U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV eeil0311 View Post
But is the fundamental premise that "baseball is less popular" actually true? Is attendance now as opposed to say 30 years ago significantly down, even as the fan has cable, satellite, and online options for watching games they never had 30 years ago?

I don't subscribe to the theory that baseball is less popular, but if it is, how are we measuring? Attendance at the ballpark doesn't necessarily portray a true picture, given the new media that I mentioned that weren't around previously.
Maybe it seems less popular because some sport are becoming more popular and the seasons are overlapping so much it is hard to consentrate on one of them. Football starts 6 weeks before baseball is over, baseball start 2 months before basketball is over and we have golf on the tube every weekend, not to mention horse racing, hockey, tennis and who knows what else. :smack, I think you are on to something. If a sport wasn't popular would there be so many players from other countries wanting to come here and play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,012,244 times
I think a lot of people (like myself) starting losing interest in baseball after they folded the season midway through 1994. Then completely turned their backs on the sport after the steroid scandals.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,394 times
I think people just might need to be more educated in the sport.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:55 PM

198 posts, read 434,420 times
I'll watch any sport, any time. My favorite sport is whatever's in season.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:04 PM

167 posts, read 233,750 times
To quote Brad Pitt's character (Billy Beane) in Moneyball, "How can you not be romantic about baseball?"

That to me sums it up. People romanticize (the older generation, especially) about the game because it was once America's pastime. But is it as popular today as it once was? It is in some cities, but the answer is no for the most part. It's lost some ground to football and basketball.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 AM

47,980 posts, read 45,435,742 times
I happened to be listening to the radio a few days ago. According to the person talking, it takes a long time to make alot of money in baseball, and our society is alot about NOW NOW NOW!!. He said that for that reason, no "true" athletes are attracted to it, stating that if you get a high school student who is 6'4" 240 pounds, it would be easier to get that student to play college football or college basketball than it would be to get him to play baseball. More money is put into football and basketball. The more I think about it, I am thinking about why he said it takes longer to make money in baseball. In football and basketball, one can go pro relatively quickly and start making alot of money QUICKLY. Where as, baseball is a longer process. Most of the time, you have to go through the minor leagues to get to the major leagues, so it takes a while to get to the money. Basically, our society is that in which we want everything NOW, and baseball is a game where you have to wait a bit longer, you have to slow down a bit more, be more willing to wait, and I'm not just talking about going pro. I'm talking about the game in general.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:04 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,735,452 times
Some athletes choose basketball and football because they don't have enough talent to play baseball. Michael Jordan and John Elway are two good examples.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:45 PM

16,521 posts, read 20,961,579 times
With John Elway it was football all the way. I think we all know how poorly Jordon did with Birmingham so I'll just discuss Elway's situation.

He was drafted in 1979 by the K.C. Royals #18. As great of a 2 sport guy that he was in high school, he elected to go to Stanford. He set numerous NCAA records there and was one of the finalists for the Heisman Trophy which eventually was won by Herschel Walker of Georgia. Stanford University isn't known as football first and education second. Elway graduated with a degree in economics. Just a year earlier (1982) George Steinbrenner took a shot at Elway in the 2nd round in the 1982 draft. During the summer of 1982 Elway played in the minors for Oneonta in the New York/Pennsylvania league, batting .318 in 42 games.

Whether the debate if Elway could have been a major league star doesn't make much difference as Elway wanted to go with football all the way. And Elway had leverage with his baseball skills as at that time the Baltimore Colts finished as the worst club in pro football. And Elway knew just how disfunctional the Colt franchise was as they had been disfunctional for the last few years. Keep in mind this was the organization that blew out of Baltimore in the middle of the night one night in early 1984.

I'm not so sure Elway didn't have this plan in mind when Steinbrenner drafted him in '82. Jordon hit all of .202 in 127 games for the AA league Birmingham Barons. Elway hit.318. I think Elway could have been a good player but an eventual HOF player? I kind of doubt it but you never know considering how things played out in 1983. I never saw him on the diamond. I did see him at Mile High Stadium pitch 80 m.p.h. fastballs at his receivers, so fast his passes were known as the "Elway cross."

Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,825,669 times
OP: There's much love for baseball in certain Latino communities. MLB has players and coaching staff from the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, etc. Since Hispanics are the fastest-growing demographic in America, I highly doubt baseball is becoming "more despised." If anything, I'd guess the opposite of that, even without the growing Hispanic demographic. It's part of American culture - Enough said. If you want to watch a game without missing a beat, you can. If you want to have a game on in the background while you're cooking and only truly watch when the announcers are excited, you can do that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or