for so many years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 9 days ago)
 
48,051 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Reputation: 15324
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
could that be because they don't have the same quality team they had for so many years?
I never rooted for the Braves period, and I have lived in the metro Atlanta area since 1996. I never really cared at all. I have basically stuck with the Mariners for years(and they're the only AL team to never go to the World Series).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,564,734 times
Reputation: 4430
I do think baseball is becoming more despised but also more popular than it's ever been. In today's age when pawn stars and the voice and housewives of 26 american cities is great tv and draws huge ratings I am afraid America is turning into a Jerry springer amusement crowd. Baseball to many people is too complex and boring and there is not non-stop action every 1.3 seconds and there isn't woman grabbing other woman's hair in the stands and we don't get to find out who the father is by the end of the 9th inning. People don't have patience anymore and baseball is seen more as an old man's game it's not cool in some eyes. The boring argument is the most common argument I get, however a pitch is thrown in more frequency than a quarterback says hike. Baseball allows for conversation and strategy to develop but people want the excitement of wrestling in every sport even if it is fake.

Some people can't understand baseball and aren't willing to and a lot of people today didn't grow up with baseball dads where baseball was your fathers favorite game and by default became yours and became memories of growing up with your father. I still remember walking through the tunnel at County stadium at my first baseball game ever, Brewers V Twins back around 1987/88. I ran so fast up to the tunnel and right up to the fence and looked at grass that seemed to be glowing. It was so cool to see that massive field as a kid and hear CCR playing in the background. So many kids today go to the ballpark and could care less about the grass or the game. Understanding baseball and learning about baseball takes a lot of work more so than other sports and kids and adults today just don't want to put in the effort that watching a baseball game requires.

Baseball is a thinking mans game a smart mans game. Just like how some people will never score a game of baseball some will never see the joy of a baseball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 9 days ago)
 
48,051 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Reputation: 15324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I do think baseball is becoming more despised but also more popular than it's ever been. In today's age when pawn stars and the voice and housewives of 26 american cities is great tv and draws huge ratings I am afraid America is turning into a Jerry springer amusement crowd. Baseball to many people is too complex and boring and there is not non-stop action every 1.3 seconds and there isn't woman grabbing other woman's hair in the stands and we don't get to find out who the father is by the end of the 9th inning. People don't have patience anymore and baseball is seen more as an old man's game it's not cool in some eyes. The boring argument is the most common argument I get, however a pitch is thrown in more frequency than a quarterback says hike. Baseball allows for conversation and strategy to develop but people want the excitement of wrestling in every sport even if it is fake.

Some people can't understand baseball and aren't willing to and a lot of people today didn't grow up with baseball dads where baseball was your fathers favorite game and by default became yours and became memories of growing up with your father. I still remember walking through the tunnel at County stadium at my first baseball game ever, Brewers V Twins back around 1987/88. I ran so fast up to the tunnel and right up to the fence and looked at grass that seemed to be glowing. It was so cool to see that massive field as a kid and hear CCR playing in the background. So many kids today go to the ballpark and could care less about the grass or the game. Understanding baseball and learning about baseball takes a lot of work more so than other sports and kids and adults today just don't want to put in the effort that watching a baseball game requires.

Baseball is a thinking mans game a smart mans game. Just like how some people will never score a game of baseball some will never see the joy of a baseball game.
In short, our society has become more about cheap thrills and mindless entertainment.

I have been to a few games in my life. The first game I remember going to was at the Kingdome to see the Mariners play. I was 5 years old. I remember little details, such as how it felt like to enter the Kingdome. I thought I was going to the mall, because that's what it felt like. When I got to my seat, it felt a bit like a movie theater. And I went to the game with my father. At my parents house, there is still a 1991 pocket schedule for the Seattle Mariners, and an old Mariners banner somewhere. I was just happy to be at the game and enjoying the game. I wasn't worried about where I was going or anything.

When I got an idea of how baseball worked and learned the game, it was more fun to watch. In order to watch the game, I learned how to enjoy the details of the game. The specific wind ups of each pitcher, from Randy Johnson, to Dennis Martinez, to Dennis Eckersley, to Hideo Nomo. Watching every pitch and its movement, the plays, watching Ken Griffey Jr(among other outfielders) jump up the outfield walls like Spiderman, watching double plays. And then the home runs, the runners jetting around the base pads.

So in a big way, I understand what you mean when you mention your first time going to ball games. I can appreciate such a feeling because I remember going to my first game.


All of this mentioned, it feels like society has become more about cheap thrills and petty laughs. Many people seem to not want to think anymore. Evidence of cheap thrills is the fact that I have heard so many people talk about Jersey Shore and some other reality shows I don't care for. I went to a Halloween party and I didn't recognize someone's costume. The costume was Snooki. I didn't know who Snooki was. Didn't really care either. It probably makes sense that things like baseball aren't as appreciated as much as other things. I've seen a few episodes of Jerry Springer, and some of this reminds of people I actually knew in high school.

And stuff like Pawn Stars makes me wonder what the History Channel is coming to. I don't have cable anymore. One of the reasons I struggle with whether or not to get cable is because cable subscriptions seem to be getting more expensive and the quality of television shows, in my opinion, are not of as good of quality as when I remember back in the 90's and even the early 2000s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short, our society has become more about cheap thrills and mindless entertainment.

