U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,805,512 times

Advertisements

Chris Archer his major league debut for the Rays.

He's not as good as the recent wave of Rays pitchers (Matt Moore, David Price, etc) but his first game was impressive.

He was hung with the loss but that means absolutely nothing. Archer went 6 innings walking 1, striking out 7 and getting 7 ground balls. That type of performance should result in 1.66 runs allowed, which is, of course, outstanding.

Archer threw 82 pitches. Brooksbaseball classified 42 of them as 4-seam fastballs averaging 93 MPH with a high of 97 MPH. He also threw 20 sliders, 13 curves, 5 change ups and 2 2-seam fastballs. He only generated 4 swinging strikes which doesn't bode well for continuing to K over a batter per inning. Archer has battled control problems in the minors as he's walked about 5 per 9 in his minor league career. The stuff is clearly there, he just needs to harness it.

Speaking of harnessing stuff, Archer's opponent on the mound was Stephen Strasburg. Stras had a ho-hum day. 7 innings, 2 walks and 10 K's. He gave up 2 runs which raised his ERA slightly.

Another young player that you may have heard of, Bryce Harper, reached base 2 out of 3 times in the game, driving in and scoring a run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Justin Masterson with a great complete game win for the 1st place Indians, no earned runs allowed. A fielding error by the shortstop allowed the only Reds baserunner to score.

Masterson faced only 3 batters for 7 of his 9 innings, and struck out the side in the 9th.
Said this about Masterson before last season.
Quote:
Justin Masterson is a good pitcher as well. If he could only face right-handed batters he'd be an excellent pitcher:
vs R: 8.8 K/9, 2.9 BB/9, 2.96 FIP
But pretty bad vs left-handed pitchers:
vs L: 5.4 K/9, 4.3 BB/9, 4.78 FIP
How's he done since then, I wondered to myself

2011 vs R: 8.38 K/9, 3.54 BB/9, 2.83 FIP
2011 vs L: 5.13 K/9, 2.04 BB/9, 3.65 FIP

2012 vs R: 8.86 K/9, 3.09 BB/9, 3.22 FIP
2012 vs L: 5.04 K/9, 5.04 BB/9, 4.98 FIP

He's been about the same vs righties and continues to struggle vs lefties.

The most effective pitch vs opposite-handed hitters is a changeup. Masterson doesn't throw one.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 AM

706 posts, read 1,810,197 times
Wednesday, there were three Complete Games pitched in MLB, plus four more in which the starter and bullpen allowed only three hits. Two of them (TB's Archer and Hou's Lyles) were losing efforts in which the other pitcher got credit for the gem. Archer and Lyles combined have a total of one win so far on the season.

Jake Westbrook threw 81 strikes in his complete game.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 AM

MOD CUT

The Red Sox called up Ryan Kalish. Kalish was one of the Sox more highly rated prospects but has fallen out of favor somewhat recently. He doesn't have any outstanding skills but is solid in most areas.

Expect something like .330/.400 (OBP and SLG) with ok defense in CF and plus defense at the corners. A useful player, not a star.

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-21-2012 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: just post without moderation comments, or postings will be deleted

Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Said this about Masterson before last season.

How's he done since then, I wondered to myself

2011 vs R: 8.38 K/9, 3.54 BB/9, 2.83 FIP
2011 vs L: 5.13 K/9, 2.04 BB/9, 3.65 FIP

2012 vs R: 8.86 K/9, 3.09 BB/9, 3.22 FIP
2012 vs L: 5.04 K/9, 5.04 BB/9, 4.98 FIP

He's been about the same vs righties and continues to struggle vs lefties.

The most effective pitch vs opposite-handed hitters is a changeup. Masterson doesn't throw one.
Masterson did throw a pretty good pitch to a left-handed hitter (maybe the best left-handed hitter in the game. Maybe the best hitter in the game) to end his complete game.

The Last Pitch of Justin Masterson’s Complete Game | FanGraphs Baseball
Quote:
a sinking fastball at 94.6 mph, according to PITCHf/x — a pitch that featured not only both more armside run and sink than the league-average sinker, but also excellent placement.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Two more 3-hitters into the 9th, Kershaw against Blackley (8 IP each). A's get 4-th hit, 3-run walkoff by Cespedes. The Dodgers got 8 hits in three games against the A's pitching.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Two more 3-hitters into the 9th, Kershaw against Blackley (8 IP each). A's get 4-th hit, 3-run walkoff by Cespedes. The Dodgers got 8 hits in three games against the A's pitching.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:01 PM

41,118 posts, read 18,599,788 times
I would have liked to have seen those LA/Oakland games but there is one more week to go before the end of what has been a two and a half year fight between my tv cable provider and Comcast Sports which televises the A's and Giants.

Until 2010, my cable carried the one Bay Area Comcast channel which televised both A's and Giants games. Then Comcast decided it could up its profits by launching a second Bay Area channel with the Giants featured on the original, and the A's on the new one. My cable provider refused to pay double for what it used to get for one price, so they did not carry the new Comcast channel.

So, over the last two and a half seasons, the only time I have seen the A's has been when they played the Giants in interleague, or the one of two times they were featured in an ESPN televised game. It has been a real bummer because the A's telecasts were my overview of not just the A's, but all the AL teams.

I do not know how it was settled, but my cable outfit has announced that starting June 28th, they will be carrying that second Comcast channel.

Welcome back American League games...I've missed you.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Has anybody considered a class-action lawsuit against Major League Baseball, for conspiring to obstruct viewing the games through a subscription package, such as mlb.tv on the internet, which continued to observe a secondary coverage blackout when primary coverage was in effect already blacked out? I strongly suspect that the courts have already had it up to here with these tyrannical bastards, and might rule quite favorably to the consumers of baseball.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,586,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Has anybody considered a class-action lawsuit against Major League Baseball, for conspiring to obstruct viewing the games through a subscription package, such as mlb.tv on the internet, which continued to observe a secondary coverage blackout when primary coverage was in effect already blacked out? I strongly suspect that the courts have already had it up to here with these tyrannical bastards, and might rule quite favorably to the consumers of baseball.
I feel your pain! I have MLB.TV Premium and I hate it when ESPN or fox saturday has the game of the day or night and you get a blackout because they want you to watch it on TV instead of mlb.tv What the helll am I paying 130 for then? also FSN-WI is owned and operated by FSN which is from the twin cities and carries Twins and Wild games and some not all but some Twins games are blackout for me. Fine! you want another $20 from me to cover these blackout games then charge me 150 a year! I'll pay it every year. What is also weird is some random white sox and cubs games get blackout for me on mlb.tv I have just assumed it was because it was my game of the region on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or