U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,225 posts, read 1,817,680 times
Reputation: 546

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
But, I think the days where someone from Omaha or rural West Texas, or North Carolina was a baseball fanatic are in the past (for now). It's just not on the national consciousness like it was. In 1930 or 1950 or 1980, your average kid in those places would probably, at least, generally follow baseball, and know what was going on. Today, the average kid in those places may not be able to name 10 MLB teams.
I wouldn't underestimate the Omaha baseball market.

The city just spent $131 million on a baseball stadium whose main tenant is the College World Series 2 weeks of the year. The Royals AAA affiliate also set attendance records this past season in Omaha. One of the best if not the best baseball markets in the country w/o a pro team IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 AM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 2,918,743 times
Reputation: 1519
I don't think baseball is despised. I do think its least watched until there are no other competing sports. Growing up I loved Baseball. My opinion changed because its so slow, each pitch and batting attempt includes a serious of nut grabbing, spitting and looking around. Baseball should implement a 10 second rule. 10 seconds to throw the pitch after receiving it from the catcher. That delay kills me.

Finally, that strike in the 90s lost me as a fan. I rarely watch a full game. But the Steroid era almost got me back. I loved watching McGwuire/Sosa/Bonds hit those bombing Homeruns. Personally, I loved the Steroid era, they should allow roids with strict doctor oversight, allowing a certain level. Bring them back. The reality is that all of these court cases has turned fans off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 18 days ago)
 
48,276 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I don't think baseball is despised. I do think its least watched until there are no other competing sports. Growing up I loved Baseball. My opinion changed because its so slow, each pitch and batting attempt includes a serious of nut grabbing, spitting and looking around. Baseball should implement a 10 second rule. 10 seconds to throw the pitch after receiving it from the catcher. That delay kills me.

Finally, that strike in the 90s lost me as a fan. I rarely watch a full game. But the Steroid era almost got me back. I loved watching McGwuire/Sosa/Bonds hit those bombing Homeruns. Personally, I loved the Steroid era, they should allow roids with strict doctor oversight, allowing a certain level. Bring them back. The reality is that all of these court cases has turned fans off.
I tend to think differently. I was born in the 1980's, so for me, the strike was no big deal. I wasn't even paying attention at the age of 8. As I got older and became more of a fan than ever before, it was the home runs from ken Griffey Jr that kept me glued to the game. I didn't have much respect for McGwire or Sosa or Bonds. When I found out Bonds and McGwire were using steroids, I was like "whatever", I never cared for them anyway. To me, the fact that Griffey could hit home runs without steroids makes him stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Hometown of Jason Witten
5,985 posts, read 3,739,366 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Most people who dislike baseball don't think there is any strategy going on between play action.
People who don't realize that strategy is going on between play action don't know enough about the game to offer any meaningful input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 11,023,182 times
Reputation: 9460
I don't think baseball is despised. I think there are better options for most sports fans. Baseball is a very slow moving game and there are so many games in a season. It just doesn't feel special or as exciting as other sports. Plus most of the quaint, natural grass, open air fields of my childhood have been replaced by huge, enclosed, concrete stadiums that don't feel authentic to me. Time is a limited commodity and a lot of people would rather spend their time doing other things than sitting through a baseball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Hometown of Jason Witten
5,985 posts, read 3,739,366 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I don't think baseball is despised. I think there are better options for most sports fans. Baseball is a very slow moving game and there are so many games in a season. It just doesn't feel special or as exciting as other sports. Plus most of the quaint, natural grass, open air fields of my childhood have been replaced by huge, enclosed, concrete stadiums that don't feel authentic to me. Time is a limited commodity and a lot of people would rather spend their time doing other things than sitting through a baseball game.
I've been hearing and reading comments like this for 50 years, but reports of baseball's demise have been greatly exaggerated. I'm not a fan of pro basketball or hockey, but I don't waste my time going on those forums and telling those fans what a rotten sport they are following. The idea is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,550,430 times
Reputation: 10490
"Despised" was much too strong an adjective. I do think that as a result of what television has done to the game, there are fewer fans who have as thorough an understanding of the game as in former years--as well as a new generation of people who find it easier than ever to look down their noses at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 14,322,024 times
Reputation: 6904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I don't think baseball is despised. I think there are better options for most sports fans. Baseball is a very slow moving game and there are so many games in a season. It just doesn't feel special or as exciting as other sports. Plus most of the quaint, natural grass, open air fields of my childhood have been replaced by huge, enclosed, concrete stadiums that don't feel authentic to me. Time is a limited commodity and a lot of people would rather spend their time doing other things than sitting through a baseball game.
This supports my post on page 1. Most people want to see hard hitting action and plenty of body contact. Also, very few people understand the strategy of baseball, which is necessary to know that baseball is more than physical action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 18 days ago)
 
48,276 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
"Despised" was much too strong an adjective. I do think that as a result of what television has done to the game, there are fewer fans who have as thorough an understanding of the game as in former years--as well as a new generation of people who find it easier than ever to look down their noses at it.
Football and basketball have been televised and they are more popular than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,550,430 times
Reputation: 10490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Most people want to see hard hitting action and plenty of body contact.
...Although that doesn't explain why the National Hockey League is never ranked higher than fourth among the Big Four of professional sports in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top