U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I failed to mention yesterday --- and I'm surprised no one else did --- that it was Jackie Robinson Day in MLB. Everybody wore number 42. Quite a sight.
Did you note my comment that in at least one case, a player was put into a game and even the official scorer didn't find out who he was until the next inning? Quite a sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM

46,985 posts, read 37,115,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Did you note my comment that in at least one case, a player was put into a game and even the official scorer didn't find out who he was until the next inning? Quite a sight.
That scorer experience had to have been a hoot. Sorry I missed that. (LOL) Wouldn't be too surprised if such occurred in every ballpark yesterday.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM

46,985 posts, read 37,115,037 times
'Stros face ol' Stephen Strasburg tonight in D.C. Kyle Weiland will take the hill for Houston.

Saw a little of ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball with the Yanks and Angels last night, and I have to admit, I'm still trying to get used to Terry Francona in the booth with Dan and Orel.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 PM

41,198 posts, read 18,619,681 times
Tonight in San Francisco features one two time Cy Young award winner against another....Halladay vs Lincecum.

Of course Halladay makes his third start after going 2-0, 0.60 ERA, 8 strikeouts and one walk, while Lincecum takes the mound for the third time after two god awful outings, including his shortest start ever his last time out. Tim is 0-1 with a 12.91 ERA, having given up 14 hits and 3 walks in 7.2 innings. He will probably need to pitch better than that to beat Halladay and the Phillies.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM

41,198 posts, read 18,619,681 times
Yikes...what has happened to Tim Lincecum?

It is already 4-0 Philadelphia in the first with Lincecum having retired just one batter.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 AM

72,114 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
This is why we need facts.

Grandstander posted upthread about coin flips. Thats an apt comparison. Get a coin flip it 162 times.
Record the numer of heads and tails and the longest streaks.
Repeat this like 50 times.
Measure the corrolation between streaks and number of heads or tails and number of heads or tails above 50.
Report back to us.

On a botched umpire call. It certainly wasn't AJ Ellis superb fielding that caused the play to happen. And Ellis certainly isn't one of the best catchers in the league.

No. I wasnt born then.
But this doesn't help to make your point.
We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I see it one way, you the other. I am the eternal optimist I guess. Umpire mistake, maybe but it still goes down as a triple play? I don't believe anyone said he was one of the best catchers in the league. My point sitll is and will remain, we are just fans, not experts and we can disagree. Let's keep this thread fun, not a "nay, nay, nay" childs game. OK?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 AM

72,114 posts, read 83,786,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I failed to mention yesterday --- and I'm surprised no one else did --- that it was Jackie Robinson Day in MLB. Everybody wore number 42. Quite a sight.
dah, thanks. We were watching baseball on TV and still didn't pick up on that. Boy are we slipping. Hubby did make some comment about everyone wearing Jackie's number but I don't think is picked on why??? You were sure on the ball more than we were.

Nita

Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,813,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree on this. I see it one way, you the other. I am the eternal optimist I guess.
Optimism is a great quality but it does not really have a place in evaluation.

Quote:
Umpire mistake, maybe but it still goes down as a triple play?
Of course.

Quote:
I don't believe anyone said he was one of the best catchers in the league.
You used the triple play to refute the fact that the Dodgers have inferior players. Inferior players can still turn a triple play.

Quote:
My point sitll is and will remain, we are just fans, not experts and we can disagree. Let's keep this thread fun, not a "nay, nay, nay" childs game. OK?
Somethings are able to be disagreed upon. Others are not because they are supported by fact.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM

12,276 posts, read 11,343,460 times
The Phils have figured out Timmy. For now....

Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Tonight in San Francisco features one two time Cy Young award winner against another....Halladay vs Lincecum.

Of course Halladay makes his third start after going 2-0, 0.60 ERA, 8 strikeouts and one walk, while Lincecum takes the mound for the third time after two god awful outings, including his shortest start ever his last time out. Tim is 0-1 with a 12.91 ERA, having given up 14 hits and 3 walks in 7.2 innings. He will probably need to pitch better than that to beat Halladay and the Phillies.
Who do you think are two greatest pitchers who ever faced each other in their prime? None of the old-timers who won 300+ ever did, except Mathewson vs Plank in that Series in which all games were shutouts. I saw Spahn face Roberts one night, Roberts pitched a 1-hitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or