U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM

25,279 posts, read 20,346,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Young people live in the world if instant gratification and they feel the need to be constantly excited and titillated by the media.

BASEBALL DOES NOT PROVIDE THAT!

You shouldn't be surprised that younger people are no longer interested in baseball. Also baseball is usually something that you develop a love for at a young age that usually stays with you for life. It is something that is usually introduce to a youngster BY THEIR FATHER. In a nation with more single parent homes headed by women WHO INTRODUCES KIDS TO BASEBALL?

NOBODY!
Interesting you mention fathers. My father got me into baseball when I was 10. He got my brother into baseball. However, my brother was more of the athlete. than me. He is currently playing baseball at a private college. I am still watching baseball to this day.

However, I know many people who have fathers and don't like baseball.

Maybe I could understand the culture of instant gratification. I know many people who can't sit and watch baseball. I can sit and watch a baseball game, and just kick back and have a steak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 PM

13,391 posts, read 15,258,012 times
Baseball doesn't have the explosive actions fans look for in a sport today.

Look at the highlights of any sports show, it will show basketball dunks (usually with over-the-top player theatrics after the dunk) and jarring NFL hits (again with player theatrics). Baseball doesn't feature this, and a lot of kids growing up today just view it as boring.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,499,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am a baseball fan. I have been a baseball fan since the 90's. Despite never having been to a World Series, I still root for the Mariners. I like soccer as well. However, I am noticing, that baseball is becoming more and more disliked. I am finding this attitude among the young people, American and foreign alike. What is it about baseball that more and more people are not liking?
im not from seattle but i've watched the mariners play in seattle.. in a meaningless game against the reds in 2010.. and the stadium was PACKED. so i dont know exactly what you're basing this on. the atmosphere was one of the best i've ever experienced at a baseball game too.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
im not from seattle but i've watched the mariners play in seattle.. in a meaningless game against the reds in 2010.. and the stadium was PACKED. so i dont know exactly what you're basing this on. the atmosphere was one of the best i've ever experienced at a baseball game too.
That was because you were among people at the stadium. I haven't been to a baseball stadium in years. What I experience is limited to what I get on a college campus. Today, last night I was at Taco Mac. I was watching a baseball game. Everyone else was more interesting in watching college basketball.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:18 AM

5,690 posts, read 2,190,554 times
Quote:
That was because you were among people at the stadium. I haven't been to a baseball stadium in years. What I experience is limited to what I get on a college campus. Today, last night I was at Taco Mac. I was watching a baseball game. Everyone else was more interesting in watching college basketball.
Of course they were. It was a national championship game.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Of course they were. It was a national championship game.
I was busy watching a baseball game. I watch baseball, soccer, and hockey. I don't watch basketball. I was all too happy for baseball season to begin.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 AM

2,813 posts, read 3,120,207 times
I think you have to figure out why baseball was so popular from 1900 to 1950 or 1970.

-I think there was a lot of psychology involved. The country evolved/prospered from the 1800's. Got more industrialized. People had more money and disposable income. How many people had disposable income in 1840 or 1860 to see a baseball game (if it had been invented and organized). Not very many.

There were advanced in medicine. More leisure time. The world moved away from an agriculturally based society, and got more industrialized. You could sit around with a newspaper, radio. I don't know the history of refrigerators, but there were a lot of changes from 1900 to 1930, 1940.

I think baseball had such a jump on football and basketball, it was like the leader captured 90% of the market by 1940, 1950. Plus the lack of TV.

-Plus it was more of a heartland sport...i.e. Field of Dreams, Mickey Mantle, etc.

I think cable benefited other sports more than baseball. Esp football, basketball.

TV has made football so big because it has a young audience.

-I think football has out marketed them since 1970 or 1980. The superbowl use to be just a regular game. Now it's $2 million for an advertisement. Why didn't the World Series get that? And college has done well promoting things...i.e. march madness.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM

I was talking to some friends of mine last night. One of them told me that baseball requires a time commitment. Maybe it's the instant gratification culture, as someone else mentioned. I get the game. I've played it. For me, baseball is more than a game. It's an art. One has to want to sit and watch for a long time in order to get it.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 AM

5,690 posts, read 2,190,554 times
Quote:
I was busy watching a baseball game. I watch baseball, soccer, and hockey. I don't watch basketball. I was all too happy for baseball season to begin.
Baseball is my favorite sport, but on the night you're referring to I chose the Kentucky-Kansas title game over a meaningless exhibition baseball game. I would have also chosen it over a regular season game unless the Yankees were involved.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Baseball transcends mere sport -- it is the essence of the universe. But baseball has been taken over by an administrative construct, which has dragged it back down beyond mere sport and into oligarchy economics.

Beginning right at the Little Leagues level. No longer do kids play ball spontaneously on any suitable space, adjusting the rules to suit the conditions of play. They now have to be driven there in Mommy's minivan, in uniforms supplied by an insurance agent, wearing batting helmets, with umpires paid out of municipal recreation funds.

Baseball is the most conspicuous casualty of an era in which parents are afraid to let kids play outdoors, so they've become addicted to their video games and texting socialization, so that now baseball intrudes in their lives, rather than enriching it.
This is one of the best posts I have ever read on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball