Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Baseball transcends mere sport -- it is the essence of the universe. But baseball has been taken over by an administrative construct, which has dragged it back down beyond mere sport and into oligarchy economics.

Beginning right at the Little Leagues level. No longer do kids play ball spontaneously on any suitable space, adjusting the rules to suit the conditions of play. They now have to be driven there in Mommy's minivan, in uniforms supplied by an insurance agent, wearing batting helmets, with umpires paid out of municipal recreation funds.

Baseball is the most conspicuous casualty of an era in which parents are afraid to let kids play outdoors, so they've become addicted to their video games and texting socialization, so that now baseball intrudes in their lives, rather than enriching it.
Basketball and football are run the same way, and it hasn't become some conspicuous casualty of this era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Basketball and football are run the same way, and it hasn't become some conspicuous casualty of this era.
No they're not. Football and basketball are not organized into socialization leagues for kids the way baseball and soccer are. Moms don't drive their kids to play football or basketball under rigid discipline on public playgrounds according to league scheduling. Mainly, the differences arises from the season of the year. Baseball would be played during kids' leisure days, while football and basketball are played on school days, so have always been school-associated activities. Baseball is the leisure-time game, and leisure time for kids has become so regimented that their activities are forced upon them under duress. In the minds of far too many kids, baseball is associated with jail.

Baseball is not a game played by kids who want to play it, it is played by kids whose moms make them play it. That's the difference, and that is a large part of the reason it is becoming deapised.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I am a baseball fan. I have been a baseball fan since the 90's. Despite never having been to a World Series, I still root for the Mariners. I like soccer as well. However, I am noticing, that baseball is becoming more and more disliked. I am finding this attitude among the young people, American and foreign alike. What is it about baseball that more and more people are not liking?
I don't think that is really true, but I do know it isn't "Americas game" like it was until about 20 years ago. This does not mean people are not still fans and where you get the idea about foreigners, i have no idea. If the sport wasn't still loved, not hated you wouldn't see the ballparks full or nearly at all games. You wouldn't see, even bleacher seats priced at $15.00 and more, depending on the fireld? Now, why has it lost some of its appeal? My guess, partly the salaries, and the other the scandals. Our son was a pro player (minors) in the early 80s. He was a 5th round draft choice and was thrilled to sign for 25 grand. His salary?I think it was $1300 or $1500 a month, only during the season. He did have medical insurance, no other benies. We didn't even go to the games free. If it hadn't been for a severe arm injury while playing AA he would have made it to the show as he called it. Ask him what he thinks of todays salaries, and the cry baby players? He now has 2 sons and it doesn't look like either will be baseball players.

I will add, we are still very much a baseball family.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think that is really true, but I do know it isn't "Americas game" like it was until about 20 years ago. This does not mean people are not still fans and where you get the idea about foreigners, i have no idea. If the sport wasn't still loved, not hated you wouldn't see the ballparks full or nearly at all games. You wouldn't see, even bleacher seats priced at $15.00 and more, depending on the fireld? Now, why has it lost some of its appeal? My guess, partly the salaries, and the other the scandals. Our son was a pro player (minors) in the early 80s. He was a 5th round draft choice and was thrilled to sign for 25 grand. His salary?I think it was $1300 or $1500 a month, only during the season. He did have medical insurance, no other benies. We didn't even go to the games free. If it hadn't been for a severe arm injury while playing AA he would have made it to the show as he called it. Ask him what he thinks of todays salaries, and the cry baby players? He now has 2 sons and it doesn't look like either will be baseball players.

I will add, we are still very much a baseball family.
Well, most of the foreigners I'm around(college students in their 20s) prefer soccer over baseball. The main reason I get out of it is "baseball is too slow" or "I don't understand the sport". I have met some Japanese people, as well as Koreans and some people from Latin America who like baseball. Most of the foreigners who have made less than stellar remarks about baseball have either been from Europe, South Asia, or Africa. And even some Americans I'm around seem to dislike baseball. I do like soccer. However, whenever I have brought up baseball, I have met quite a few people lately, American, and foreign alike, who make bad comments about baseball.

As for the other stuff you have said, it doesn't seem to matter to me. I keep watching baseball anyway. I don't worry about alot of that stuff.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Well, most of the foreigners I'm around(college students in their 20s) prefer soccer over baseball. The main reason I get out of it is "baseball is too slow" or "I don't understand the sport". I have met some Japanese people, as well as Koreans and some people from Latin America who like baseball. Most of the foreigners who have made less than stellar remarks about baseball have either been from Europe, South Asia, or Africa. And even some Americans I'm around seem to dislike baseball. I do like soccer. However, whenever I have brought up baseball, I have met quite a few people lately, American, and foreign alike, who make bad comments about baseball.