I have been to a few games in my life. The first game I remember going to was at the Kingdome to see the Mariners play. I was 5 years old. I remember little details, such as how it felt like to enter the Kingdome. I thought I was going to the mall, because that's what it felt like. When I got to my seat, it felt a bit like a movie theater. And I went to the game with my father. At my parents house, there is still a 1991 pocket schedule for the Seattle Mariners, and an old Mariners banner somewhere. I was just happy to be at the game and enjoying the game. I wasn't worried about where I was going or anything.

When I got an idea of how baseball worked and learned the game, it was more fun to watch. In order to watch the game, I learned how to enjoy the details of the game. The specific wind ups of each pitcher, from Randy Johnson, to Dennis Martinez, to Dennis Eckersley, to Hideo Nomo. Watching every pitch and its movement, the plays, watching Ken Griffey Jr(among other outfielders) jump up the outfield walls like Spiderman, watching double plays. And then the home runs, the runners jetting around the base pads.

So in a big way, I understand what you mean when you mention your first time going to ball games. I can appreciate such a feeling because I remember going to my first game.


All of this mentioned, it feels like society has become more about cheap thrills and petty laughs. Many people seem to not want to think anymore. Evidence of cheap thrills is the fact that I have heard so many people talk about Jersey Shore and some other reality shows I don't care for. I went to a Halloween party and I didn't recognize someone's costume. The costume was Snooki. I didn't know who Snooki was. Didn't really care either. It probably makes sense that things like baseball aren't as appreciated as much as other things. I've seen a few episodes of Jerry Springer, and some of this reminds of people I actually knew in high school.

And stuff like Pawn Stars makes me wonder what the History Channel is coming to. I don't have cable anymore. One of the reasons I struggle with whether or not to get cable is because cable subscriptions seem to be getting more expensive and the quality of television shows, in my opinion, are not of as good of quality as when I remember back in the 90's and even the early 2000s.
I think we are getting off subject, going from baseball to cable TV and the expense or qualtiy of TV, but you are right. We just read an article in our newspaper about this yesterday. We have sat instead of cable and our bill goes up every 6 months it seems. Mostly we watch sports and politics. We only have 3 or 4 regular, weekly programs we watch..So we have supposidly 200 plus channels and we watch a 1/2 dozen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 9 days ago)
 
48,051 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Reputation: 15324
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we are getting off subject, going from baseball to cable TV and the expense or qualtiy of TV, but you are right. We just read an article in our newspaper about this yesterday. We have sat instead of cable and our bill goes up every 6 months it seems. Mostly we watch sports and politics. We only have 3 or 4 regular, weekly programs we watch..So we have supposidly 200 plus channels and we watch a 1/2 dozen.
Mentioning the cable channels and the change in TV programs was my way of relating the changes in our society. What I'm trying to say is that some of the reason baseball is less popular is also related to why stuff like Jerry Springer, Pawn Stars, and the like are becoming more popular. The changes in society, more about instant gratification, cheap thrills, and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,879,405 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Mentioning the cable channels and the change in TV programs was my way of relating the changes in our society. What I'm trying to say is that some of the reason baseball is less popular is also related to why stuff like Jerry Springer, Pawn Stars, and the like are becoming more popular. The changes in society, more about instant gratification, cheap thrills, and the like.
But is the fundamental premise that "baseball is less popular" actually true? Is attendance now as opposed to say 30 years ago significantly down, even as the fan has cable, satellite, and online options for watching games they never had 30 years ago?

I don't subscribe to the theory that baseball is less popular, but if it is, how are we measuring? Attendance at the ballpark doesn't necessarily portray a true picture, given the new media that I mentioned that weren't around previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I
Here in Atlanta where I live now (originally from the northeast), college football is all people care about, and pro sports in general are ignored. Even though the Braves are in the thick of things almost every year, they get a yawn from many people here. Same for the Falcons. The Thrashers left town as well for lack of support and bad management.
Yes. I remenber the bumper stickers:

"GO BRAVES"
and take the Falcons with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,564,734 times
Reputation: 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes. I remember the bumper stickers:

"GO BRAVES"
and take the Falcons with you.
Ha that's classic. I am torn if the Braves ever returned to Milwaukee(in theory) since the Brewers have been here since 1969 and the name "brewers" was our first professional team name back in 1902 before the team moved to STL and eventually Baltimore to become the O's. The Braves never should've left Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,790,963 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and this is your right to disagree, whole-heartedly or otherwise. I just happen to think we lose something when loyalty goes out the window.
We lose something every time we make a decision.
Wave function collapse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I am not suggesting every player spend his/her entire career with the same team or people should not better themselves, even if this means changing companies. I think you are spinning this to mean something I did not mean. I am talking about the constant changing that occurs, be it in corporate work (how quickly a company can let someone go just to hire someone at less pay) how quickly an athlete can jump from team to team or management can dump him/her for something they think is better. Oh well, you and I don't agree on anything, so I will leave it there.

Nita
You seem to be suggesting that individuals aren't best equipped to make decisions for themselves. If a player wants to sign a 5 year contract to play in NY. Let him. If a player wants to signe a 1 year contract to playin St. Louis, then a 1 year contract to play in LA, then a 1 year contract to play in Chicago who, other than the player, should have a say otherwise?

I'd urge to to read this book to increase your understanding of baseball players and their contracts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top