U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,890,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Football and basketball have been televised and they are more popular than ever.
I still think MLB is more popular overall than the NBA. I think in terms of popularity, baseball is second only to the NFL (but in my book, baseball is first).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,214,847 times
I think baseball is growing just not MLB or at least MLB isn't growing at the same rate as the rest of the game. Minor league baseball is more popula rnow than it has been in a long time, and college baseball is more popular now than ever before.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 AM

48,487 posts, read 45,684,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I still think MLB is more popular overall than the NBA. I think in terms of popularity, baseball is second only to the NFL (but in my book, baseball is first).
I don't know. At my university, more people get excited over the NBA finals or March Madness than the World Series. More and more people are knowing less about baseball these days, at least where I'm at.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I think baseball is growing just not MLB or at least MLB isn't growing at the same rate as the rest of the game. Minor league baseball is more popula rnow than it has been in a long time, and college baseball is more popular now than ever before.
Maybe, but I identify with MLB more than I do the minors or college baseball. And I don't know many people who know of minor league baseball.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,214,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe, but I identify with MLB more than I do the minors or college baseball. And I don't know many people who know of minor league baseball.
Yes, but you live in the metro area of a city with an MLB team. Despite the presence of the Gwinnett Braves and Georgia Tech, the Atlanta metro area is an MLB area. You have to go to areas which do not have MLB teams within easy driving distance to see the interest in minor league teams and to a lesser extent college teams.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Yes, but you live in the metro area of a city with an MLB team. Despite the presence of the Gwinnett Braves and Georgia Tech, the Atlanta metro area is an MLB area. You have to go to areas which do not have MLB teams within easy driving distance to see the interest in minor league teams and to a lesser extent college teams.
I do live in an MLB city. I don't root for the Braves, or any minor league or NCAA team. I still watch major league baseball. I identify with MLB because I identify with a certain city.

On the other hand, I notice that football is still drawing more people than baseball, or at least that it what I notice. This is just where I live. The Braves are still popular, but popularity is waning.

With Braves fans, you have people like me, who root for other teams. I once lived in Seattle, so I still root for the M's. I know some Yankees and Phillies fans.

My big question is about baseball in general. I still like baseball. I am noticing over the years that less people like baseball.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,474,678 times
Baseball transcends mere sport -- it is the essence of the universe. But baseball has been taken over by an administrative construct, which has dragged it back down beyond mere sport and into oligarchy economics.

Beginning right at the Little Leagues level. No longer do kids play ball spontaneously on any suitable space, adjusting the rules to suit the conditions of play. They now have to be driven there in Mommy's minivan, in uniforms supplied by an insurance agent, wearing batting helmets, with umpires paid out of municipal recreation funds.

Baseball is the most conspicuous casualty of an era in which parents are afraid to let kids play outdoors, so they've become addicted to their video games and texting socialization, so that now baseball intrudes in their lives, rather than enriching it.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM

52,179 posts, read 41,981,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Yes, the typical NBA franchise is worth about 2/3 of the typical MLB franchise.

However, 30 years ago it would have been laughable to even think of comparing the two.

NBA will pass MLB in the US within 20 years....which speaks volumes.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:00 AM

167 posts, read 234,201 times
MLB really suffers from a PR perspective because there's no salary cap. Yankees/Red Sox and Angels/Rangers already have their respective divisions and the two wild cards locked up. The other division winner, Detroit, is shelling out the big bucks as well.

The other major negative factor is the long duration of the regular season. The matchups feel a bit diluted and anticlimatic due to the fact that they're organized in series.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 AM

167 posts, read 234,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, the typical NBA franchise is worth about 2/3 of the typical MLB franchise.

However, 30 years ago it would have been laughable to even think of comparing the two.

NBA will pass MLB in the US within 20 years....which speaks volumes.
I don't know about that, but the NBA is certainly gaining in popularity while MLB is becoming increasingly lackluster (that will change if the Dodgers and Cubs consistently make the playoffs and the latter finally wins a World Series). I think a lot of it has to do with the generation gap and how the NBA has absolutely mastered the use of social media to galvanize a younger audience. The star-driven matchups/storylines also generate a buzz that is sorely lacking with MLB.

I still think MLB is solidly #2 among the four major leagues and that the only way the NBA even comes close to overtaking MLB is if the Knicks become a powerhouse franchise. That's the one major advantage MLB has over the NBA -- the Yankees are far and away the most popular team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or