As for the other stuff you have said, it doesn't seem to matter to me. I keep watching baseball anyway. I don't worry about alot of that stuff.
When you talk about foreign students or people period from Europe or Africa their preferance to soccer is understandable. In those countries soccer is as big as baseball, basketball and football is here. Do you see lots of Americans paying big bucks to go to soccer games? If baseball isn't a popular sport how do you explain the crowds and how do you explain the number for young men from other countries playing in America today? I am not trying to start a WW over this but I think your exposure to mostly college kids is a pretty limited exposrue to how people really feel about the sport or any sport for that matter. It would be like my saying, I think football is the only sport people really like anymore because all those I know in my community, which is filled with seniors, favor it over basketball and baseball. Or all people over 50 must love golf because look at all the golf cources within 20 miles of our home?

Maybe you could convince more of us that the sport isn't very popular if you told us what kind of bad comments they are making.

Nita

Old 04-17-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
When you talk about foreign students or people period from Europe or Africa their preferance to soccer is understandable. In those countries soccer is as big as baseball, basketball and football is here. Do you see lots of Americans paying big bucks to go to soccer games? If baseball isn't a popular sport how do you explain the crowds and how do you explain the number for young men from other countries playing in America today? I am not trying to start a WW over this but I think your exposure to mostly college kids is a pretty limited exposrue to how people really feel about the sport or any sport for that matter. It would be like my saying, I think football is the only sport people really like anymore because all those I know in my community, which is filled with seniors, favor it over basketball and baseball. Or all people over 50 must love golf because look at all the golf cources within 20 miles of our home?

Maybe you could convince more of us that the sport isn't very popular if you told us what kind of bad comments they are making.

Nita
The bad comments I'm hearing are mainly "baseball sucks" or "baseball takes too long".

I'm mostly around college students all day, and I being limited in transportation, that is who I'm mostly around.

What I'm noticing is mainly a pattern where I'm running into more people who seem to dislike baseball, at least where I live. And I'm seeing it with Americans too, especially under 30. What I'm noticing is a pattern where I live.

It's interesting you mention basketball and football. I'm finding many people from other countries actually like basketball and football, at least in the environment I'm in.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Let me rephrase the question. I don't despise baseball. However, alot of people I come into contact with don't like baseball. I am running into more people who don't like baseball than ever. I am around many international students and whenever basketball season comes around, everyone is thrilled about it. Whenever it's baseball season, no one cares. It isn't just international students. Whenever the Super Bowl, March Madness, or SEC football is in season, I see alot of American students flocking for that. When it was the World Series, much fewer people.

Whenever I have tried to talk about baseball with some people, I have personally heard stuff like "baseball is boring" or "baseball takes too long". Alot of baseball fans I run into are people who have played baseball, or people over 30. I am finding fewer and fewer people under 30 who like baseball as much as I did back in the 1990's.
Just about everyone I know who didn't grow up a baseball fan simply finds it to be boring. Now, how people from other countries can love soccer to pieces and find baseball boring is beyond me. Basketball is quite popular in other countries, and baseball tends to only be popular in countries that have a past with the U.S.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 PM

ok, so some say they find it boring, but as you say, they are from other countries. Many of us find soccer boring, rugby hard to understand and some other sports stupid. What about watching golf, talk about boring? Every sport has its fans and has those who can't stand it. OP I still don't think, you have enough exposure to the outside world to think, because some you talk to think is sucks or is boring represents the overall American society.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
ok, so some say they find it boring, but as you say, they are from other countries. Many of us find soccer boring, rugby hard to understand and some other sports stupid. What about watching golf, talk about boring? Every sport has its fans and has those who can't stand it. OP I still don't think, you have enough exposure to the outside world to think, because some you talk to think is sucks or is boring represents the overall American society.
I agree with you. People from other countries can't understand why Americans don't go crazy over soccer.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
I am a baseball fan. I have been a baseball fan since the 90's. Despite never having been to a World Series, I still root for the Mariners. I like soccer as well. However, I am noticing, that baseball is becoming more and more disliked. I am finding this attitude among the young people, American and foreign alike. What is it about baseball that more and more people are not liking?
I think it depends possibly on where in the country you live. In the northeast, Chicago, St. Louis and other places it's definitely not the case. In those parts of the country people fill the stands and are very passionate about baseball.

Here in Atlanta where I live now (originally from the northeast), college football is all people care about, and pro sports in general are ignored. Even though the Braves are in the thick of things almost every year, they get a yawn from many people here. Same for the Falcons. The Thrashers left town as well for lack of support and bad management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball